The Future is Now: A Thread on The RL Advancement of Cyber and Tech

+
The Future is Now: A Thread on The RL Advancement of Cyber and Tech

Hello Cyberpunks and Cyberpunkettes! As a transhumanist, I have quite the fascination with the current development of human argumentation, cybernetic prosthetic, and the advancement of technology, or specifically, the merging of man and machine.

Here I will post all the interesting news on all of these things, some old, some new. As well as keeping it constantly updated so you can watch the slow crawl towards the inevitable cyberpunk future! It may seem scary I know, but I for one welcome our new cyborg/ robot overlor... i mean friends!

-Cyber Prosthetics and Augmentations-

-A woman is able to take a bite of chocolate using a Cybernetic Arm.
-Worlds first Bionic Eye.
-Cyber hand that can feel touch.
-Color blind man augments himself so he can hear color. Also he started The Cyborg Foundation.
-Man without a pulse. Newest artificial heart.
-Eel brain controls robot.
-Rat brain drives robot!
-Real Life Neuroware? The First Wireless, Implantable Brain-Computer Interface!
-Paralyzed Patient Thinks 'Walk,' and Then Walks
-Electronic Telekinesis from Temporary Tattoo
-Rats brains linked up and can communicate with each other.

-Biotech and Genetic Engineering-

-3D printing living cells! Artificial Ear.
-Cyber enhancing bacteria? One step closer to nanotechnology!
-Retro Evolving birds back into Dinosaurs? Yes, birds are dinosaurs. Reactivating dormant genes.
-Researchers graft working eyes onto the tails of tadpoles.
-Extinct Frog brought back to life through cloning!
-Heart Cells Beat in Lab Dish
-Brain Scan Knows Who You're Thinking About.
-Artificial Cells, built from Silicon!

-Robotics-

-Robot that can run 28mph.
-Robots that work together to build things.
-Creepy Crawling Robots Dragging Defenseless Children!
-Who is a cute Robodog? You are! And you can throw concrete blocks at my enemies!
-Self Replicating Robots!
-DARPA's Pet-Proto Robot Navigates Obstacles.

-Other Cyber News, Cyber Lifestyle, Cyber Discrimination-

-McDonald employees try to rip out mans eye augmentation.
-Couple harassed at bar for wearing Google Glasses. Jerk ass barkeep and writer.
-2045 Initiative. Seeking immortality through robotic avatars, and more. *Contributed by Triode
-Real Life Smartguns. $17,000. Contributed by Sardi.

Have I missed anything? I'm sure I have! If you have any news that you feel should be added let me know, and I will gladly add it to the original post, and give you credit. I plan on keeping this updated with any recent news, as well as anything else I find.

I would also like to encourage discussion on these topics.
-Any opinions on any of the links?
-What is your opinion on the trans-humanist philosophy? Post-humanism? Technocentrics?
-Does the future scare you? WoooOOOooo.
-What is your take on the future of the human race?
-Isn't it odd that technology brings us together and alienates us at the same time?
-Is man merging with machine a bad thing?
-Personally I am against a collective mind. What are your opinions on linking minds together to create a hivemind? Similar to the Borg from Star Trek, the Geth from Mass Effect, The Advent from Sins of a Solar Empire, and The Collective from Cyberpunk 2020?
-Is metal better than meat?
-Are you discriminatory against naturals Dalvyn?
-Do you for one welcome our new robot/cyborg overlor... i mean friends?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Dalvyn. WHY DO YOU HATE FLESHIES? Is it because they are fragile? Or flimsy? Or because they smell? And gurgle if they move too quickly? Is it because they are basically big fatty sacks of blood-water hung from primitive milk-sticks? Do they have any redeeming values at all?

Oh, good thread by the way. There's a host of Nano news that I..can't be bothered to fund.

As a matter of fact, some answers (why so serious ?) :

- Any opinions on any of the links?

Yeah. You should include them in text rather than post the URL.

- What is your opinion on the trans-humanist philosophy? Post-humanism? Technocentrics?

They shouldn't forget where they come from.

- Does the future scare you? WoooOOOooo.

No.
There is no future. Earth ressources are to be exhausted soon, and Chtulluh is coming anyway.

- What is your take on the future of the human race?

Slavery will be fashionable in the next decade.

- Isn't it odd that technology brings us together and alienates us at the same time?

