The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Just because bugthesda loves sandboxes, it doesn't mean writers should suddenly drop the quality to a bare minimum. Far Cry 3 & 4 despite typical Ubisoft memetic game design flaws was great because it mixes sandbox environment with entertaining story and characters. In fact, open world and RPG sheets can (re)open new horizons in storytelling. FC4 "speedrun" thing was a brilliant joke. It won't be as good as cleverly structured linear storytelling but still, why not? In the age of open world and sandbox fever.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10376312 said:
God, please no. I hope CDPR doesn't use either of those games as examples.

I can see why would you have a problem with Mass Effect, but original Deus Ex? It still one the best games combining storytelling, interactivity and non-linear gameplay on the market, which also managed to make character skills matter, despite being played like a shooter. Plus they already stated this is one of their main inspirations (at least when it comes to different ways to solve every issue).

Shavod;n10379122 said:
I can see why would you have a problem with Mass Effect, but original Deus Ex? It still one the best games combining storytelling, interactivity and non-linear gameplay on the market, which also managed to make character skills matter, despite being played like a shooter. Plus they already stated this is one of their main inspirations (at least when it comes to different ways to solve every issue).

I don't have a problem with the different ways to solve an issue, I have a problem with the game's overall theme. It's not Cyberpunk like 2020 is, or like 2077 will be. Pondsmith has said it himself. It's basically just science fiction with augmentations... that's about it. Augmentations make the main character a hero, which isn't how it's going to be in 2077. Augmentations are just there to.. augment you.

They are a blessing and a curse, but they don't make you all that special. Augmentations are commonplace, everyone has them in some form (Cheap or otherwise), there probably won't be much in the way of "aug vs non aug" warfare. Hell, even the cops have them.

I wasn't all that impressed by the newest Deus Ex games' storytelling and I didn't play the old ones (I did play System Shock, though). Specifically the latest game had a garbage fire of an ending, apparently cut content for DLC or something like that. It didn't leave a good taste in my mouth and made me regret buying it...

But, yeah, if the only inspiration they want to take is giving players freedom within missions, all the better IMO. Plus, that game let you interact with a ton of objects and read people's personal emails and stuff, so that would be a fun addition too.

Snowflakez;n10379292 said:
I don't have a problem with the different ways to solve an issue, I have a problem with the game's overall theme. It's not Cyberpunk like 2020 is, or like 2077 will be. Pondsmith has said it himself. It's basically just science fiction with augmentations... that's about it. Augmentations make the main character a hero, which isn't how it's going to be in 2077. Augmentations are just there to.. augment you.

They are a blessing and a curse, but they don't make you all that special. Augmentations are commonplace, everyone has them in some form (Cheap or otherwise), there probably won't be much in the way of "aug vs non aug" warfare. Hell, even the cops have them.

I wasn't all that impressed by the newest Deus Ex games' storytelling and I didn't play the old ones (I did play System Shock, though). Specifically the latest game had a garbage fire of an ending, apparently cut content for DLC or something like that. It didn't leave a good taste in my mouth and made me regret buying it...

But, yeah, if the only inspiration they want to take is giving players freedom within missions, all the better IMO. Plus, that game let you interact with a ton of objects and read people's personal emails and stuff, so that would be a fun addition too.

Oh, I see. You didn't play the original, only the new ones (as someone who considers first Deus Ex his favorite game of all times, I was also disappointed with Human Revolution, to the point I still didn't touch Mankind Divided). The interaction with environment in the new ones was severely limited in comparison to the first game (where you could interact with pretty much every solid object), the non-linear gameplay with all of the different solutions was more in your face, lacking a lot of the subtlety of the original (for example,
at one point of the story the game seems to give you a very clear choice, either kill the surrendering terrorist as your employer ordered you to do, despite it being against a protocol, or spare him and have a conversation with him, which result in your partner arriving and gunning him down instead before you can finish the talk. Only years later people discovered that there is a third hidden option, which is to kill your partner before he kills the terrorist, something no one thought was possible at this point of the story, thus letting you to finish conversation to obtain a very important informations that normally you would discover only much later in the game)
, it simplified the role playing mechanics and amplified the Sci-Fi elements, in the process sacrificing more grounded and realistic setting of the original. Even Mike Pondsmith admitted that while first Deus Ex didn't really fit his vision of Cyberpunk, it was definitely much closer to it then any of it's sequels.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10389742 said:
130 days until we get disappointed at E3! At least we have Altered Carbon until then.
And WestWorld. And maybe Detroit: Become Human (depending when it releases this spring).

