The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Raxaphan;n10179602 said:

vedom? I think the major problem with leaking anything about a confidential job such as "working on CP2077" is that you'll lose your job immediatelly AND no other gaming company will ever work for you again

Lisbeth_Salander;n10186322 said:
vedom? I think the major problem with leaking anything about a confidential job such as "working on CP2077" is that you'll lose your job immediatelly AND no other gaming company will ever work for you again

My question is, how does anyone know who leaked what? If you reach out to a trustworthy member of the press (YongYea, whatever my issues with him, did not disclose the name or even gender of the sources he had recently), how would anyone possibly know that its you that leaked XYZ?

Note, I'm not promoting leaks or implying someone should risk losing their job over it. I'm just really curious what sort of internal precautions/surveillance game dev teams perform to figure this sort of thing out. Maybe it's a last one in, first one out kind of thing (as in, newer members are placed under heavy scrutiny at first)?

Snowflakez;n10186602 said:
My question is, how does anyone know who leaked what? If you reach out to a trustworthy member of the press (YongYea, whatever my issues with him, did not disclose the name or even gender of the sources he had recently), how would anyone possibly know that its you that leaked XYZ?

Note, I'm not promoting leaks or implying someone should risk losing their job over it. I'm just really curious what sort of internal precautions/surveillance game dev teams perform to figure this sort of thing out. Maybe it's a last one in, first one out kind of thing (as in, newer members are placed under heavy scrutiny at first)?

my guess would be compartmentalizing certain key pieces of information to certain divisions of the team, possibly even having different divisions told alternate facts. in this way once there is a leak you can narrow it down to a subgroup of the team and have the sys-admin get all up in their business. if they were clever enough to not do the leaking from company property, then you need to initiate a proper mole hunt. I'm recalling one the British did in ww2 where they knew someone in a specific office was leaking, so each of the support staff was told the principle would be having a meeting on x day, but what day that was differed from person to person. by checking the radio intercepts they were able to correlate the day given to the staff member and pluck that rotten apple out of the barrel.

Or you could just throw tantrums about leakers and declare all leaked information "fake news"... I hear it's a super-effective strategy ;)

or in the cyberpunk future the company might just whisk the whole team off to a black site for a "team building seminar" at camp Guantanamo bay north

eraser7278;n10186762 said:
my guess would be compartmentalizing certain key pieces of information to certain divisions of the team, possibly even having different divisions told alternate facts. in this way once there is a leak you can narrow it down to a subgroup of the team and have the sys-admin get all up in their business. if they were clever enough to not do the leaking from company property, then you need to initiate a proper mole hunt. I'm recalling one the British did in ww2 where they knew someone in a specific office was leaking, so each of the support staff was told the principle would be having a meeting on x day, but what day that was differed from person to person. by checking the radio intercepts they were able to correlate the day given to the staff member and pluck that rotten apple out of the barrel.

Or you could just throw tantrums about leakers and declare all leaked information "fake news"... I hear it's a super-effective strategy ;)

or in the cyberpunk future the company might just whisk the whole team off to a black site for a "team building seminar" at camp Guantanamo bay north

Clever! I hadn't heard about that WW2 story, that's pretty interesting. Seems like a pretty likely and easy solution to the problem, though the fact that nobody has even tried to leak anything thus far suggests to me that there's even more at play. Part of it could be... No, that's impossible... It couldn't be *gasp* creative integrity, could it? Not from a game dev studio!

another thing going for them might be that they are physically separated from "the business." their whole operation is in Europe and their presence at industry gatherings is quite small. trade shows and expos are where leakers and media get together to hatch their little arrangements, absent that and they'd have to do so through much more traceable means.

another thing I was reminded of are change logs on shared documents/databases. If a document receives frequent changes and that document later makes it into the wild (wikileaks) then you can match up the precise content of the document and nail it down to a narrow window of time when it was pilfered. this serves as a handy tool because you can eliminate people who were not yet working, were on vacation or on leave at the time. beyond that you can check user logs to see who accessed it in that time period and cross reference with security footage, because sometimes people are smart enough to do their data-theft via another terminal carelessly left logged in... or by entering the password taped to the underside of the keyboard.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10191572 said:
I'm waiting for this game to come out to buy a pc

Not a bad idea. I did the same thing for Skyrim - well, I built my PC a week before it came out, but same deal.

I'm buying a 1080 this month in preparation, since it will still be useful for other games too, and I like to try for closer to 120fps since I upgraded/sidegraded my monitor from a 1440p 60hz to a 1080p 144hz.

...And yet, another part of me wants to splurge on a massive 60" TV and just deal with the horrendous quality loss that will follow. Night City on the big screen!

Snowflakez;n10192132 said:
...And yet, another part of me wants to splurge on a massive 60" TV and just deal with the horrendous quality loss that will follow. Night City on the big screen!

Now I'm going to do that too. THat's why I'm waiting, nobody knows how CP2077 graphics will be like

Lisbeth_Salander;n10186322 said:

If you want leakages there is always Rockstar there piping is always leaking, well from what i heard, and people caught still find jobs after.

spla200;n10195742 said:
If you want leakages there is always Rockstar there piping is always leaking, well from what i heard, and people caught still find jobs after.

So perhaps there is just something to do with CDPR employers' loyalty ...

Top Bottom