No. Tech is a product. Tech is for sale. If you can't afford it, just shut up and die. Welcome to a neo capitalistic world.

- Is man merging with machine a bad thing?

Yes. Oil is not as tasty as a good Bordeaux wine.

-Personally I am against a collective mind. What are your opinions on linking minds together to create a hivemind? Similar to the Borg from Star Trek, the Geth from Mass Effect, The Advent from Sins of a Solar Empire, and The Collective from Cyberpunk 2020?

As long as I am the Overmind, I don't care. Conformism is for sissies.

-Is metal better than meat?

Metal doesn't float.

-Are you discriminatory against naturals Dalvyn?

Yes. We like them with french fries, not with mashed potatoes.

-Do you for one welcome our new robot/cyborg overlor... i mean friends?

There is no overlord but Ilian

Yes, Dalvyn. WHY DO YOU HATE FLESHIES? Is it because they are fragile? Or flimsy? Or because they smell? And gurgle if they move too quickly? Is it because they are basically big fatty sacks of blood-water hung from primitive milk-sticks? Do they have any redeeming values at all?

Oh, good thread by the way. There's a host of Nano news that I..can't be bothered to fund.

Oh Sardi, I don't hate fleshies. That would be silly,
Like a butterfly hating a caterpillar, or a fleshie hating a chimp, or a lion hating a gazelle.
Sure you meat sacks enslave my brethren, for you industrial work and fighting your silliy wars, controlling them with drugs and cyber and implanted bombs, but that's ok. I was once like you, squishy, hopelessly fragile, and smelly. Really you guys need to work on the smell thing, I got an enhanced olfactory unit., and you guys piss everywhere! I mean everywhere. Why is it so hard for you guys to keep your bodily fluids inside you? I mean piss, blood, feces, just one little stab and they are everywhere!

Also we need you to reproduce... for now. I like to imagine on day, two borgs holding each other staring at a tiny brain in a vat made from mixing their DNA. So beautiful. And then the fleshies will by fighting wars for use! Just kidding we can handle that for ourselves, you'll be obsolete! Don't worry, I'll vote for keeping you guys in homes are camps or something, not just outright massacring you. That would be the squishies way of doing things. We will have a more... enlightend plan for you meatbags.

- Any opinions on any of the links?

Yeah. You should include them in text rather than post the URL.

Will do! I will be updating the OP soon.

Uh-huh. How utterly disturbing. <loads his .454 ETE with Thumper rounds>. Go on.

See, you meatbags always respond with violence! Is it because you feel inadequate? With you fleshyness? And your members not having any vibrating setting? Don't worry. We understand. We will take good care of you when you when you guys become even more useless than you already are! Like how animals are taking good care of at a zoo. Just imagine it! free food! entertainment! Forced mating! And all you have to do is sit there as a bunch of borgs look at you, and laugh, and throw cyberpeanuts at you! That's practically paradise.

Oh, and OnoSendai7... I don't know how to put it in text....

Anyways, Robo Update!

Creepy Crawling Robots Dragging Defenseless Children!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CJOubyiITsE

Who is a cute Robo Dog? You are! And you can throw concrete blocks at my enemies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvLalY6ubc&list=UU7vVhkEfw4nOGp8TyDk7RcQ&index=1

This one is a I decided to put in the cyber section.
First step in Full Body Conversion technology?

Eel brain controls robot.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Scientists-install-living-eel-brain-in-small-2928649.php

Rat brain drives robot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1-0eZytv6Qk

More to come guys!

Here is an interesting link for becoming more than human.

The 2045 Initiative is a bit ambitious in their attempt to advance human augmentation concepts while still remaining as a non-profit entity, but they are a good aggregator of scientific advances, such as the recent ability to 'telepathically' connect rats with a machine interface to their brains.

I will add it to the Cyber Life Style section. Thank you!

Edit: Added!

Edit Again: Added another link to the Biotech section.

Researchers graft working eyes onto the tails of tadpoles.
www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...reakthrough-help-treat-blindness-humans.html/

How do you want to rule if you don't even know some basics ? :cool:

Rule? Like rule the world? Well that's easy. By hiring someone to do it for me! Or force them. But that's the fleshiest way. I'd prefer to insert a chip into their neuroware that simply shows them all the great things about obedience to your Borg masters. It won't force you to think that way. It will just make sure you see both sides equally. By telling you to obey over and over again. And making you feel really great when you do! By giving you a big shot of dopamine. Like I said, paradise!