Rawls;n10390302 said:
And maybe Detroit: Become Human (depending when it releases this spring).
I'll take a wild guess and say that D:BH is more about problems at domestic front with obvious political subtext than cyberpunk, which will only serve as decoration. And it's gameplay value is near zero, so youtube edition FTW.

metalmaniac21;n10390752 said:
I'll take a wild guess and say that D:BH is more about problems at domestic front with obvious political subtext than cyberpunk, which will only serve as decoration.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. But yeah ... not for everyone. However, it and RDR2 are the two games announced for this year I'm most excited for.

I wonder how much liberty the player will have regarding his/her actions.
Can I frame-up someone and create problems? Or can I find some random information that can help someone?
Not being connected to a missions, or main story, just random actions.

Snowflakez;n10379292 said:
<clip> Pondsmith has said it himself. It's basically just science fiction with augmentations... that's about it. <clip> Augmentations are just there to.. augment you.

Oh the aug vs non aug element exists. There are street gangs violently on both sides of the issue. But the "common man", not really an issue ... to a point. Virtually everyone that works with computers or machinery has an interface jack. Most younger Corps have a bio monitor, and a smartgun link is virtually mandatory for the military. But beyond that it gets murky. Some GMs have ever other person you meet half borg, some don't. Since one of the main themes of CP2020 is "humanity vs the machine" I personally think once you start replacing much more then a limb (or two in the case of legs) you become suspect in the eyes of many. You've made a conscious and deliberate choice to forgo your humanity.

Think of the way you, as a flesh and blood person feel when you have a couple real-life police officers sit next to you at a restaurant, most folks are just a little bit uneasy in their presence. The same applies to the cyber enhanced.

Last edited:
Raxaphan;n10391282 said:
I wonder how much liberty the player will have regarding his/her actions. Can I frame-up someone and create problems? Or can I find some random information that can help someone? Not being connected to a missions, or main story, just random actions.
In D:BH? I doubt there will be much of this outside of missions based on Quantic Dream's prior games.

Rawls;n10391302 said:
In D:BH? I doubt there will be much of this outside of missions based on Quantic Dream's prior games.
No. I meant in CP2077.
Another idea, maybe there will be breakable environment. Or what if you hack the system and put a demolition order for some house or deposit of a corp or gang.

Suhiira;n10391292 said:
Oh the aug vs non aug element exists. .

Right, I figured as much. In virtually any medium where you give people the choice between augmenting or not augmenting, that sort of struggle will exist. The feeling I got was that it wasn't the focal point of the game's struggles in 2020, and probably 2077 (even more people will probably be kitted up by then).

In Deus Ex, the entire game revolves around Augs vs Non Augs - every conflict the player is apart of is aug/"normie" warfare. It got really annoying after a while...

As for me, personally, I don't really care all that much if people have metal legs or not. I've seen plenty of amputees with those fancy cyberlegs that actually help them (jump a bit higher, move faster just using brain impulses... even if it does come with a few costs). Although, I suppose if there really was the sort of cyberpsycho thing to worry about, I'd be a bit more leery... But for now, we're not really in that territory just yet. :p
Raxaphan;n10391332 said:
No. I meant in CP2077.
Another idea, maybe there will be breakable environment. Or what if you hack the system and put a demolition order for some house or deposit of a corp or gang.

Breakable environments will probably be in, but maybe not in a direct way. A few months back, they were using the season generation system they used in TW3 to recreate buildings in 2077, and show robots working on them, stuff like that... So player choices will almost certainly have some effect on the environment, question is how much.

Altered Carbon is very good so far! It's more sci-fi than Cyberpunk, but the influence is still there. Love it.

I wounder what be showed at E3 this year, not only for Cyberpunk (maybe we will get to see some game play??) of course but just all the new games with tech now days being so great and only getting better, looking forward to seeing what gets announced!

Lisbeth_Salander;n10408582 said:
181.440 minutes until E3 2018 or
3.024 hours until E3 2018 or
127 days until E3 2018

Thanks, Lis. I just went and installed a countdown desktop widget.

Top Bottom