The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Lisbeth_Salander;n10483292 said:
...the sky is the limit for this game
This is true Lis. I wish the game to set a standard for others in the industry.
But it can also end up to be a game that looks good but is bad. Let's hope not.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10483292 said:
But seriously, CDPR was able to do Witcher 3 with 100 people.
Total count of people involved in The Witcher 3 development throughout it's 3.5 year dev. cycle is 1500 individuals.

metalmaniac21;n10484142 said:
Total count of people involved in The Witcher 3 development throughout it's 3.5 year dev. cycle is 1500 individuals.

Wrong, count of people involved in The Witcher 3 development cycle is 70.500 people

Sardukhar;n10490682 said:
Deleted a couple...odd jokes. Holocaust-y. Let's avoid those generally, thanks.

Glad I missed those.

I'm curious, what does everyone think of Steampunk as a genre? It's even less used throughout the different entertainment mediums that Cyberpunk has been, but I love the style. I'd love to see an RPG set in a Steampunk world.

EDIT: Oh, hey, do you have any tips for reading Neuromancer? I'm on page 50 or so. I'm trying my best to follow the story, but it jumps around a lot with no context or explanation. I am enjoying the style of the writer's descriptions, however. Makes the city (Hey, it's called Night City!) feel very real and gritty.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10494142 said:
I'm curious, what does everyone think of Steampunk as a genre? It's even less used throughout the different entertainment mediums that Cyberpunk has been, but I love the style. I'd love to see an RPG set in a Steampunk world.

It can be potentially very interesting mix of things. Arcanum of Steamworks and Magic Obscura is an excellent Steampunk RPG, if you haven't played it yet. Might take a bit of getting used to the UI, but it'll reward you in the end.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n10494792 said:
There might be something wrong with the game. I've seen plenty of this type of videos.

There's definitely some AI bugs, no denying it. Still a damn good game.

Snowflakez;n10494142 said:

I don't think this is entirely accurate. It's only in recent years that we've been lucky enough to experience a Cyberpunk renaissance; but sadly it hasn't seen much success. Blade Runner 2049 was a great movie, but it was also a huge disappointment at the box office. Ghost In The Shell was a terrible disappointment at the box office. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided flopped. It's obvious that the majority of the public has little interest in the genre.

Steampunk titles like BioShock and Dishonored are actually very populare. I'd also include Fallout in this category.

Cyberpunk will always be a fringe genre. It's probably better this way.

Neuronin;n10498022 said:
I don't think this is entirely accurate. It's only in recent years that we've been lucky enough to experience a Cyberpunk renaissance; but sadly it hasn't seen much success. Blade Runner 2049 was a great movie, but it was also a huge disappointment at the box office. Ghost In The Shell was a terrible disappointment at the box office. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided flopped. It's obvious that the majority of the public has little interest in the genre.

Steampunk titles like BioShock and Dishonored are actually very populare. I'd also include Fallout in this category.

Cyberpunk will always be a fringe genre. It's probably better this way.

Success is irrelevant to me. Volume and quality matter much more. There are simply more Cyberpunk games than there are steampunk, especially if we look at the past ~10 years of gaming.

BioShock hasn't seen a new entry in years, for example. I also don't see how Fallout is even remotely steampunk. No offense. It's modern/retro-futurism mixed with post apocalyptic. Definitely not steampunk.

And the steampunk games we have aren't really quite what I'm thinking of. I'd like to see vast, Dwemer-like cities with everything steam powered. Fantastical, but still believable stories and open worlds to explore. Airships, handlebar mustaches and goggles. Clockwork stuff everywhere.

A little bit of hope mixed in with the dreariness of everyday life. And, most importantly, just a little bit of that magic that you can't really find in Cyberpunk - the sort of magic you find in the Golden Compass, or even to a much lesser degree, Hugo.

We don't have a single modern game that fits the bill there. To be fair, we didn't have one for Cyberpunk until now, either - but now that the genre is sort of "Revitalized," we have many cyberpunk games in the works.

I hope the steampunk genre undergoes a similar revitalization in the next few years. It's one genre I desperately do not want to completely die off.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10494642 said:
Oooh, thanks for the suggestion. That looks fantastic. I'll pick it up and give it a whirl.
Just beware it has a couple balance issues if you play it vanilla.
I can't recommend any mods because it's been some time since I last played it.

