The Exp system used in TW3

+

Tuco

Forum veteran
The Exp system used in TW3

There was some early talk, when the game was initially announced, about the fact that TW3 was aiming to replace the typical grind-friendly exp-for-kill with a goal-driven exp system (in other words: gaining exp while accomplishing tasks or completing quests, rather than killing random things on the map).

It was a great news for me, as I've always been a fan of goal-driven exp since I first experienced it in Vampire Bloodines. I genuinely think it's a better, more clever and easy-to-balance way to design a non-linear RPG. That said I never heard this feature mentioned again in the last... let's say 12-16 months?

So I was wondering if there has been any recent confirmation that the plans didn't change and CDPR is still planning to adopt this solution over more traditional exp systems. Anyone could eventually provide a more recent quote on the topic?

Isn't that how Witcher 2 was? Killing monsters would get you like 3 exp each. Whereas completing a quest would give you roughly a bazillion exp.

There was some early talk, when the game was initially announced, about the fact that TW3 was aiming to replace the typical grind-friendly exp-for-kill with a goal-driven exp system (in other words: gaining exp while accomplishing tasks or completing quests, rather than killing random things on the map).

It was a great news for me, as I've always been a fan of goal-driven exp since I first experienced it in Vampire Bloodines. I genuinely think it's a better, more clever and easy-to-balance way to design a non-linear RPG. That said I never heard this feature mentioned again in the last... let's say 12-16 months?

So I was wondering if there has been any recent confirmation that the plans didn't change and CDPR is still planning to adopt this solution over more traditional exp systems. Anyone could eventually provide a more recent quote on the topic?

A lot of stuff has changed in the past year on this project. Including the removal of a planned vats like system, and who knows what else. However as far as I have heard skills are still focused as active changes only faster sword swings, more fire out of igni, stronger ard blast, special attacs, etc with no stat only passives being used. So that sounds like something a goal oriented exp system would work best with.

Isn't that how Witcher 2 was?
In Witcher 2 i got 4+ levels for finishing 1st chapter.... And for all other quests and fights i got maybe 5 levels....
That was like "just go through the story, man, don't bother yourself with all those sidequests".
Well, that isn't grind, but not a goal-driven system too. Felt more like auto levelup system.

Felt more like auto levelup system.

-- TW2 --

I don't see how this is "autolevel up".

At the end of "Chapter I" you get a ton of XP 'cos you complete the quests needed to close that chapter. I think getting a ton of XP is fair.

And for me, TW2's side quests are rewarding. The talents you don't get from missed side quest are important. They enlarge Geralt's bag of tricks. The early you get those talents, the better.

I never tried, but I don't think you can build a level 35 Geralt doing only the main quest.

-- TW3 --

I hope the TW3 have the same exp. system. You complete a quest, you get a lot of XP.

Last edited:
Outside of hitting the level 35 cap (or so I think it's a cap) in chapter 3 in TW2 I gotta say I really enjoy the level up system (cap excluded) from TW2. The game, at least from a fighting standpoint is a ton more satsifying later in the game and I wouldn't mind one bit if TW3 follows something similar. We might find out in about two weeks time :)

Outside of hitting the level 35 cap (or so I think it's a cap) in chapter 3 in TW2 I gotta say I really enjoy the level up system (cap excluded) from TW2. The game, at least from a fighting standpoint is a ton more satsifying later in the game and I wouldn't mind one bit if TW3 follows something similar. We might find out in about two weeks time :)

Same here. Doing some grinding was beneficial, doing a lot of grinding wasn't. The only problem with TW2 was that if you did some grinding in Chapter 1, you hit the limits before the end of the game. If the level cap in TW2 had been just a little bit higher, it would have been just right.

If there is a large variety of monsters (at least a couple dozen), I wouldn't mind "getting my grind on" for a bit. A good system I feel would be receiving monster-killing contracts and after completing one, receive a fair chunk of xp.

I think we should earn the bulk of our XP completing quests and this could be supplemented by doing monster contracts, that is, special or unique monster fights, not every creature we bump into. And finally, we get a small bonus for discovering hidden areas.

Tuco

Forum veteran
I think we should earn the bulk of our XP completing quests and this could be supplemented by doing monster contracts, that is, special or unique monster fights, not every creature we bump into. And finally, we get a small bonus for discovering hidden areas.
Well, that's pretty much how a "goal-driven" system is supposed to work.
And yes, to others who stressed the point, TW2 wasn't too bad in that area, since it rewarded quests more than grinding, but I would definitely be even more in favor of ditching exp for "common trash mobs" entirely.

So, in the new video that was just released, we see that Geralt does get XP for killing enemies (the wraith fight, he gets 37 XP per wraith.)

The minuscule exp earned for killing most enemies in TW2 was one of the very few things I didn't enjoy about the game, along with hitting the level cap very early in chapter 3. I think grinding enemies for exp should be an option for those interested and I'm curious to see how the exp increases play out in TW3.

Top Bottom