The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
Zagor-Te-Nay;n8505960 said:

Rowley, my man, are you playing this?

I think I speak for all of us, would be great to have something similar here. ;)

Nope. A) Vanquish kinda bored me and B) that's not Cyberpunk at all. Maaaaybe if you're top-of-the line Full Conversion Borg..actually, not even then.

Way too flashy and, frankly, silly to be a gritty, nasty combat style.

Sardukhar;n8506860 said:
Nope. A) Vanquish kinda bored me and B) that's not Cyberpunk at all. Maaaaybe if you're top-of-the line Full Conversion Borg..actually, not even then.

Way too flashy and, frankly, silly to be a gritty, nasty combat style.

Entirely up to them.
I'm joking ( well, mostly) about this of course, but they could definitely learn a few pointers from greatest action game of all time...controls and how to design coherent, complex but easy to grasp gameplay systems, above all else.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8505960 said:

Rowley, my man, are you playing this?

I think I speak for all of us, would be great to have something similar here. ;)

Although the character movements aren't realistic, this game has a very dynamic camerawork and the gunplay is nice. I think what really stands out is the hability to slow time in a very fast pacing action game, in other words, the game allows the player to have control in midst of all the chaos.

But this have a negative side, since if you give the player the option to use the "atomic bomb" wich means the OP ability, the player will then use this ability all the time, destroying all challenges the game could have.

Ps: The term "atomic bomb" is also known as "finding the power armor in the first 10 minutes of Fallout 4"

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n8508450 said:
Although the character movements aren't realistic, this game has a very dynamic camerawork and the gunplay is nice. I think what really stands out is the hability to slow time in a very fast pacing action game, in other words, the game allows the player to have control in midst of all the chaos.

But this have a negative side, since if you give the player the option to use the "atomic bomb" wich means the OP ability, the player will then use this ability all the time, destroying all challenges the game could have.

Ps: The term "atomic bomb" is also known as "finding the power armor in the first 10 minutes of Fallout 4"

Vanquish is brilliant because it utilizes similar mechanics done in other games in a way that forces you to always pay attention. You cannot activate slow mo with a button, it only works after precisely timed dodge/in air/slide.
But those situations also make you more vulnerable and gameplay is non stop thrill ride of balancing your health and your energy, mobility and cover.
It's a perfect example of complexity coming from only a handful of mechanics working together, intend to reward risk and skill.

Since we are throwing action games around... Serious Sam is a good example of how extremely lightweight mechanics can produce fun and airy grind that flows like spring water in Lapland. This kind of would be fit well with Cyberpunk, would it not? Forget the cartoony art style in the video, imagine that happening in a dark, rainy alley - a BIG alley - under the neon lights. Awesomesauce. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry all, Fell into some kinda lovecraftian abyss that I had to claw my way out of (teachers call it "End of the School Year)

But since we're tossing about good game mechanics that pointers could be taken from for gritty combat.

Little bit of Ac-Dc just adds to the humor in this case

kofeiiniturpa;n8510350 said:
Since we are throwing action games around... Serious Sam is a good example of how extremely lightweight mechanics can produce fun and airy grind that flows like spring water in Lapland. This kind of would be fit well with Cyberpunk, would it not? Forget the cartoony art style in the video, imagine that happening in a dark, rainy alley - a BIG alley - under the neon lights. Awesomesauce. ;)

Lots of weapons, unlimited (?) ammo, bunny bouncing as a tactic to avoid getting shot, looks like the perfect shooter!
Just needs a PvP element.

Suhiira;n8534840 said:
Lots of weapons, unlimited (?) ammo, bunny bouncing as a tactic to avoid getting shot, looks like the perfect shooter!
Just needs a PvP element.

Revolvers have unlimited ammo, others don't. And the game has PvP multiplayer. Ain't that just awesome?

More seriously (ha ha, sometimes I just kill myself), though I did like those games for what they offered; just a good, honest shooter.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n8535280 said:
Revolvers have unlimited ammo, others don't. And the game has PvP multiplayer. Ain't that just awesome?

More seriously (ha ha, sometimes I just kill myself), though I did like those games for what they offered; just a good, honest shooter.

If i had a cent each time i seen someone post a video of a

A) Action third person shooter
B)First person shooter finishers...

I would buy another PC for my brother...

Sometimes i even wonder if people bother to inform about the pen and paper game before posting that stuff... If they do they would see such mechanics are not fitting cyberpunk at all..

I mean this is a game based on a pen and paper game and setting last thing i want is another themepark shooter masked as rpg.

Mebrilia;n8541410 said:
Sometimes i even wonder if people bother to inform about the pen and paper game before posting that stuff... If they do they would see such mechanics are not fitting cyberpunk at all.. I mean this is a game based on a pen and paper game and setting last thing i want is another themepark shooter masked as rpg.

Based on is not "complete simulation of" it will nessecerally take a different form from the PnP game. other wise you would need a GM to play it.

Honestly if you are expecting a simulation of the PnP game you are in for a bad time.

I don't care if this is a dying forum or dead thread! I've already made up my mind that I'll linger (or lurk, depending on how you look at it) here until some life shows up!

/me emerges from a darkened corner of the bar and shoots Bjorn once in each kneecap with his hell-bringer revolver. "this lively enough for ya noob?" :p

BjornTheBandit;n8561140 said:
I don't care if this is a dying forum or dead thread! I've already made up my mind that I'll linger (or lurk, depending on how you look at it) here until some life shows up!

Heh... this forum is not dying... what your seeing is hybernation, or something like it. XD

The forum has almost always had longer period of time with lower levels of activity... and then a spurt of activity for a week or a month when some new Cyberpunk 2077 news and/or rumor happend to hit the internet... Or, the occational times when someone new, or a few new people, comes around joining the forum and started to write things here... at which time some of us oldtimers wakes up from our temporary hibernation to adress all these "whippersnappers" who pops up every now and then. XD

I have seen this happend multiple times during the past 4 years... and I am sure it will happen multiple more times during the next 2 or 3 or so years as well (I am not expecting the game to be released untill 2019, or possibly as late as 2020).

During these 4 years I have tended to shift between checking and writing on the forum multiple times every single day... to periods of time where I only check and write something every few days or once a week or something... to then the occationally periods of time where I disappear compleatly from the forum for several weeks or even months. My last hibernation lasted about 5 weeks from around early April into May. During these 4 years I think I have had 2 or 3 times where I compleatly disappeared from the page for something like 6+ months, the last one I think happend during the middle of 2016.

A lot of other people come and go as I do as well... and maybe a handfull or two of people are more or less permanently here ( Sardukhar for example, being a Mod and all... but I am not sure if Sard is actually here on his own free will, or if he is being held hostage by a herd of ponies... XD )... some people even disappear compleatly. These tendensies tend to happend with the people from each new wave of joiners that we get as well. XD

I don't expect this "behavior", of this forum, to really stop all that much until possibly the earliest sometime in 2018, or potentually as late as 2019... It compleatly depends on when CDPR finally feel they want to come out and say "This date is when CP2077 will be released on"... and since CDPR really liked how Bethesda rolled out Fallout 4 (Bethesda did not say anything, at all, about FO4 untill something like 4-6 months befor it was going to be released), then I would not be surpriced if CDPR does something simmilar.

Last edited:

I figured Sard was somehow actually plugged into the forum a-la The Golden Throne of the Emperor of Mankind, and all of the stuff we are writing is actually being permanently seared into his psyche.

But yeah, the forum is more hibernating than dead. Lot of lurkers just waiting to see what happens.

Top Bottom