The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Snowflakez;n10011181 said:
On the bright side, Bannerlord looks like its really shaping up to be a good game - if you're into the M&B series.

"You,sir,have good taste in video games."

At one point I was so obsessed with Warband I played it almost non stop for months.I would "stalk" the forums for mods (especially total conversion mods) and play them to death (or until a new one came out that caught my eye).I think I have 1000 hours just in the Game of Thrones total conversion mod.

Mefris;n10011411 said:
"You,sir,have good taste in video games."

At one point I was so obsessed with Warband I played it almost non stop for months.I would "stalk" the forums for mods (especially total conversion mods) and play them to death (or until a new one came out that caught my eye).I think I have 1000 hours just in the Game of Thrones total conversion mod.

Steam has me clocked at 775 hours so far, but a lot of that has to do with how rough around the edges the game admittedly is. If it were a bit more like what Bannerlord seems to be, I'd probably have Skyrim levels of playtime...which is a lot. After a while I just figured I'd wait for Bannerlord to really get back into the series.

Which GOT mod do you prefer? I know of World of Ice and Fire and Clash of Kings.

AWOIF.Both are great but I prefer AWOIF because it uses Brytenwalda as a base.I have a soft spot for Brytenwalda because it was one of the first mods I downloaded for Warband (and one of the few I spent an eternity playing).

Mefris;n10011411 said:

I could never get into M+B. Both my boys love it though and anticipate Bannerlord hungrily.

I look forward to Kingdom Come Deliverance. James was in Beta/Alpha/Whatever and I quite liked it.

Imagine finding out that your dad is a serial killer? It must be tough uh?

Sardukhar;n10005581 said:
Nah, I'm married for decades...and have 3 kids. 2 full-grown. Frightening, right? IMAGINE ME AS A PARENT.

Now Imagine finding out that your dad is a brony? I don't think I could handle.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10013121 said:
Now Imagine finding out that your dad is a brony? I don't think I could handle.
That would be earth shattering.Lives would be ruined,names would be changed...It's the sort of cruel thing you'd write on a will just to get off your chest and know you won't be around to deal with the consequences.

Edit:

Sardukhar;n10012301 said:
I could never get into M+B. Both my boys love it though and anticipate Bannerlord hungrily.

I look forward to Kingdom Come Deliverance. James was in Beta/Alpha/Whatever and I quite liked it.
C'est très bien, monsieur.What would you say was the thing that put you off with M&B?

And KCD looks to be very promising.I especially like how the combat works in that game.Easley the most realistic I've seen done in a video game.

Last edited:
Mefris;n10013571 said:
That would be earth shattering.Lives would be ruined,names would be changed...It's the sort of cruel thing you'd write on a will just to get off your chest and know you won't be around to deal with the consequences.

Edit:

C'est très bien, monsieur.What would you say was the thing that put you off with M&B?

And KCD looks to be very promising.I especially like how the combat works in that game.Easley the most realistic I've seen done in a video game.

Also very interested in KCD. The Beta was absolute garbage (it ran like crap, probably around 15fps with all settings on low @ 1080p), but the game has undergone some serious revamps and changes since then, so here's hoping it gets better.

Honestly, the thing that put Sard off is probably the thing that put everyone off. Clunky, dated mechanics, and not just in terms of controls and interfaces - If you, as the ruler, demand a lord follow you, they randomly (Based on their own stupid AI) decide to run off in the middle of a siege that's almost over, leaving you to deal with the 600-men-strong doom stack charging out of the keep to curb stomp your face.

Enemies in combat, instead of fighting your men, will often just dogpile you while your men sit there derping around (even with the "follow me" or "hold position" command). You can't break the chain of constant stunlocks, so you die, and then your men either run or die due to lack of leadership (unless you vastly outnumber the enemy, or your units are just gods among men). The graphics, even with graphical mods and animation tweaks, are absolutely horrendous - something I can look past, but it can be a turn off to many.

This isn't even going into the terrible, awful, horrible siege mechanics. 200 men crowding on a single ladder or siege tower, pushing you off the side because the collisions in this game suck, only to walk into what is basically a meat grinder at the top. No catapults. No alternate points of entry. No sabotaging the walls ahead of time to blow them up later. Nada. Mods fix some of this, but not all of it - after all, the AI is largely the underlying problem here, and I've yet to see a decent mod fully fix that.

I know sieges were never easy for the attacking force in reality, and indeed, many sieges were done in an effort to starve out the defenders or cause disease (something that doesn't work well in M&B, though they tried to implement it a bit), but it's just ridiculous in Warband. I don't mind dying to a well-aimed headshot by an archer, but I do mind dying because my men shoved me off the ladder to the ground 30ft below.

/rant

Bottom line, Warband has a lot of problems, most of which (if not all) are being fixed for Bannerlord. So, Sardukhar if any of these issues describe your hesitations with the game, I'd just wait for Bannerlord and give the franchise a real go then. The learning curve and the many, many barriers to entry are a pretty big time sink to overcome.

Snowflakez;n10014301 said:
Also very interested in KCD. The Beta was absolute garbage (it ran like crap, probably around 15fps with all settings on low @ 1080p), but the game has undergone some serious revamps and changes since then, so here's hoping it gets better.

Honestly, the thing that put Sard off is probably the thing that put everyone off. [lots of examples]...

Yes. These. I don't need slick if I have great story or characters or even engrossing setting. Buuuuuut M+B was mostly gameplay and that was, for me, ugh. Great ideas though.

Note to the developers/room: firing 500 shotgun shells in a 48 hour period will leave you with aches Advil just can't cure...speaking from present experience. ;)

I don't have video, but I do have a certificate saying I completed their Advanced Shotgun course... shit, that's got my real name on it though... guess I didn't spend the weekend running around with a shotgun clearing rooms, doing select slug drills and being a total badass
:rebel:

Lisbeth_Salander;n10045121 said:
I'm thinking what should I post over /r/cyberpunkgame.
Any thoughts?

How much you -adore- the fruit-destroying stylings of Gallagher? Why cyberlimbs aren't just for cybering?

Another late night at "The Hope". The smell of cigarette smoke and stale beer fills the air. The ragged, much abused VR jukebox is booming some half forgotten Billy Idol ditty as the grey suited oldster enters the place, slick, barely recognizable cyberoptics scan the scene beneath his wrap around industrial mirror shades. Passing through like an old but still stealthy alley cat, he heads toward his favorite booth in the corner. Before he sits down, he notices an altercation of sorts between a nice looking young lady and some metrosexual creepazoid with a man bun. She looks like she wants to be as far away from this gender confusion victim as possible, but "she-man" over there just won't take "Frack off" for an answer. Normally, the old mans' policy is "Don't get involved." But it's a Saturday night, she's good looking and this guy(?) is really getting on the old dude's nerves. With a walk that says "I mean business." he heads toward the bickering couple. "Hey wasteoid, the young lady says she wants to be left alone. Take her advice and buzz off." The punk turns to see the all business oldster staring him down. "Frack off, old man or I'll be forced to hurt you." the effeminate man wanna-be retorts with a whine. The old man just smiles. "You are going to have one little problem with that, puke." "And what is tha-." Before he can answer, the oldster delivers a double dragon hand to his eyes, an eagle claw to the throat and stomping kick to the knee before the annoying punk can utter a gasp of pain. As the punk collapses in a croaking, dying heap the old man looks down at the punk and replies in a gravely voice : Because I just revoked your man card."

Watching Rogue One and then Star Wars. Trying to wash TLJ taste out. Here's hoping for a year with better writing for all!

Top Bottom