The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Snowflakez;n10502962 said:
I actually haven't played The Order. I don't mind story-driven games at all, I just don't really care for console exclusives (mostly a PC guy). Is it good? I might give it a looksie if so, at least via a Let's Play of some sort.

And yes, you're quite right about publishers. That's why generally speaking, companies like CDPR and even Bethesda (and indie devs of course) are who I lean towards the most when it comes to buying my games. I've mostly stopped purchasing from the likes of EA, Ubisoft, Warner Brothers, etc. When you are both your own publisher and developer, you have much more freedom to do stuff that is both financially prudent and pretty good quality wise. Companies like CDPR and Bethesda have proven you can still make boatloads of money without the BS, for the most part (Bethesda ain't perfect).

Yeah, Cyberpunk is definitely, absolutely, 100% going to die down. However, 2077 will almost certainly kick off a wave of other cyberpunk titles in the next... eh, 5-6 years? Other publishers will see the success and want to get in on the action for themselves, of course nickel and diming everyone to death in the process, but still. Then, once consumers get tired of it, they'll move on to "Greener pastures," so to speak. :p

Heck, I'm totally cool with seeing a Bethesda cyberpunk RPG at some point. That'd be phenomenal. Maybe the rumored "Starfield" game will scratch that Bethesda sci-fi itch.

I am definitely a PC guy. It's the superior experience machine.

I've never played The Order:1886 myself, but I did watch a Let's Play. It's fine, but very short.

I agree. It's such a risk buying games from the likes of EA, Ubisoft or WB. I'd add Square Enix, Blizzard and ActiVision to that list. This is why I always stress the importance of supporting companies like CDPR. If we want to change the gaming industry we need to support devs like CDPR, particularly during hard times (it's a cutthroat industry). The gaming industry have to learn that CDPR's business model actually works. They have to witness that it's financially prudent to care about the quality of a product; and they have to witness that it's financially prudent to treat gamers with respect.

If only the majority of gamers had some measure of self-respect and discipline. It's way too easy to manipulate and exploit gamers.

Snowflakez;n10494142 said:
Oh, hey, do you have any tips for reading Neuromancer? I'm on page 50 or so. I'm trying my best to follow the story, but it jumps around a lot with no context or explanation. I am enjoying the style of the writer's descriptions, however. Makes the city (Hey, it's called Night City!) feel very real and gritty.

I recommend an audio book version to be honest, specifically the version William Gibson reads himself. His writing style is rather odd and seemingly disjointed to the "uninitiated", once you get through his own reading of Neuromancer the rest of his works are easier to get through yourself.

Ok, I just watched Bladerunner 2049 and it was great, but... and this might sound crazy considering what the movie was criticised for.... I thought it was too short, even to the point of being hasty with certain elements like Niander, Joi, the whitehaired hooker and the rest of the replicants she was with, etc.

I think it's a bleeding shame that the movie flopped in box office, this sort of movie is what cinema needs more of right now, not the delirious fucking cavalcade of braindead bubblegum bullshit like Black Panthers or Thor's or Avengers or Deadpools (this movie actually made me feel physically ill and I couldn't watch it through... I'm not kidding it was just that bad during it's first 40 minutes already) or Spidermen. or Star Wars... But that's just my opinion.

It's a shame because flops this magnitude might, or surely will in some manner affect other movies that might be like it, the willingness of the moneymen to produce them, not to mention Villeneuve's planned version of Dune. And it's probably a reason the "full length" 4-hour-version of Balderunner - that might correct the hastiness - is not in plans for being released (or so I've heard).

Good movie. Too bad for how it did. I heard they'll see if DVD/BR release is a better fit for it than the big screen so... perhaps things can still get rectified to some extent.

kofeiiniturpa;n10511312 said:
Ok, I just watched Bladerunner 2049 and it was great, but... and this might sound crazy considering what the movie was criticised for.... I thought it was too short, even to the point of being hasty with certain elements like Niander, Joi, the whitehaired hooker and the rest of the replicants she was with, etc.

I think it's a bleeding shame that the movie flopped in box office, this sort of movie is what cinema needs more of right now, not the delirious fucking cavalcade of braindead bubblegum bullshit like Black Panthers or Thor's or Avengers or Deadpools (this movie actually made me feel physically ill and I couldn't watch it through... I'm not kidding it was just that bad during it's first 40 minutes already) or Spidermen. or Star Wars... But that's just my opinion.

It's a shame because flops this magnitude might, or surely will in some manner affect other movies that might be like it, the willingness of the moneymen to produce them, not to mention Villeneuve's planned version of Dune. And it's probably a reason the "full length" 4-hour-version of Balderunner - that might correct the hastiness - is not in plans for being released (or so I've heard).

Good movie. Too bad for how it did. I heard they'll see if DVD/BR release is a better fit for it than the big screen so... perhaps things can still get rectified to some extent.

