The driving

+
I'm not saying the skill systems will work like GTA V. I was just saying GTA V had it so it's not totally unreasonable for a game that has skills and is an RPG to also have a driving stat, with more depth.

It probably depends on how important driving is in the game. After all, there is no riding skill in The Witcher 3 either. Then again, since driving is already a skill in 2020, it might appear in 2077 even if it does not make that much difference if you have low or high skill.

Gameplay shown to the press kinda proved that there will be chases and car fighting, so probably you'll unlock new abilities (handbrake 360, stuff like that) that may enhance your driving abilities as you upgrade the driving skill, but if you don't you'll probably get stuck to a very basic driving level.
Also, they maybe planned a car part system (missions about going to steal some expensive parts for a gang's underground garage in the combat zone?), having to repair your car/ ride, etc... (Or build one with your techie ability), there's plenty stuff to make with a dedicated skill (mostly that there's a Techie role...).
Think about a nomad, mad max style character, he'd have a lot of tech and driving skill (probaly made his own car with diverse parts), able to repair or scavenge parts on other vehicules.

Like V's car in the trailer, we could imagine having a high driving skill would let him be able to have a better control of his car at high speed (in cyberpunk, cars can go up to 300km per hours...), etc...

Lots of stuff to make with the cars, there are plenty rules for them in the original pnp, so I guess it'll play a big role in-game (or they probably would'nt bother hiring experts to design vehicules), I guess we won't even have fast travel, just roads (reason why we will maybe use more a motorcycle than a car in some place), and the driving scenes will be filled with random stuff happening to mess with us, there are fast travel in games like witcher or skyrim or fallout because you're on foot, in a car distances matters less, and it would be part of the charm of the experience, having to drive your adventure throught the shitty part of night city (think about Cowboy's panzerboy job in Hardwired, or Hiro pizza delivery's job in snow crash)

I also want things that are completely off-the-wall to install.

Like a "spare tire" in the trunk that, on the push of a button, pops out of the trunk to roll down the street, with a portable EMP generator sitting in the middle of it. Allows a way to disrupt people chasing you. Maybe even something you discover when it's first used on you.

Ejector seats with parachutes for when you need to make a getaway. Make certain to also include the possibility of activating them without opening the roof in case you need a quick execution of an unruly passenger.

A grenade dispenser beneath the trunk for dealing with pursuers. Give a choice of fragmentation, flashbang, or napalm cloud.

Also, if we ever get to own a tank, I want to be able to install hydrolics on it. Might be useful for getting over blockades. Or, if they can raise the tank's body fast enough, make the tank hop. Enough speed, a ramp, and the hop and you might be able to jump a tank over things...

Speaking of tanks! Can we get one with a parachute system? We can use the cannon if we need to fly it.

Well, I have been wondering that myself. Most interviews, if not all of them that I've watched on YouTube never touched upon that, of course you can forget asking on Twitter because the Cyberpunk 2077 staff will just ignore me and move on.

The gameplay footage that went public a few months back, gave me the feeling that it does not look like anything special, just your typical arcade handling , Surely it is no racing sim, but if I am going to use a vehicle most of the time to get around, I do prefer a fun driving/riding experience.

in reference, GTA 5 for me was alright, WatchDogs 1 or 2, absolutely terrible and that didn't seem to change with their next game.

I just hope it does not turn out as bad as WatchDogs driving.

Happy to see that I am not the only one trying to find out more.

I had hoped there'd be skills determining how the driving goes. How how steady at what speeds the steering is, how cornering works etc. That's really all of my opinions on driving. But I don't think that's happening, so what ever.

I fail to grasp why this would be essential. You are literally driving the car yourself in this game. To create a system for the sole purpose of making your driving worse (which it would be for anything other than maxed skills) seems to serve no discernible purpose. Chances are, the driving is going to be plagued by arcade physics already. The game doesn't need to emphasize this. The purpose of driving will be to move from point A to point B. To make this activity more annoying makes as much sense as random encounters in D&D.

I fail to grasp why this would be essential. You are literally driving the car yourself in this game.

You are literally also doing the shooting yourself and doing melee combat and those hacking minigames and what not. Why'd those need any characterskill behind them either?

It's (driving skills) not essential, but stuff like that underlines that the game is an RPG and has its background in PnP (that does have various driving skills). It also aids the sense of progression, the sense that you're getting better. You know how those RPG progression mechanics have been seeping into other genres in various forms. It's because they're fun.

It's not just about traveling either. Think about doing a heist with a character that doesn't know how to drive a car, or attempting racing with one, or getting into a random car chase. You might have to figure out other solutions on the fly. Can't drive? Maybe you should travel with a train or a cab and leave the racing and driving stuff to other characterbuilds... or start learning.

But you shant worry. Driving skills won't be in the game, or if they will, they won't be doing anything significant enough to mention.

You are literally also doing the shooting yourself and doing melee combat and those hacking minigames and what not. Why'd those need any characterskill behind them either?

Not that I was the one to suggest skills for "guns do +1 damage", but one difference is that shooting is used to achieve an objective, while driving is just moving you from place to place.

but one difference is that shooting is used to achieve an objective, while driving is just moving you from place to place.

Driving might also mean achieving an objective. Catching someone, getting away from someone, tailing someone, being somewhere on time, winning a race... It's not that different if you think about it. There's actually more objectives to achieve there than there is for shooting, which is only to kill someone.

But if none of those apply and vehicles are just a faster substitute for walking... then there's no need for a skill.

Last edited:
"A role-playing game (sometimes spelled roleplaying game;[1][2] abbreviated RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making regarding character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines "

So basically this is an RPG, if devs decide to put something else in the system/game that they are creating then this would be an extra.

Top Bottom