Suhiira;n10498672 said:
Just beware it has a couple balance issues if you play it vanilla.
I can't recommend any mods because it's been some time since I last played it.

You shouldnt have informed him of that. Now he's always uncionsciously looking for it even when it's not there.

kofeiiniturpa;n10498862 said:
You shouldnt have informed him of that. Now he's always uncionsciously looking for it even when it's not there.
They're pretty hard to miss.

kofeiiniturpa;n10494792 said:
There might be something wrong with the game. I've seen plenty of this type of videos.

As a Slav, I see nothing wrong with content of this video.

Snowflakez;n10498312 said:
Success is irrelevant to me. Volume and quality matter much more. There are simply more Cyberpunk games than there are steampunk, especially if we look at the past ~10 years of gaming.

BioShock hasn't seen a new entry in years, for example. I also don't see how Fallout is even remotely steampunk. No offense. It's modern/retro-futurism mixed with post apocalyptic. Definitely not steampunk.

And the steampunk games we have aren't really quite what I'm thinking of. I'd like to see vast, Dwemer-like cities with everything steam powered. Fantastical, but still believable stories and open worlds to explore. Airships, handlebar mustaches and goggles. Clockwork stuff everywhere.

A little bit of hope mixed in with the dreariness of everyday life. And, most importantly, just a little bit of that magic that you can't really find in Cyberpunk - the sort of magic you find in the Golden Compass, or even to a much lesser degree, Hugo.

We don't have a single modern game that fits the bill there. To be fair, we didn't have one for Cyberpunk until now, either - but now that the genre is sort of "Revitalized," we have many cyberpunk games in the works.

I hope the steampunk genre undergoes a similar revitalization in the next few years. It's one genre I desperately do not want to completely die off.

I am obviously more concerned about quality as well, but publishers, producers and investors are not. They make decisions based solely on what is financially prudent. I fear that the Cyberpunk renaissance will die down soon, simply because it isn't financially viable.

I agree that Fallout isn't strictly Steampunk, but it does incorporate some elements familiar to the genre - and it's populare among fans of Steampunk.

I agree that we don't have much pure Steampunk in mainstream culture. It would've been interesting to see a full-on Steampunk movie or game.

Just out of curiosity: What did you think of The Order: 1886?

Neuronin;n10502942 said:
I am obviously more concerned about quality as well, but publishers, producers and investors are not. They make decisions based solely on what is financially prudent. I fear that the Cyberpunk renaissance will die down soon, simply because it isn't financially viable.

I agree that Fallout isn't strictly Steampunk, but it does incorporate some elements familiar to the genre - and it's populare among fans of Steampunk.

I agree that we don't have much pure Steampunk in mainstream culture. It would've been interesting to see a full-on Steampunk movie or game.

Just out of curiosity: What did you think of The Order: 1886?

I actually haven't played The Order. I don't mind story-driven games at all, I just don't really care for console exclusives (mostly a PC guy). Is it good? I might give it a looksie if so, at least via a Let's Play of some sort.

And yes, you're quite right about publishers. That's why generally speaking, companies like CDPR and even Bethesda (and indie devs of course) are who I lean towards the most when it comes to buying my games. I've mostly stopped purchasing from the likes of EA, Ubisoft, Warner Brothers, etc. When you are both your own publisher and developer, you have much more freedom to do stuff that is both financially prudent and pretty good quality wise. Companies like CDPR and Bethesda have proven you can still make boatloads of money without the BS, for the most part (Bethesda ain't perfect).

Yeah, Cyberpunk is definitely, absolutely, 100% going to die down. However, 2077 will almost certainly kick off a wave of other cyberpunk titles in the next... eh, 5-6 years? Other publishers will see the success and want to get in on the action for themselves, of course nickel and diming everyone to death in the process, but still. Then, once consumers get tired of it, they'll move on to "Greener pastures," so to speak. :p

Heck, I'm totally cool with seeing a Bethesda cyberpunk RPG at some point. That'd be phenomenal. Maybe the rumored "Starfield" game will scratch that Bethesda sci-fi itch.

Top Bottom