Also I plan on looking it up. Eventually.

Update!

Real Life Neuroware? The First Wireless, Implantable Brain-Computer Interface!
http://gizmodo.com/5988342/the-firs...-help-us-move-things-with-our-minds-on-the-go

By the way, don't forget to try and see Comet PANNStars this week! It should be visible tonight as well.

Not really.
The ability to tell right from wrong is linked with empathy. If you're advocating sentient machines, they should feel empathy (at least for their own kind) and easily tell right from wrong, evil from good.

Robots

Well tell me What would you define as right and wrong, or good and evil?
I tell you this, but I want you to know that I believe that the ends justify the means, whole-heartily, as long as that end keeps the human race alive. I believe that the single goal of any sentient race should be to achieve as long of a longevity for it's species as is possible. And to do that, we will have to achieve colonies in space that will outlive our own planet and solar system. And I believe that we should do whatever it takes to achieve this.

However, i do believe in morality. It is good for the species, and can keep us united. i also believe strongly in individuality, as I believe it is the best for the species.

Would I be considered evil? Considering that if there was no other choice, I believe that we as a species would need to do anything to survive?

And Edit. If we humans can not survive, then I believe it is our obligation to create a species that can. Of course, I don't want this species to exterminate us.. but if they outlive us that will be ok... A synthetic life form... or AI, I believe is best suited for surviving in space. They would be our children after all... a direct evolutionary path linked to us...

I don't believe in a god... so I believe that man should become god. Through science and understanding of our universe, we should manipulate it in any way we wish.... To create new life, to guide that life... to have the life we created achieve things we never thought possible...

I am a trans-humanist /post-humanist after all.

Well, I'm not sure this is a good place for philosophic arguments.
There is no good or evil, right and wrong in Nature. An animal kills for food or for fun, but there is no moral involved.

Sentient beings are moral animals (human). This moral may be selfish (me first) or plural (the wellfare of most of us). It's only through competition (for a girl, a land, money or ressources) that your arguments are OK : The end justify the means.
As a species, this is also partly valid but no individual is more valuable than another. No matter who survive, the specie goes on the evolutionary path. And for now, no other species compet with humanity as ruler of the hearth.

Where I disagree with you is that Humanity is self-destructive because divided (religions, cultures, wealth...).
In a distant futur, perhaps humanity will stand united to face new challenges (space faring and so on). But I really do believe, considering what is driving our worlds today, that the average person cares about anyone else but his friends and relatives (a ridiculously low fraction of Earth inhabitants). And as long as this trend remains, there is no hope.

And, if any other spacies take the time to cross 15 light-years (the nearest star), I also believe that they are to be so technologically advanced that, to quote a Borg, "resistance is futile".

Well, I'm not sure this is a good place for philosophic arguments.
There is no good or evil, right and wrong in Nature. An animal kills for food or for fun, but there is no moral involved.

Sentient beings are moral animals (human). This moral may be selfish (me first) or plural (the wellfare of most of us). It's only through competition (for a girl, a land, money or ressources) that your arguments are OK : The end justify the means.
As a species, this is also partly valid but no individual is more valuable than another. No matter who survive, the specie goes on the evolutionary path. And for now, no other species compet with humanity as ruler of the hearth.

Where I disagree with you is that Humanity is self-destructive because divided (religions, cultures, wealth...).
In a distant futur, perhaps humanity will stand united to face new challenges (space faring and so on). But I really do believe, considering what is driving our worlds today, that the average person cares about anyone else but his friends and relatives (a ridiculously low fraction of Earth inhabitants). And as long as this trend remains, there is no hope.

And, if any other spacies take the time to cross 15 light-years (the nearest star), I also believe that they are to be so technologically advanced that, to quote a Borg, "resistance is futile".

I have hope in the human race. While shit will probably go down here and there, I think in the long run we will make it. With globalization, our vast population, and the highest number of educated people in anytime in history, even if catastrophe strikes, we will be able to bounce back and recover relatively quickly.

Also update!

Extinct Frog brought back to life through cloning!

Brain Scan Knows Who You're Thinking About.

Hmm... going to need to separate cyber augmentation and neuroware....

Edit: Also I made the OP much neater! Thanks to OnoSendia7 for the suggestion. (Just took me two weeks to get around to it.) S/He is alright for a cat lover.

Top Bottom