The first expansion coming in 2023 and "further support" througout 2022.

+
To make it simple let's say the typical person working on the game was being told to put in 60 hours a week, now they are down to your normal 40 hours a week... that would, in theory, make the game take 50% longer to complete, right?

I do not have a big opinion on crunch. But I do find it odd there are so many fans of games who freak out about companies having crunch... then at the same time get upset with the companies/devs when things take longer after crunch policies are removed.

Not exactly

The latest studies have found that the average worker is productive only about 3-4 hours out of the typical 8 hours work day. Anything after that is just diminishing returns in both quantity and quality.

Now if you throw in forced extra time over long periods of times it gets exponentially worse as you add a lot of different factors that will only drain a worker's capabilities and only get worse as time goes on. Out of your 60 hours work week, you're not even getting 30 hours of productive, quality work.

That's not to say crunch doesn't get extra work done, it does, but it does so in a very poor way. Forcing people to push themselves to their limits and beyond is a bad idea. This doesn't lead to quality work, it just doesn't. Unhappy workers are not productive nor do they produce good quality, this is especially true for creative work like video game development. So instead of getting the 12-15 hours worth of quality work from a normal 40 hours work week you might get 20 out of those 60 but then that second week you get 19.5, then 19 and on and on it goes and on top of that the quality of work will drop just as steadily.

It's one of the reasons why an ever increasing number of companies are fiddling around with shorter work weeks, offering work from home, better salaries and many other things and seeing a huge return on their investment as people are productive for longer periods and produce better quality work. Happy workers are better workers, who would've thought?

Crunch is a very, very poor way of doing things. It might get some extra work done but it's not quality work and there are better ways of raising your workforce's productivity that are not detrimental to them.

. Also, I wouldn't expect 'expansions' if CDPR has now repeatedly said 'expansion'.

Yet, they never did say this was the final update and or expansion (excluding multiplayer). They've had multiple chances to say that, and they never did. I mean, expansions don't happen on a whim. They already know how many expansions they're going to do. I see no reason being coy unless they're doing a 2nd expansion. Like, they would've told us in that Twitter post that expansion would be the only one.

This is all very disappointing. The least CDPR needs to do (and I suspect they won't do the least) is provide decent support for 2022 and release some DLC. However, even so, this whole scenario gives us the impression that the game is being left out, little by little, slowly, that is, the game begins to enter a process of abandonment. I think it's a long time to release an expansion. The game was released completely buggy in December 2020 and CDPR promises an expansion for, who knows, the first half of 2023? Until then, the game will be "dead". I emphasize that at the end of 2022 Starfield will arrive and that it promises to be an extraordinary RPG. In addition, the company has already announced that it will no longer use Red Engine in its future titles. It will use Unreal Engine 5. And that impacts support. What is the economic reason for continuing to support titles that use Red Engine? Ended. Well, let's wait. Hope is the last to die.
For my part, I have no more illusions. For me, at least, it's now official: CDPR is killing its own "product" using gimmicks, fancy words, promises, etc. Again... [...] Unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever the workforce size... I dont think I need to tell you what happens when you build a house without the proper foundations right?
Which is exactly what the game has been for the last year no doubt.

If I were to read back how many optimizations etc they have done, not to mention what I have come to read up on about the engine being like the russian research boat in VIRUS movie (I hope this reference lands)
In short: they might have had to do major redecorating under the hood.

My point(s) being, I really wonder how much work could actually be done to build that expansion on top of the game we have. Not to mention that we have no clue on what exactly may have been worked on at all? What is their workforce size even? Do they need to use external contacts or resources and are they availabe (imagine an actor who is currently oppucied shooting for another movie)
Not to mention all the rest of what happened during the past year, like @exxxed said, pandemic, scrutiny, lawsuits.. and f*ck knows what else.
And now they have a war going on next door.

etc etc etc, 6 months is short.
And I for one would not trust it one bit if they said it would be out halfway this year.

Personal note. this (and previous post) are a bit influenced by some external factors in my life, among which a big frustration. So if I come across as needing to shoot something, my apologies, it aint personal. But at this time I have a rather short fuse.
Its still a very long time too wait for content. That just wont change because you have a reason for it. If the new updated pdf is accurate im even more confused. If they could not do any work on it before 1.5 wtf allocate people too work on it? Also how could they make that mistake on a chart in the first place? Im baffled tbh.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I thought maybe it'll come late Summer, but I guess not. I just hope 1.5 isn't the biggest patch drop we get this year.
hones
First? It will be the only one. If I remember correctly, even during the announcements related to the Unreal Engine 5, they talked about "CP2077 upcoming expansion", in the singular. Not "expansions". They are just avoiding saying it out loud and clear, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, another bad, disappointing new. Sad.
i feel like there will be more expansions, they're just not promising it, thus explaining "expansion" and not "expansions"

Whatever the workforce size... I dont think I need to tell you what happens when you build a house without the proper foundations right?
Which is exactly what the game has been for the last year no doubt.

If I were to read back how many optimizations etc they have done, not to mention what I have come to read up on about the engine being like the russian research boat in VIRUS movie (I hope this reference lands)
In short: they might have had to do major redecorating under the hood.

My point(s) being, I really wonder how much work could actually be done to build that expansion on top of the game we have. Not to mention that we have no clue on what exactly may have been worked on at all? What is their workforce size even? Do they need to use external contacts or resources and are they availabe (imagine an actor who is currently oppucied shooting for another movie)
Not to mention all the rest of what happened during the past year, like @exxxed said, pandemic, scrutiny, lawsuits.. and f*ck knows what else.
And now they have a war going on next door.

etc etc etc, 6 months is short.
And I for one would not trust it one bit if they said it would be out halfway this year.

