The Edgerunners (HUGE) Bump

+
I think it's more thanks to Edgerunners. I don't remember previous updates having such an impact on player numbers(my memory might be failing me, though :) )
Just checked on Steam, in febuary, it was around 40-60K (not very precise on steam...) when 1.5 was released. But 1.6 have the transmog system, so... The series certainly participated in this sudden increase too :)
(difficult to know, the two were released a few days apart)

I think it's more thanks to Edgerunners. I don't remember previous updates having such an impact on player numbers(my memory might be failing me, though :) )
Previous updates didn't have these modding tools or transmog available and of course there's the sale. The anime definitely renewed the conversion but highly unlikely someone who wasn't interested in the game or not a gamer at all suddenly decided that's the anime made them a gamer.

I kinda think the big bump is due too people already owning it and remembering "o yea i own that game, wanna try it again" just like what happend with witcher 3. Some people bought it ofc too. But im guessing a big part are just people that reinstalled and plays again.

I kinda think the big bump is due too people already owning it and remembering "o yea i own that game, wanna try it again" just like what happend with witcher 3. Some people bought it ofc too. But im guessing a big part are just people that reinstalled and plays again.
I just thought that before reading you :D
While watching Edgerunners on Netflix (which is well put in evidence on the home screen) : Oh, yes, it's been a while, maybe I will replay it.

It's the anime. 1.6 had a bump to 20k.
And you had a "source" or it's just a guess ?

In my opinion Edgerunners play a role, but it's more :
- If the 1.6 wasn't released the same week (with Remod, Transmog, new GIGs, new weapons,... in short, new contents and new things to do), there would have been a lot fewer players who would have returned to the game, I'm sure (the last update has been released 6 months ago... i.e an eternity in the gaming world).
- If the game wasn't on sales, there would have been way less new players.
- Without counting the "cross-progression" which certainely "helped" some players to decide to continue their unfinished "console playthroughs" on their (new) PCs.

So yeah, Edgerunners brought back some players, but it doesn't explain this "peak" alone. @gregski had the right words : "marketing is executing perfectly on this one."

It's an amazing piece of positive marketing by the company and I feel one of the reasons the anime was so meticulously adapted from the game world. Having dropped 10 patches also helps.

And you had a "source" or it's just a guess ?

In my opinion Edgerunners play a role, but it's more :
- If the 1.6 wasn't released the same week (with Remod, Transmog, new GIGs, new weapons,... in short, new contents and new things to do), there would have been a lot fewer players who would have returned to the game, I'm sure (the last update has been released 6 months ago... i.e an eternity in the gaming world).
- If the game wasn't on sales, there would have been way less new players.
- Without counting the "cross-progression" which certainely "helped" some players to decide to continue their unfinished "console playthroughs" on their (new) PCs.

So yeah, Edgerunners brought back some players, but it doesn't explain this "peak" alone. @gregski had the right words : "marketing is executing perfectly on this one."

Yeesh. Edgerunners DOES explain this peak alone, just like the mega-boost the Witcher show did to the game.

Nothing else explains this peak. Everything else in your arguments happens all the time with games and, although the games get a boost, they don't get anything like this boost.

[Sard Edit. Rule 1.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. just checked and i have 655 hours in with 45 belonging to a new playthrough. which means my previous 2 where 300 hours a piece

Glad to see players enjoying the game. wish there was a lot more to do in the world though

Its amazing how edgerunners ( im not into anime but while amazing this silly little cartoon show gave cyberpunk2077 a second life )
I just hope CDPR capitalize off this second wind by adding more and more content !!
Post automatically merged:

Also to add i find it really amusing ( and what edge runners showed us ) is people want a cyberpunk world despite my hesitation if it would sell against the likes of witcher or any medieval type genre ..

CDPR have made an amazing cyberpunk world they just need to complement it with interesting stories , great game play and mechanics

Last edited:
I think Edgerunners advertised the "New and Improved" Cyberpunk 2077 more than the next gen relaunch patch. I hope this love and interest generated from the anime and to a certain extent, drifting away from last gen, means only better things for the game going into Phantom Liberty. I've been having a hard time putting it down since 1.5 which is a shame because it's been such a busy year in my personal life.

I think Edgerunners advertised the "New and Improved" Cyberpunk 2077 more than the next gen relaunch patch. I hope this love and interest generated from the anime and to a certain extent, drifting away from last gen, means only better things for the game going into Phantom Liberty. I've been having a hard time putting it down since 1.5 which is a shame because it's been such a busy year in my personal life.
It got a 10k bump from the 1.6 patch but Edgerunners has it rocketing, and it helps a lot that it is on sale.

Just like the Witcher Netflix series sold a lot of Witcher games well after release.

I am starting to get interest in a new roadmap from CDPR, just like the time when i use to be on forum for every single info before the game was released. Man, after all the recent marketing success, I still have hopes for this game!

Top Bottom