The excerpt in the EE edition - couple of questions.... [SPOILER WARNING]

+
The excerpt in the EE edition - couple of questions.... [SPOILER WARNING]

Definitely am going to order the book off Amazon now. However, a couple of questions sprang to mind. First, in the game manual, it lists Adda as the offspring of the incest. Whereas, the excerpt stated that Adda was Foltest's sister and was the mother of the striga that Geralt 'cured'. Was this an intentional difference, a mistake in the manual, or is there a deeper explanation for the discrepancy later in the book or the game? I have barely gotten into the game so far. I've only made it partway into that first village after the prologue.Second question was why did Geralt bite her on the neck? If this is answered later in the book, that's fine. I'll find out when I get the book.Lastly, Ostrit, the magnate that Geralt used as bait, claimed he wasn't responsible for the spell that cursed the offspring. Is it explained further in the book whether he was lying or does it come out who was responsible?Thank you for any replies.[MOD]Changed a topic a bit

1. Adda the cured Striga was named after her mother.2. It is not clear whether the curse was caused by Ostrit or by someone else. Ostrit admitted that in fury he said the curse, but regretted that and did not intend to make any harm.

I also wondered why Geralt bit her on the neck and asked about it in this thread: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=12889.0 Several people gave possible answers, though I didn't find any of them incredibly convincing. (Be careful, there are spoilers in that thread for the other short stories in The Last Wish.

Skipping over the other spoilers, I read the comments about the bite. None of those ideas struck me as a 'Yes, definitely that was it.' I probably wouldn't have given it much thought if the story hadn't ended with that question from Velerad. His asking it made it seem much more important.

Corylea said:
I also wondered why Geralt bit her on the neck and asked about it in this thread: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=12889.0 Several people gave possible answers, though I didn't find any of them incredibly convincing. (Be careful, there are spoilers in that thread for the other short stories in The Last Wish.
i guess he knew he had very little time till he pass out due to blood loss so he deatl with her without thinking. there dont have to be a reason, he just did it and it worked. beside her mind was like an animal. she didnt recieve any proper study, she didnt know anything about culture, language. how an animal would react to bite in the neck? calm down?

OK, i don't know how spoiler averse you are, so regarding Adda and incest ...
also, there are 2 Addas: Adda of Temeria, who was Foltest's sister and lover, the mother of Adda the White (our Adda, in the game)the mother died either during the child's birth, or shortly thereafter ... so that's the incest / Adda confusion explained, i think :)

1. like TRYBALD siad.2. its not really explained in the book either. But imo...
Geralt was suppose to stay in the sarcophagus till the rooster crow three times but, he didn't because it was hard for him to know since there where no roosters around the old palace. So, when dawn came and as he got out of the sarcophagus then examined the princess and got caught by here "TALON" on his neck. Bleed near to death and as he was bleeding he had his hands occupied by pinning her down. Now he did not bite her to break the curse, hes intention was to kill her. Foltest gave him orders that if the spell was lifted but if she was not NORMAL then Geralt can kill her. Luckily, during the biting process, her howling changed into a weeping fourteen-year-old and when he let go of her she passed out, he got his sword had it against her neck ready to strike but took a second glace at her hands and they where completely NORMAL, left the tomb and fainted and somewhere in Wyzim across the lake a rooster crowed for the third time. The real enemy at this moment was TIME, if he only waited a while longer till some rooster crowed three times, then the curse would have been fully lifted and Geralt could of examined her without the near death experience and biting her almost to death.
3. As TRYBALD said
Ostrit also accused Foltest's mother, saying that she couldn't watch Foltest and his sister...

I don't agree that Geralt decided to kill the girl. 'Cause, you see, her sudden squeal didn't come out by a fluke. During the actual fight, as we remember, Geralt managed to scare the striga. He succeeded, because there was a little girl inside, who could feel fear... as any little girl. Now let us look at this sentence:
Geralt swore and bit her neck hard right under her ear, dug his teeth and clenched them until inhuman howl changed into a quiet desperate cry, then into sobs - a weeping of a suffering fourteen-year-old girl.
It's clear that the witcher awaited these sobs. He knew how any girl would react to pain, and he had no better option because of the wound. Strictly speaking, it was the same trick Geralt used during the fight: he made the girl's self come up to the surface - first with the help of intimidation, then with the help of pain. After all, Geralt agreed to try lifting the curse due to the fact that there was still a girl inside the monster. So the witcher used this fact to his advantage. Twice.

Top Bottom