The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
RLKing1969 TiaDeLamare

Well, because I am Teh Dummy, I didn't notice that these posts that were supposed to be MOVED were instead..quasi-deleted? Anyway I found some copies in your guys' posting history. Pasting here if you want to continue. Forums are a little borked recently, fixes en route. Thanks Tia for letting me know. I am a Bastard Censor, but generally on purpose instead of by accident...

Forlorn Hope is fine for OT, although a gentle reminder about political talk - keep it Cyberpunk centric. Which your discussion of armed force use and being a soldier is very Cyberpunk after all. Just don't let it get crazy and try to relate it to your character look, the Cpunk world or how our world is turning into the Cpunk world..

-Sard

Originally posted by TiaDeLamare View Post

I have nothing against armies, much less against soldiers. I just find wars generally absurd, even demonic.

Wars prove one thing to me: History can be as destructive as Nature.

But. As I'm a very contradictory person, I'm not a pacifist either.

On the one hand, this world is not an idealistic place, so guns, soldiers and armies are inevitable. On the other hand, the idealistic notion of a completely 'peaceful' society has also been criticized (think about H. G. Wells and his elois... who wants to be an eloi? I believe that would be terrible).

As I said, I have nothing against armies or soldiers. They're just this huge, immense, force that can be used for the better of for the worst. It really depends on the country, on the ruler class' interests, on the zeitgeist. So many variables.

I have written a short story in which there's a guy who is a General. He is brilliant and far from a good guy. But I know there are military out there who aren't "evil", much to the contrary: they try to be as good as this world allows them to be. Like the majority of us.

On a side note, many of my favorite writers have fought in wars. Actually, if you want to learn about human nature, especially the dark side of it, read soldiers' memoirs. I respect what they say, because they have lived the extreme freedom war provides. You won't see many of them talking lightly or casually about war (and you'll see Camus was right when he said freedom or justice, freedom in this case, aren't always 'positive' values).

Ok, that is just my (not very thoughtful) opinion. The number of people who have died because of their opinions throughout History is infinite, but, anyway, that's my opinion.

All right, "I should go now".

RLKing1969 response:

Believe it or not, SO DO MOST OF US! Wars are some of the most senseless, wasteful pastimes that mankind has ever created to fatten their egos' and their bank accounts. Having said this, protecting one's self and family is a necessity and SOMEONE has to do it...People like me. Truth be known, most of us fight, at least in our own viewpoint, fight more for our families back home and our brothers on the battlefield...everyone else can, quite frankly, go screw themselves. The sad fact is, no civilian, no matter how "With it" they think they might be, will EVER be able to truly "Get it."

Sardukhar;n10564182 said:
Forums are a little borked recently, fixes en route.

Are fixes actually en route? That would make me very happy. There have been some seriously weird bugs lately. I hit the button to go to the last page, and it takes me to page 9/100 instead (just an example, happens to a lot of threads). And when I try to multiquote, the text box disappears. Not to mention notifications still showing after dismissing them.

Laying it out like that, they're actually not that bad.. just a few inconveniences. But still. Hope they get fixed soon-ish?

Believe me I'll be among the first person to tell you wars are STUPID and unbelievably wasteful of resources and lives. And I'd wager 99% of the people in legitimate (i.e. not your local ethnic cleansing militia) military forces anywhere in the world would agree with me. As appealing as the fantasy of "No More War" is it's not grounded in reality. All it would take is a tiny group of armed ruthless amoral people to make the lives of everyone else hell on earth if we all disarmed as some idealists desire.

And ... to relate this to Cyberpunk ...

This is one of the things I love about CP2020 ... it's NOT a fantasy world. The tech is realistic, people act and react realistically, no one has "superpowers".

Sure, we can't do all the things postulated by CP2020 today (as good as Max Mike is he's not perfect at predicting the future)... but everything is based on realistic science and engineering and there's every reason to suspect we will be able to make and use everything in the game. Maybe by 2077 ... maybe not ... but eventually.

