The Foresight Insitute: bleeding edge nanotech dev site

+
Good idea on how to make someone "immortal". but watch out not to make it too available and nonrestrictive. For example the nanotech are too fragile to use in a air-gravitic-atmosphere so MUST be inside a water-tank or body or in space.

Existing and having problems trumps not existing pretty much every time.

What is the point of living forever? 100 years is becoming a more common life expectancy, and its a good run. If I could live for 200 years, I think I would have gotten bored and thrown in the towel by 150...

Well, I have an idea. Macleod, you exist for a while. Choomba, since you doubt his expertise, you do not existing. Take notes and then both of you get back to us. The most convincing person gets a No-Prize.

What is the point of living forever? 100 years is becoming a more common life expectancy, and its a good run. If I could live for 200 years, I think I would have gotten bored and thrown in the towel by 150...

Well, as someone who sides with the yet unproven fact that once we die, everything ends, and it's not "sleep", or "rest", or any other kind of "vacation" from life, and you don't "go" anywhere, I can only think that not existing is the worst possible thing there could be. I'd say that one would have to be a bit optimistic about there being something after death to think of death as some kind of a relief.

Really, have you much experience on "not existing"?

There's no such concept as "trumping something" if you don't exist. Why? Because there isn't anything if you don't exist. There isn't you, there isn't the world. Therefore you can't compare not existing to existing with problems. Existing with problems will always be the better choice, because out of those two, it's the only choice.

You won't be "better off" when not existing than for example if you live a tortured life. Reason being, you won't be, period. That's not to say one could live such a tortured life that it's too hard to handle for a human being. Then the choice to end the pain has outweighed the fact that to end the pain, you must stop existing. Having said that, I can't see why someone would throw in the towel simply because of time has passed.

I can't help but think that there's some kind of underlying brainwashing behind the whole concept of being bored of life, or being tired of it. Brainwashing that has happened over our lives, and throughout the millennia, about how death isn't the end. Well, once you embrace the - as I put it earlier - yet unproven fact that this is it, you might just hold on to life that much harder, and the whole concept of dying might piss you right off. Well, it does for me, personally. Perhaps I'm weird that way.

Well, I have an idea. Macleod, you exist for a while.

Way ahead of you. :cool:

Well, as someone who sides with the yet unproven fact that once we die, everything ends, and it's not "sleep", or "rest", or any other kind of "vacation" from life, and you don't "go" anywhere, I can only think that not existing is the worst possible thing there could be. I'd say that one would have to be a bit optimistic about there being something after death to think of death as some kind of a relief.
Why do you presume that I believe there is something beyond death?
Truth be told, I do not know what to believe on the matter. I am open to most of the basic concepts, (Materialism, Paganism, Reincarnation, Pantheism, Immortality and Resurrection - though I am highly sceptical about the "because aliens" conepts and scientology.)

The fact is that I believe that if we had the capability of living forever, then life would lose it's meaning. Time is an amazing thing. It's the one thing everyone seems to want more of and there is currently no means to aquire more. If we could all live forever, then time would lose it's value and there would be no fun left to life.

Life is finite, which is why it is worth living.

There's no such concept as "trumping something" if you don't exist. Why? Because there isn't anything if you don't exist. There isn't you, there isn't the world. Therefore you can't compare not existing to existing with problems. Existing with problems will always be the better choice, because out of those two, it's the only choice.
Einstein begs to differ. One of his theories is quite clear about how everyhting that has ever and will ever exist does so all the time. Time being circular/spherical. Therefore, it is theoretically impossible to cease to exist and everything that is going to happen to us, already has, (and will happen again, ad infinitum.)

I can't help but think that there's some kind of underlying brainwashing behind the whole concept of being bored of life, or being tired of it. Brainwashing that has happened over our lives, and throughout the millennia, about how death isn't the end. Well, once you embrace the - as I put it earlier - yet unproven fact that this is it, you might just hold on to life that much harder, and the whole concept of dying might piss you right off. Well, it does for me, personally. Perhaps I'm weird that way.
I for one am completely comfortable with my own mortality. That is probably because I have looked death in the eye, weighed up my life and came to the conclusion that I did some good with it. Sure I should have done a few things differently and I have some regrets, (most regarding women,) but I am largely happy with my life.

You would be amazed at how liberating this kind of mental state can be.

Any feelings of self preservation I have are derived from my instincts to survive and the fact that I enjoy life, so I would prefer to live for as long as I am intended to. I am fine with that. To feel otherwise would be against human nature.

I would take a quick death and oblivion over living in constant pain with no hope of getting better any day of the week.

Also, death is not the end. We are energy and when we die it doesn't disappear to some void, it changes form.

Also, death is not the end. We are energy and when we die it doesn't disappear to some void, it changes form.

The obvious point there is that while the enrgy that forms our physical bodies, the intangibale existance of our conciousness would cease.

Yes. Personally, I find that thought comforting. The idea of some religious "eternal life" after death horrifies me.

Nice theme actually.

for me ( if I Can say something . :) ) its not the question wheter we as humans will like to live over 100 years if thats posible.

as yours conversation shows ( no matter what you belive ) probably closer question will be who's qonna try.

so my conclusion is that ther will be quite large group of humans who will try.

But how they react on this long life it's diffrent story.
How they adapt , or in other words how will they evolv ?

I dont't think that life on any stage can be boring, as for general. even old people can experien something which newer happen to them.
I think as well that olders are to tired rather than bored. Meybe When You are 100 years old You can not catch up with speed.
thats why you are tired and out of you life a bit. Time speeds so fast for the brain in other words. :)

so to have people and technology which alows us to live 160 years will probably shows more problems and more misteries of ouer brains.

Yes. Personally, I find that thought comforting. The idea of some religious "eternal life" after death horrifies me.

Not religious, and not eternal in the sense that you have no choice. I mean life that ends when you want it to end, not when your time is up and you have no say in it. I also don't buy into the bullshit that the finity of life somehow makes it better or more worth living.

In some time, be it centuries or millennia, there will be people, living for centuries, living for millennia, who will look back at our ridiculously short lives, and they'll laugh in dismay, wondering how we could cope with the fact that we only got this flyshit's worth of time to spend.

Well, that's my view anyway. I'm 34 and I feel like I was born yesterday. My life feels like only a day has passed. Somehow after a few more decades I'd suddenly be tired and bored of it? No way. That would only happen due to biological issues with my brain, affecting how I think. Not due to how I actually view existence.

So, bring on the nanotech and cybertech and biotech and pharmaceuticals, and in affordable prices. I'll live the 12 monkeys life underground if that's the only option. I don't care. :cool:

Top Bottom