I completely agree. I would have loved to see MORE rather than less of the movie. They delved into so many topics I would have liked to see expanded upon - particularly, the whole "replicant vs normie" uprising thing. I'm betting the 4-hour cut had more on that. I would also have liked to see more street-level content, to get more of a feel for what life is like at lower levels. You got more of that in the first Blade Runner. Which isn't to say it wasn't present in 2049 (the brothel, anyone?), but not to the same degree.

The thing I don't understand is that, the creators could easily just release the 4-hour cut digitally and have little to no overhead. They would only profit from such a move. Who cares what your average movie goer thinks? Free money, and you make a lot of people happy.

I am happy that Villeneuve has apparently said he plans to make yet another sequel at some point in the future, though. Maybe movies like this aren't toally dead?

Snowflakez;n10511352 said:
The thing I don't understand is that, the creators could easily just release the 4-hour cut digitally and have little to no overhead. They would only profit from such a move. Who cares what your average movie goer thinks? Free money, and you make a lot of people happy.

I agree, but there might be some "artistic" reasons for it too. Villeneuve said in some interview that he liked the "elegance" of this version more than the long version, not sure if that's a real reason or just opinion, but... anyway, I hope they change their minds.

I have a question unrelated to Cyberpunk for my fellow folks who may know a thing or two about firearms. I myself am no stranger to handling them, but when it comes to the nuts n bolts and gunsmithing, I know little more than a routine cleaning.

Anyways, I just got a used Model SW40V for my birthday from my family and it definitely has an ejection problem. The spent case goes over my shoulder rather than to the side, and on closer inspection the cases are bulged a wee bit toward the center and the bullet end is usually dented. Is this something I could repair as a way to get my feet wet in the gunsmithing stuff n things, or should I send it into S&W to be repaired?

BjornTheBandit;n10528212 said:
I have a question unrelated to Cyberpunk for my fellow folks who may know a thing or two about firearms. I myself am no stranger to handling them, but when it comes to the nuts n bolts and gunsmithing, I know little more than a routine cleaning.

Anyways, I just got a used Model SW40V for my birthday from my family and it definitely has an ejection problem. The spent case goes over my shoulder rather than to the side, and on closer inspection the cases are bulged a wee bit toward the center and the bullet end is usually dented. Is this something I could repair as a way to get my feet wet in the gunsmithing stuff n things, or should I send it into S&W to be repaired?

Paging Dr. Suhiira

I'm NOT a gunsmith, I know just a tiny bit more then the basics. That said, firearms are precision machinery and used to contain small explosions. Without the proper tools and training I personally wouldn't even consider trying anything more then cosmetic alterations (different grips, sights, etc.). See if your local gunshop has, or knows of a gunsmith in your area, check the internet for other people reporting the same problem. Sounds to me like you may have a failure to fully seat the round when it's loading (only way I can think of for the case to be bulged in the center as the chamber should prevent that). Whatever the problem is it sounds dangerous as hell to me due to that case bulging, if one actually ruptures whoever's firing it at the time will probably be injured. Get thee expert advice and quit using it until you do.

Last edited:
Yeeeeeeah. Definitely don't mess around with that yourself. Hire a witcher.

And by that I mean get a professional gunsmith.

Suhiira;n10528562 said:
I'm NOT a gunsmith, I know just a tiny bit more then the basics. That said, firearms are precision machinery and used to contain small explosions. Without the proper tools and training I personally wouldn't even consider trying anything more then cosmetic alterations (different grips, sights, etc.). See if your local gunshop has, or knows of a gunsmith in your area, check the internet for other people reporting the same problem. Sounds to me like you may have a failure to fully seat the round when it's loading (only way I can think of for the case to be bulged in the center as the chamber should prevent that). Whatever the problem is it sounds dangerous as hell to me due to that case bulging, if one actually ruptures whoever's firing it at the time will probably be injured. Get thee expert advice and quit using it until you do.

I only put 10 rounds through it before I noticed the funny flight pattern... Because one hit my ear. I've sent a ticket into S&W themselves, I'll provide updates when I receive them. Because I'm super curious as to why the bullets are expanding. It's almost like the somebody tried to bore it out to squeeze a larger round in it, because the bulge is 80% of the length of the case, stopping a few millimeters before the rim and primer. And I can't figure out the denting, I don't see any strange markings in the chamber or really anywhere. It racks as smooth as glass and otherwise performs perfectly. Accuracy is fine as far as I can tell (admittedly, I'm much better with a long gun, so that's not saying much.) Typically in a scenario like this, I'd just forget about the thing and get a glock (that's what S&W stole the design from anyways. So closely that they were sued and lost.) but it was a thoughtful gift from my girls who could have spent less time and effort getting me a candle or something, and I rather like that.