BjornTheBandit;n10528212 said:
I have a question unrelated to Cyberpunk for my fellow folks who may know a thing or two about firearms. I myself am no stranger to handling them, but when it comes to the nuts n bolts and gunsmithing, I know little more than a routine cleaning.

Anyways, I just got a used Model SW40V for my birthday from my family and it definitely has an ejection problem. The spent case goes over my shoulder rather than to the side, and on closer inspection the cases are bulged a wee bit toward the center and the bullet end is usually dented. Is this something I could repair as a way to get my feet wet in the gunsmithing stuff n things, or should I send it into S&W to be repaired?

I'm not a gunsmith, but i have taken a couple armorers courses and rehabbed a few old military surplus rifles... so i'll throw my 2 cents your way.

on the issue of spent case ejection, the main culprit to look at would be the ejector. if you look on the right side of the slide, just behind the chamber is a tab sticking out. this piece interfaces with the rest of the bolt face and as the slide travels rearward, that little guy is supose to be flinging your brass to the right. as for why it's not doing that, the first culprit is always springs, especially in a used weapon. there's a spring under that tab that returns it to it's resting position... if it's weak, your extractor could be starting it's job halfway through it's range of movement and contribute to the issue. if it's not the spring, next thing to look at would be the geometry of the extractor itself... could have been damaged from use, or bubba might have taken a dremel to it to "fix" something. neither part should be a bank breaker.

spring is $2
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...40ve-sw9c-sw9e-sw9f-sw9g-swgp-sw9p-sw9v-sw9ve

the issue with case bulging and the brass getting dinged up... well that could be down to the choice of ammunition, even my glocks pitch a fit when i try to feed them steel cased ammunition and aluminum cases generally arn't made to be reloadable so if you're feeding it one of those that could be the problem. unfortunately handguns just don't like to feed anything but brass... this from a guy who feeds his rifles many of his rifles a steady diet of new and surplus steel cased, so i'm no ammo snob. also, if you're feeding it reloads, that could be the cause of the issue.

if you're feeding it factory new brass cased ammo, the main culprit for the bulging would be deformation in the chamber area, or a chamber that wasn't properly supported in the design. if the chamber is messed up, you're only real option is a replacement barrel. those would run you somewhere around $75 and are a simple drop in replacement assuming you already know how to field strip it for cleaning.

you do clean it...right?

if you're iffy on the take-down, you can usually find you-tube videos to walk you through disassembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imVQbgaO80

as for your final question on working on it yourself or sending it to S&W... I'd recommend trying to do the work yourself to try and keep the cost down. while it's possible S&W has some super warranty work program that would rehab your pistol free of charge... you have to get it to them first. so unless you live within driving distance of their warranty facility, you'd need to ship the handgun overnight express. that's just the rule, long guns can travel ground but handguns have to go express no matter the carrier... and it costs a good chunk of change. I recently priced out shipping a pistol from California to Louisiana to get some work done to it, UPS quoted me $90 one way! that's more than the cost of ordering all the suspect parts i've listed, and don't forget you need it shipped back too. so my advice would be to try working on the extractor yourself and if drop in replacement parts don't do the trick, look for a local smith to trouble shoot the problem for you... and don't throw good money after bad, after all the gun is only worth ~$300 and you don't want it turning into a money pit ;)

Lisbeth_Salander;n10600542 said:
What about stopping a bullet with your own hand (but losing your hand on impact)? Something described on CP2020 main rules book by Blackhand?
While reading this post by Lisbeth I was thinking that it will be nice if the serious wounds will make you install cyber parts.

You go to an expensive hospital, if you can't afford the full medical price they offer to install some implants or cyber limbs for the money you have.
Or you go to someone known and they help you with whatever medical knowledge they possess or quality parts they have.
Maybe there will be cases where you need to wait for them to receive the organ or parts you need. And you need to play the game with some handicap.

I assume the majority of players will definitely not like what I said above.

Raxaphan;n10601452 said:
While reading this post by Lisbeth I was thinking that it will be nice if the serious wounds will make you install cyber parts.

