The dualshock/Playstation button icons are in the game. CD Projekt didn't lie.

+
The dualshock/Playstation button icons are in the game. CD Projekt didn't lie.

TL; DR
---------
Plug your Dualshock in. Install the drivers using DS4Windows if not installed automatically by your OS (by going to settings. Scrolling all the way to the right and pressing Controller/Driver Setup then pressing the Install the DS4 Driver button.) but make sure to close it after installing the drivers because if you don't the game will think you have a Xbox controller connected. Delete/Rename xinput1_3.dll in x64 folder. Make sure all input mappers are closed. Play The Witcher 3 with Playstation Buttons.

So I did a search and didn't see a thread showing how to do this so I made this one. First CD Projekt RED didn't break their promise. The Witcher 3 does have full support of the Dualshock 4 built in including button icons. I wonder if this has been the case since launch but no one thought to delete the xinput1_3.dll to force The Witcher 3 to see other controllers besides Xbox. I guess judging by my search no one has figured this out and tons of people are asking for a mod. I'm actually surprised that CD Projekt hasn't posted this already honestly. To get the buttons to show in game simply delete and/or rename your xinput1_3.dll in your x64 folder then plug your playstation controller. That's it. Don't use any additional software though, or else it won't work. All the other button mappers work on Xinput and they will make The Witcher 3 think that the Dualshock is a Xbox controller. By deleted the xinput1_3.dll it forces the game to see what other controllers are connected besides an Xbox controller. So if you have your Dualshock plugged in it sees it as a Dualshock like it should. Of course you have to already have your Dualshock drivers installed on your computer first. You could us DS4Windows to install the drivers and then close it. Make sure it is closed though because if you don't The Witcher 3 will see the controller as an Xinput/Xbox device instead of a Directinput device like the Dualshock. If you are worried just rename xinput1_3.dll. All it is though are the calls that Xinput devices such as the Xbox controllers. Having it in the directory with the exe it makes the Witcher 3 think all controllers are Xbox controllers.

Last edited:
Aha! I've been looking for this since I started playing The Witcher 3 on PC!
I'll try it as soon as I get home later... Thanks!

If you just plug it in then it still shows the xbox buttons. If you want playstation buttons you have to delete the xinput.dll. Maybe if you never installed any drivers for a xbox controller on your system then you could just plug it in and have the playstation buttons show up. On my computer this is the only way to get The Witcher 3 to show playstation buttons in game. Actually on my PC it's half and half. I I don't delete the DLL I get playstation buttons in menus but when I'm in game the xbox buttons show on the HUD .

Last edited:
Let me rephrase:

I have PS icons and I have not deleted anything. As soon as I start the game in 1.12, PS icons are there with no further action needed by me.

@DXMG @rapture23 I can confirm that it works without deleting / renaming the xinput1_3.dll.
I turned off DS4Windows because it tricks Windows 10 that the controller that's plugged in is an Xbox controller.
As soon as I started the game, it displayed PS buttons. See the screenshot below.

For those using DS4windows, be advised that to pause / enter the menu where you save and change settings, it's now the Options button and to enter the inventory, map, quests screen, press the touchpad on your PS4 controller.

Doesn't work wireless though. Thanks for the tip guys!

---------- Updated at 11:46 PM ----------

UPDATE: I'm getting weird bugs after using this. The game would suddenly turn to a black screen. It will go back when I press the Windows key.
I'll try using DS4windows again and see if it still happens.

UPDATE: So after using DS4windows again, I didn't encounter the bug I described earlier. I'm no expert but I suspect that the Playstation controller implementation isn't fully done which is why the developers didn't include it in any patch notes.

@DXMG and @rapture23 Have you encountered any issues? I haven't tried @rapture23 's method yet though.

Attachments

• 292030_2016-01-21_00001.jpg
    292030_2016-01-21_00001.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:
Let me rephrase:

I have PS icons and I have not deleted anything. As soon as I start the game in 1.12, PS icons are there with no further action needed by me.

I understand what you meant. I'm saying that is not the case for me. The reason I posted this is for people that are having the same problem as me (mixed xbox and PS buttons). Or they don't know at all that you can play with Dualshock 4.

@DXMG @rapture23 I can confirm that it works without deleting / renaming the xinput1_3.dll.
I turned off DS4Windows because it tricks Windows 10 that the controller that's plugged in is an Xbox controller.
As soon as I started the game, it displayed PS buttons. See the screenshot below.

For those using DS4windows, be advised that to pause / enter the menu where you save and change settings, it's now the Options button and to enter the inventory, map, quests screen, press the touchpad on your PS4 controller.

Doesn't work wireless though. Thanks for the tip guys!

---------- Updated at 11:46 PM ----------

UPDATE: I'm getting weird bugs after using this. The game would suddenly turn to a black screen. It will go back when I press the Windows key.
I'll try using DS4windows again and see if it still happens.

UPDATE: So after using DS4windows again, I didn't encounter the bug I described earlier. I'm no expert but I suspect that the Playstation controller implementation isn't fully done which is why the developers didn't include it in any patch notes.

@DXMG and @rapture23 Have you encountered any issues? I haven't tried @rapture23 's method yet though.

I never had any black screen problems. It would sometimes freeze when entering menus though. The biggest problem I had was certain buttons being xbox buttons and others being playstation buttons. That's why I got rid of the DLL. So the game doesn't have any xbox controller drivers to use so there is no conflict. My problem probably exists because I used to use xbox 360 and xbox one controllers to play The Witcher 3 before I started using the Dualshock 4. I'm not even sure that this is a 1.12 exclusive feature. I'm going to try a non-patched version because I'm thinking that the playstation buttons might have been there the whole time but The Witcher 3 could only see an xbox contoller because of the DLL. Although Dualshock 4 uses directinput so that pokes some holes in my theory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom