The foltest 40 card deck

+
The foltest 40 card deck

Most people regard it as a meme but to me this seems the strongest deck ever in gwent. Personally i never won a game against this deck, NEVER, and i'm playing for quite a while, since mid closed beta. This is the ONLY deck i have 0% win rate and i encounter it almost every day, at 4k+ MMR, it's not as rare as people think. Personally i really have no idea why this happens or what i can possibly do against it no matter the deck i play, sometimes i just lose 2-0.

I'm wondering why it's not played more often and a lot of people blame the lack of consistency, i tried it myself and it's pretty annoying with both muligan and draws, however i never saw this with my opponenets, they never have a dead card and more often than not they start with all 3 blue stripe scouts in hand, most of the time they also draw more golds than i do with 25 cards.

So what is your experience with it?

Iuliandrei;n10023281 said:
So what is your experience with it?

I still have nightmares about the mulligan. It has an extremely high skill ceiling because you exactly need to know how to mulligan, what to play and when to pass. Having the right cards in hand (with a bit of luck) can be devastating. Having said that, I usually do win against Foltest 40, partly because I know I can push for the 2-0 when the opponent has a sub-optimal hand.

4RM3D;n10024361 said:
It has an extremely high skill ceiling because you exactly need to know how to mulligan

I seriously doubt that, everything you need to know about mulligan is already available, other than that you just need to click on a card and draw another, no magic or skill to it. I can't really see this an explanation for starting with all 3 scouts in hand.

I recently have gone back to that deck and I updated it and it is currently 37 cards. My impression is that it is very fun and still very strong. It's hard to explain how the deck is good when it lacks some consistency but somehow it's just good.

well, depends on what is in that build, some use witch hunters, some use ale, some have marching orders, etc. Personally i got rank 20 with it and then -300 MMR in 2 days, when Consume took over ladder and spies with spell'atel where nowhere to find, now Henselt is real bane for me. As for bad draws, sometimes you just have give short R1 for your opponent and res Ves R2 with Shani (or pray to draw her), sometimes you just accept that you lost, because you have all 3 Infantrymans in your hand R3

As for consistency, deck have pretty strong bronze plays, even Thaler is a positive, if you can get out Cavalry, and at first it looks like deck have many bad draws, but with 40 cards it's even outs a bit, also often you get out bad cards R1 (like Commanders, Cavalry, maybe frost) and Ves is really powerful, sometimes getting Ves effect twice increase your hands power drastically and you get 15 points Shani

Whelp, most fun deck in this last patch fall as another victim to this new patch: Ves unplayable, at first i thought 2 cards instead of 3 isn't that bad, often i had no soldier/officer in my hand before, but you can't swap 1 by 1, you must swap 2 cards at once (i picked only one and didn't gave me choice for 2nd swap), Thaler getting to 13 power mean you get no points, when ADC into Thaler, if you pull Cavalry, 2 points were big with this combo, often i had to count and find out that i would win round by 1 point, if my opponent pass, last and probably least important change - Field medics, no more sending your Reaver Scouts to your deck something better, no more sending Emysarry's, damaged units, Cow Carcase's, no more big chains of Medic -> Scout -> Medic -> Scout -> Medic - > All 3 Infantry (granted that's very low chance to pull, but time from time it was 20+ points chains from Medics that felt so good)

Rest in peace deck that brought me back to Gwent this season after i took 3 weeks break at start

:hatsoff:

The new Hubert Reyk works nicely in a 40 card deck though. After you play foltest and some blue striped scouts it is not a stretch to play him with power 40 early game.
And even saving him up for the last round makes him stronger than ciri:nova

Agreed, it's surely the BEST deck in the game without a doubt (as of now, at least). However it requires a bit of luck (considering you have 40 cards in the deck, the chance to get the play-makers is smaller than in other decks).

Does anybody have a list?

I recently started experimenting with it, mine has 3 of

-Aretuza Adepts and Frosts

-Witch Hunters

-Blue Stripes Scouts and Commandos

-Dun Banner Cavalry (Aye Aye Sir! :p )

-Temerian Infantryman

-Tormented Mages and Alzur's Thunder

-Reaver Scouts

Aside from the silvers and golds. Any idea what to go for? :) what do people usually add?

Those knights who buff when they're called from the library, as a backup summon target for the scouts. Gotta build redundancy into this deck, as its impossible to avoid the occasional brick hand.

4RM3D;n10024361 said:
I still have nightmares about the mulligan. It has an extremely high skill ceiling because you exactly need to know how to mulligan, what to play and when to pass. Having the right cards in hand (with a bit of luck) can be devastating. Having said that, I usually do win against Foltest 40, partly because I know I can push for the 2-0 when the opponent has a sub-optimal hand.

This deck is the only decent deck combine with Foltest, but way too unreliable for a competitive ladder. Most of the time u get bricked hand or losing the game coz u didn't draw any gold at all due to the 40 cards.

However, it is very fun to play deck, and when u have a decent draw of cards it can be very strong too. But still... too much gambling

Another big issue with a Temerian base deck is that it is difficult to play around Schorch and Igni. There are too many cards ending with the same value.

Last edited:
4RM3D;n10024361 said:

Iuliandrei;n10024991 said:
I seriously doubt that, everything you need to know about mulligan is already available, other than that you just need to click on a card and draw another, no magic or skill to it. I can't really see this an explanation for starting with all 3 scouts in hand.

Lol.. I agree with you. Saying 'it has an extremely high skill ceiling" due to "mulligan skillz" and knowing "when to pass" is like saying 5th grade math is equivalent to a PhD in Quantum Mechanics.

C'mon man, this is Gwent.

And I hope some of you are joking in saying the Foltest 40 is the best deck?

Last edited:
I also run a deck like this once in a while.

But for me the whole goal is pushing hubert rejk as high as possible. I do this by also including the bloody baron (who should stay in the deck) and run the wheather of the mages and some machines to kill stuff.

The annying thing is ensuring hubert. For now I do this by having ADC, the runestone (which can draw him) and black blood (which can draw him). But yeah, it`s still gambling.

SoSaHer;n10419932 said:
The annying thing is ensuring hubert. For now I do this by having ADC, the runestone (which can draw him) and black blood (which can draw him). But yeah, it`s still gambling.

I went with lesser Demons aswell, also Dandelion for gold to buff the deck and set up Hurbert for ADC, but yeah it's a bit tricky.
Though since i made this post i still didn't manage to win a single round against Foltest 40 card deck, i don't know how my opponents always have PERFECT hand every. single. time. It drives me crazy tbh, every single time getting 2-0 by this deck.

Iuliandrei;n10446182 said:
I went with lesser Demons aswell/QUOTE]

Oh, well.. That`s a good idea actually. A random discard wouldn`t hurt this deck that badly. Thx for the tip! I`m sure to check that out

Don't play into a short 3rd round in my opinion, have a few resets or removals built into your deck.
I like Lambert as a neutral for anti-swarm but he is too situational to be a good gold IMO.

You're almost sure you'll lose that 3rd round especially if you played first or have a hand disadvantage. You need to bait the Rejk.

Or not even play into a third round as mentioned before. Try to finish in two. Easily more doable if your opponent starts the second round after giving up the first.

Top Bottom