You go to an expensive hospital, if you can't afford the full medical price they offer to install some implants or cyber limbs for the money you have.
Or you go to someone known and they help you with whatever medical knowledge they possess or quality parts they have.
Maybe there will be cases where you need to wait for them to receive the organ or parts you need. And you need to play the game with some handicap.

I assume the majority of players will definitely not like what I said above.

OR... they extend you credit to cover the cyber replacements at rates typically reserved for shady "pay-day loan" operations and mob bookies. but don't worry, there's a three month grace period to help you get back on your feet. not until the sixth day of the fourth month of non payment will an agent be dispatched to reclaim their property, at their own expense.

you owe it to your family... you owe it to yourself!

so yeah, i totally want them to incorporate "repo men" into the game, perhaps even as a side activity for the player.

kofeiiniturpa;n10617722 said:
And lastly...
Pies and cakes are indeed different desserts, they use different dough and all. The case here is more akin to having two cakes, one with 3 layers and iced with whipped cream and strawberries and another one with 8 layers and the strawberries substituted with peach, kiwi fruit and chocolate crumb. Some might say they’re totally different because hey, there latter is much bigger and the former has nothing green or yellow on it, but they do still share much more than meets the eye (and the eye specifically).

Goddamnit GUYS! STOPPIT! I'M ON A DIET FOR THE NEXT MONTH. THIS IS SOME KIND OF CRUELTY ABOVE AND BEYOND.

Guys, have mercy for Sardukhar. His Luck on dice rolls for the diet is not pleasant. If the rolls are getting worse his Empathy towards you might drop. And I don't know how to call MAX-TAC doctors in the case of an emergency.
:scaredpeasant:

Raxaphan;n10618092 said:
Guys, have mercy for Sardukhar. His Luck on dice rolls for the diet is not pleasant. If the rolls are getting worse his Empathy towards you might drop. And I don't know how to call MAX-TAC doctors in the case of an emergency.
:scaredpeasant:

Oh I have a Trauma Team caaaaa..dammit! Which of you Ratlings stole my TT card?!!

Has anyone seen BladeRunner 2049, to me this is Cyberpunk at its prime, how do you think the world of 2077 will be different, right now I'm wondering about just how resource scarce the world is? are there REAL animals, plants, do people live off world. how will this be different from Deus Ex? Cyberpunk is a really particular Genera that keep core elements but can diverge vastly from each other, I know Cyberpunk 2077 will be really different but what are your ideas on how?

sidyka;n10626781 said:
Has anyone seen BladeRunner 2049, to me this is Cyberpunk at its prime, how do you think the world of 2077 will be different, right now I'm wondering about just how resource scarce the world is? are there REAL animals, plants, do people live off world. how will this be different from Deus Ex? Cyberpunk is a really particular Genera that keep core elements but can diverge vastly from each other, I know Cyberpunk 2077 will be really different but what are your ideas on how?

I suggest you read the 2020 source books to get an idea what the world is about.

Cyberpunk 2077 is based in the Cyberpunk 2020 universe. I think you've mistaken "cyberpunk" for "Cyberpunk." They are the same genre, but they are not identical things.

And yes, I've seen 2049, it's a fantastic movie that everybody should watch. :p

97 days until E3 2018!

sidyka;n10626781 said:
Has anyone seen BladeRunner 2049, to me this is Cyberpunk at its prime, how do you think the world of 2077 will be different,
This is a 2013 interview, so things might have changed:

"There are lots of cyber games around, but there’s not a lot of punk in those games,” adds Mateusz. “We want to put more punk into ours. We do not want to make a dark and hopeless world. We are not doing Blade Runner. It will be full of rock and roll.” “It’s more like a Tarantino approach,” Sebastian concludes.

source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...into-cyberpunk

But also, Mike Pondsmith said that "Cyberpunk is Blade Runner" cant remember where or when though. AND Mike also said in his official reddit account that they are no bioenginered "humans/robots" in Cyberpunk, so there might be non bioenginered robots though i guess.

Top Bottom