The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Happy new year to all of you! Let the 2018 be the year of many good news and as few controversies as possible for all of us!

Sardukhar;n10140492 said:
Watching Rogue One and then Star Wars. Trying to wash TLJ taste out. Here's hoping for a year with better writing for all!

Jesus, Mary and Joseph TLJ was awful. I re-watched 2049 now that it's available digitally, though, and that managed to get the garbage out of my mind.

Shavod;n10141812 said:
Happy new year to all of you! Let the 2018 be the year of many good news and as few controversies as possible for all of us!

are you that guy who was planning to create a rumor involving the game? anyway, thanks obama

Lisbeth_Salander;n10147442 said:
are you that guy who was planning to create a rumor involving the game? anyway, thanks obama

That was before all the controversies started happening.

Man I have been playing the heck out of some CKII the last week or so. Got myself a couple extra expansions* (Reaper's Due is really solid ... Old Gods is okay as I like the earlier start date but it doesn't do much else for me, though the revolt system is better). This game is always so addictive whenever I come back to it. Currently doing an Iron-man play-through where I started as Holland in 1066 but am King of Frisia in about 1230. May do a complete play-through of this and EUIV. Although I said that last time too and ended up leaving it around 1350.

* Playing current game with Legacy of Rome, the Old Gods, Sons of Abraham, Way of Life, Conclave & Reaper's Due active. Gotta love 75% off sales.

Last edited:
Shavod;n10147782 said:
That was before all the controversies started happening.

On the good side fake rumors generate attention to the game.

On the bad side it generate attention to the game (which goes against CDPR's strategic marketing vision) and also misleading facts.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10153112 said:
On the good side fake rumors generate attention to the game.

On the bad side it generate attention to the game (which goes against CDPR's strategic marketing vision) and also misleading facts.

What's their strategic marketing vision? I'm assuming it's the whole "keep things quiet until we have something big to show" sort of deal.

Snowflakez;n10153162 said:
What's their strategic marketing vision? I'm assuming it's the whole "keep things quiet until we have something big to show" sort of deal.

Yep. Marcin Iwinski said that CDPR will follow Bethesda's strategy of launching the game a short period after the announcement. (Bethesda announced Fallout 4 in 2015's E3 and released it 6 months later in november of 2015 and it sold really well)

But why use this strategy?

In my view It's all about using Cyberpunk 2077's trending value to favor its marketing.

In other words it's all about managing people's interest with something new. Most people have a pretty short attention span specially in an over saturated informational age. When a new product appears to someone, it is usual for most people to want said product immediately, but this person's interest fades over time. So if you keep showing the same game for over a year, people will see it as something old and even if the product is something great that desire may have been long gone. By making the gap between the announcement and the release short, it not only manipulates people's desire of wanting something new, but it creates a marketing opportunity of focusing every one of CDPR's strategies in only a few months. So instead of making a long marketing campaign that lasts for 2 years, they instead will probably make one that lasts 6 months in order to achieve greater impact.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10153242 said:
Yep. Marcin Iwinski said that CDPR will follow Bethesda's strategy of launching the game a short period after the announcement. (Bethesda announced Fallout 4 in 2015's E3 and released it 6 months later in november of 2015 and it sold really well)

But why use this strategy?

In my view It's all about using Cyberpunk 2077's trending value to favor its marketing.

In other words it's all about managing people's interest with something new. Most people have a pretty short attention span specially in an over saturated informational age. When a new product appears to someone, it is usual for most people to want said product immediately, but this person's interest fades over time. So if you keep showing the same game for over a year, people will see it as something old and even if the product is something great that desire may have been long gone. By making the gap between the announcement and the release short, it not only manipulates people's desire of wanting something new, but it creates a marketing opportunity of focusing every one of CDPR's strategies in only a few months. So instead of making a long marketing campaign that lasts for 2 years, they instead will probably make one that lasts 6 months in order to achieve greater impact.

That all sounds good to me.

There's actually quite a few benefits to the user with a campaign like this, too - we get gameplay videos closer together, without 3-month-long "dry spells" that typically accompany major releases (Skyrim, anyone?). We can get information and interviews packed into a tighter time frame so we never feel like we're waiting ages for something interesting.

That's one thing I really enjoyed about Fallout 4's campaign, even if the end result wasn't necessarily to my liking.

Snowflakez;n10153292 said:
That all sounds good to me.

Hey that doens't mean we'll get the game earlier. It's not that good is it?

That's one thing I really enjoyed about Fallout 4's campaign, even if the end result wasn't necessarily to my liking.
even if the end result wasn't necessarily to my liking.

You make Todd angry.

But seriously, there was so much wrong with Fallout 4. The game is blurred, the graphics are terrible, the dialogue is worse than Andromeda sometimes and the gameplay has no sense of progression. That's why I'm so in favor of CP2077 having character creation so it competes directly with Bethesda.

There's actually quite a few benefits to the user with a campaign like this, too - we get gameplay videos closer together, without 3-month-long "dry spells" that typically accompany major releases (Skyrim, anyone?). We can get information and interviews packed into a tighter time frame so we never feel like we're waiting ages for something interesting.

Yep. ANd something that Sard said among hte lines of "gamers not getting disappointed with graphics downgrade" (as it happened with W3), but wouldn't the simple fact of not putting innacurate content in the E3 (as it happened with W3) demos solve this problem? hmmm

Last edited:
"You ok?" the gravely voiced oldster addressed the pretty, but very stunned young woman. "Y-yeah, I'm ok...Thanks for the assist with this jerk." she stammers, looking at the now stiffening heap of a once human. "Where did you learn to do that, if you don't mind me asking?" The old man, slyly grinning at the girl who, under different circumstances, could have been his grand daughter, replied: "Yeah doll, I could tell you. But that would require that you either have a drink with me or I have to kill you in an alley somewhere. C'mon, let's have a seat at this booth over here and I'll tell you all about it...."

RLKing1969;n10153772 said:
"You ok?" the gravely voiced oldster addressed the pretty, but very stunned young woman. "Y-yeah, I'm ok...Thanks for the assist with this jerk." she stammers, looking at the now stiffening heap of a once human. "Where did you learn to do that, if you don't mind me asking?" The old man, slyly grinning at the girl who, under different circumstances, could have been his grand daughter, replied: "Yeah doll, I could tell you. But that would require that you either have a drink with me or I have to kill you in an alley somewhere. C'mon, let's have a seat at this booth over here and I'll tell you all about it...."

Context?

Snowflakez;n10153782 said:

Made a post earlier with a narrative about an old, hipster badass kicking the crap out of a metrosexual "She man" harassing a young lady and the old dude smoked the jerk. Look at earlier posts. Continuing the narrative. The moral(s) of the narrative: 1.) Old dudes in 2077 SURVIVED to be old for a reason. And, more importantly, 2.) I HATE "MAN BUNS!"

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10142002 said:
Jesus, Mary and Joseph TLJ was awful. I re-watched 2049 now that it's available digitally, though, and that managed to get the garbage out of my mind.

The only good thing that has come of the new ones is resparking interest in the old ones.

Top Bottom