Personal note. this (and previous post) are a bit influenced by some external factors in my life, among which a big frustration. So if I come across as needing to shoot something, my apologies, it aint personal. But at this time I have a rather short fuse.
I imagine not a lot, thus I understand why the expansion can't come faster than a year and a half (the patch 1.5), but....frankly, I was expecting them to work on what they could and have a lot of pieces done and waiting to be inserted into the game when they have fixed the bugs. Now I am assuming how exactly it works, but have the writers come up with the story, the dialogue etc. Have designers/artists ready (or do most of the work - as I said I don't know how much of the assets you have to do in engine) NPC, building and so on. Record or begin to record at least the major dialogue with the voice actors so you will be ready/mostly ready with a nicely done piece that only needs to be inserted when it can. Such things. Ofcourse they can't (and shouldn't if they do) be expected to make an expansion if they started it when the 1.5 came, but I think there were some things they could have done to mitigate. And I am baffled why they (apparently) didn't.
But as I said it is all an assumption on my part and it might be a lot of more difficult than imagine....

Ofcourse they can't (and shouldn't if they do) be expected to make an expansion if they started it when the 1.5 came, but I think there were some things they could have done to mitigate. And I am baffled why they (apparently) didn't.
I'm in the same mindset of you... I would have expected that "on paper" work was done before 1.5, and even sketches of story could have been done before game release (I mean, I imagine writers and quests designers finished the work before day 0). If I can think of a cause, is that they ditched 2 expansions and they want to "merge" into one and maybe this forced them to re-write sections to link separate stories... worst case (for me, for others might be good news) they will try to "merge" the endings and provide post-ending content (which I suspect was not their initial intend, but you know criticism drives business), this I can imagine that needs extra effort because the world states in different endings,NPCs alive or death etc are too contradicting between each other
is Saburo immortal ?, is Panam the leader of the Aldecaldos?did River/Rogue/Saul/Takemura die?

Well i finally uninstalled. I love the game, characters and the world but its evident that this game is over.

Skyrim recently had the Serana Dialogue add on updated. It gives me a companion to explore thhe world with that has quest aware dialogue

Tiny Tiny Wonderlands has been amazing and was developed during the pandemic. First expansion drops this month

My time in Night City will be remembered forever. I will not forget all the great characters and how the ending moved me.

Panam is one of the greatest NPC i think i will ever encounter. CDPR thanks for the experience.
Love all you guys. The forums has a great group of players.

how long it takes really doesnt matter specially if it's free content. Only thing that does matter to me is whether or not I can continue V's story and all things related.
If they are going to ignore the original story( V's story) and start something completely new then it's not an expansion it's just a new game. which isn't technically bad, but would put a huge damper on whether I would play it or not.

Or my guess, a "pre-ending" expansion :)
So no need to bother about which ending players can choose and everybody will have almost the same content (easier...)
Exactly like Blood & Wine, which only require to be level 35 no matter if you completed or not the main quest, it's available very soon in the main story line...
How can they continue mister blu eyes story in this way ? 🥲 The secret ending, with the view of Crystal Palace, is clearly a post ending main storyline

How can they continue mister blu eyes story in this way ? 🥲 The secret ending, with the view of Crystal Palace, is clearly a post ending main storyline

Quite simply - they don't.

Not in Cyberpunk 2077 at least. I'm certain we haven't seen the last of him but I'm guessing it'll happen in a future game.

My guess is also that the expansion will be pre-ending and that this is the end of V's story.

Last edited:
Either they don't or he doesn't meet V directly (like in Dream On, only appear or "suggested") :)
Yeeeeah. But in the secret ending he gives us a new work to do, the most ambitious one. It's clearly the start of a new story. :)
It's the start of a "new story" too when you choose Panam ending and leave NC.
It's the start of a "new story" too when V give the body to Johnny and he leave NC.

Not in Cyberpunk 2077 at least. I'm certain we haven't seen the last of him but I'm guessing it'll happen in a future game.

My guess is also that the expansion will be pre-ending and that this is the end of V's story.
Uhmmm, I'll be a bit sad if mister blu eyes story is quite ended for cb2077.
But... This will make cb2077 sequel more interesting indeed, and very much hyped.

@LeKill3rFou not like the mission in the Crystal Palace, I think

Then, I question why they did The Sun and Star ending like that. Blood & Wine was basically a post-ending dlc. Even a pre-ending expansion, how are they going to convince V to do it when their dying?

@LeKill3rFou not like the mission in the Crystal Palace, I think
It's not really that I don't like it (the story could be interesting) :)

It's "mainly" because it's my least favorite ending^^
"We learn from our mistakes"
"Everyone make mistakes, but the important is to not make them twice"
"The definition of insanity is to doing the same thing again and expect a different result"

Just a point of view > We start the story with V who try to become a legend and follow the path of glory, fail, loose everything, end "alone" and die miserably. And in this ending, we finish the story with V who try to follow the path of glory, again (expecting a different result, so V make the same mistake again and V definitely didn't learn anything).

Anyway, adding Mr Blue Eye "pre-ending" seem to me to be way more easier than merging all the endings :)

Then, I question why they did The Sun and Star ending like that. Blood & Wine was basically a post-ending dlc. Even a pre-ending expansion, how are they going to convince V to do it when their dying?

The same way they "convinced" V to do police scanners, or random gigs or any other side content when the main quest is literally "your head is a time bomb, you don't know how long til it blows and there *may* be someone that can help you out there".

A gig with a bit of dialogue to set the stage is all that's needed. Make the content available and players will do the rest.

Top Bottom