RLKing1969;n10540042 said:
Love it! I'd probably be the skinny (well, not so much anymore...potbelly...I am way too fond of beer.), short, vicious, sneaky, little f#cker that sneaks up on annoying guards and cuts their throats. Semper Fi, My friend... A cross branch courtesy since I was Army.

xD Semper FI to you too but I was Army myself (12B10,21W10). The Colonial Marine was meant as in the character picture based on USCM from the Alien's Franchise :p Sorry for the confusion.

BjornTheBandit;n10539942 said:
I only put 10 rounds through it before I noticed the funny flight pattern... Because one hit my ear. I've sent a ticket into S&W themselves, I'll provide updates when I receive them. Because I'm super curious as to why the bullets are expanding. It's almost like the somebody tried to bore it out to squeeze a larger round in it, because the bulge is 80% of the length of the case, stopping a few millimeters before the rim and primer. And I can't figure out the denting, I don't see any strange markings in the chamber or really anywhere. It racks as smooth as glass and otherwise performs perfectly. Accuracy is fine as far as I can tell (admittedly, I'm much better with a long gun, so that's not saying much.) Typically in a scenario like this, I'd just forget about the thing and get a glock (that's what S&W stole the design from anyways. So closely that they were sued and lost.) but it was a thoughtful gift from my girls who could have spent less time and effort getting me a candle or something, and I rather like that.
From what you say it's fully seating ... as you say there's obviously something wrong with the chamber. As to stopping a few mm before the rim, the casing is usually just a bit thicker there (due to the way casings are drawn) and that might explain it.

Is it a 9mm? Might ... just might ... have say a 10mm chamber. No clue, just a guess.

Gleipnir3;n10539932 said:
Eh, it always surprises me when a community has vets in it, especially ones who are open about due to all the anti-military crap going on. But it is nice to meet others.
I'm Nam era ... this ain't nuthing like it was in the early 70's.

Gleipnir3;n10539932 said:
Yeah, it really has it's problems. But it's not a bad first try for WHS. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes. The AI is my major issue atm with the damn game. Though I didn't know It's twitch? I may be wrong, but isn't twitch shooting (CSGO) or swordplay (Chilvary) overly fast paced and requires no skill?
I totally agree, I hope they learn from this an go on to make more games ... maybe give CDPR some competition!

Most "twitch" games require lots of precise timing and the ability to memorize and execute multiple button combos to activate various special abilities, it's virtually impossible to play the game without using them. So I'd hardly say they're "no skill", just a set of skills I personally don't posses.

Suhiira;n10544542 said:
I played TW3 in "Story" (EZ) mode.

I certainly don't think they should go the Pillars or Balsur's route. The format they have now is just fine. I'd just like to see less "twitch' and QTE elements. While no doubt many, MANY, people prefer KCDs combat over TW3s it's just not something I can handle.

All this is based on watching people play on YouTube, I have not actually tried the game (no one I know that lives close enough to visit owns it) and it may not be as "bad" as it looks. But I'm not going to buy a game I might be able to play when all indications are I can't.

Makes total sense, I didn't know it was a physical thing, thought it was a preference.

I hope 2077 is something you can play, at least.

Suhiira;n10540312 said:
From what you say it's fully seating ... as you say there's obviously something wrong with the chamber. As to stopping a few mm before the rim, the casing is usually just a bit thicker there (due to the way casings are drawn) and that might explain it.

Is it a 9mm? Might ... just might ... have say a 10mm chamber. No clue, just a guess.

nope, it's a .40. same diameter but shorter. and the length of the chamber looks to be correct. I just took it ALL the way apart, and there seems to be metal debris in the nooks and crannies. I'd wager its from casings being banged up on the way out, as they all have a sharp dent. Problem is I can't see WHERE they'd be banging. it all looks fine to my untrained eye. It's reputable ammo too, so it wouldn't be some backwater garage mess-up on the casings lol, especially not on 10/10 that I fired. All i can do is wait for S&W to respond. Today is business day 4, and they said within 5

BjornTheBandit;n10549012 said:
All i can do is wait for S&W to respond. Today is business day 4, and they said within 5
I'll be curious to hear what the problem is.
Send me an IM or something.

What I will tell you is this: When in doubt, go to a gunsmith." A firearm isn't something you should f*ck with unless you've got the skills. To illustrate my point, let me tell you a story. " I was at a range in Germany in the Army and we had an M-60 MG malfunction with a triple feed. This dumbass decides to pop the feed tray cover while the gun is still hot and tries to dislodge the clog with a cleaning rod. I tried to tell the dumbass that this was a SERIOUSLY BAD idea, but the dipshit ignored me. Result: The dumb f*cker got the ends of three of his fingers blown off and is lucky he didn't get hit in the head with a stray, cooked off round. Moral of the story: If you don't know what the fuck you are doing, DO NOT F*CK WITH IT! If you do, you might just end up dead. Take it to a skilled pro. The life you save just might be your own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom