The Future is Now: A Thread on The RL Advancement of Cyber and Tech

+
Guys, just a reminder, please do not go into discussing politics. It will be safer to stick to the topic.

Guys, just a reminder, please do not go into discussing politics. It will be safer to stick to the topic.

But we could continue the philosophical side of our debate couldn't we? As long as we keep it away from the politics? I was having fun.

Mm. I wasn't aware politics were forbidden, Gregski. I must have missed that on the forum rules. Is it some weird section of Polish law? Which amuses me no end that we are governed by. A nice change from the usual, really.

Yes, the political discussions are to be avoided on this (and the Witcher) forums. I would call it a good practice rather than some strict rule. It's not forbidden by Polish law either.

Political discussions do more harm than good to the community, this has been proved too many times. One thread has been already locked because of this lately and so will be every other one that goes into discussing real world politics.

But we could continue the philosophical side of our debate couldn't we? As long as we keep it away from the politics? I was having fun.

Philosophical duscussions are always welcome :)

The problem with prohibiting "political" discussion is drawing the line between what is "political", and what is just the uncomfortable truth. Also problematic is then, if the statement is true and factual, whether people have the right to have feelings and opinions about that truth.

Is it political, or "nation bashing", if you point out something factual, especially for example in a historical content? Because, most likely someone will not like that particular uncomfortable truth.

However, I for one don't want to have a beef on these forums with anyone because of something like this. I fully understand even stating some historical facts may piss some people off, and things will escalate, so I guess we'd rather not go there.

This was very much off-topic, but I had something on my chest. I feel better now. Sorry. :confused:

It's also going to be interesting making these distinctions because some of what we like so very much about CP2020 and by extension, 2077, is it's realism and real-world factors.

Unlike in the Witcher series where you might debate which country represented which real-world version here and which leader stood for whom, Cyberpunk is set in the real world, real people are mentioned and real-world events influence Cyberpunk events.

There are also many very clear parallels that are important to the CP setting, such as the failure of the U.S. to learn from Vietnam and to then do it again, even worse this time, in South and Central America in Cyberpunk 2020.

The entire state of the U.S.A. in 2020 and 2077 is going to be very political. The construction of that setting is going to be very political. Where does Saburo Arasaka get his motivation from? The failure of the Japanese duing WW2. It drives him and alhough it's unlikely he's alive by 2077, it informs the operationsof Arasaka in every way..

I get where you guys are coming from, but CP2020 is very political with real-world politics informing the game world. This might be attentuated by 2077, but if they are trying to keep the "feel" of CP2020, then that is going to involve corporate politics over-riding human rights concerns, (political), the dominance of the Europeans over the U.S. and Japan, ( political) and of course nearly anything a real Rockerboy does is influenced by politics.

What I'm saying is that if you close every thread that wanders into political territory as the game develops, that's going to be a lot of throttling.Which would be too bad. There are some really interesting discussions to have vis-a-vis current US economy and Cyberpunk predictions, as well as the resurgence of the European state.

There are certain types of discussion that come down to arguing about our belief systems - this may include anything from political and religious debate to platform wars. You all know how those discussions go - people argue from their own belief systems and, in doing so, upset those who don't share the same beliefs. Nobody ever changes their mind as a result of the discussion, and the discussion usually ends with a locked thread and, possibly, warnings/bans against some members. "Nation Bashing" definitely falls into that category. Our preference as mods is to intervene BEFORE it gets to that point.

I saw C. MacLeod's post before he deleted it, and it didn't cross any boundaries, but it rang enough alarm bells to justify the warning post. A pre-emptive strike.

So for any future posts, please consider two points - is it relevant to the game, and is it likely to offend others who either don't share your views, or who are from the countries being mentioned?

Regarding the general view on political themes, I hear what you're saying. For now, the rule stands, but we will look into it and try to come out with some clearer guidelines.

Mm. Some solid advice, Dragon. And that's really all I hope for: a forum where as long as people do not stray past reasonable, relatively polite boundaries, it's okay to talk about a wide variety of subjects, including politics. As friends.
I've found in the end, it's better to remain internet-friends than win some pointless debate about which religion caused what.

The "don't take it personally, kids" approach.

Except Wisdom. He should take it personally. Because we really -are- out to get him.

Back on topic-ish: years ago I played an adventure sci-fi game where the method of conflict in space was resolved through drones. You coded them, launched them and hoped they did their best. Speeds and distances in space were too great for any other approach.

Seeing this Linux rifle, I am reminded of that game and a foreseeable future where humans will be merely a finger on the trigger of a machine that carries out the rest of the operation. A biological go/no-go switch.

@Sard - Just to be clear, the answer to
is it likely to offend others who either don't share your views, or who are from the countries being mentioned?

should be "No" :p

(Unless, as you say, it's aimed at Wisdom).

And

years ago I played an adventure sci-fi game where the method of conflict in space was resolved through drones. You coded them, launched them and hoped they did their best. Speeds and distances in space were too great for any other approach.

I think I played that too. Was it called "Space Invaders"?

I saw C. MacLeod's post before he deleted it, and it didn't cross any boundaries, but it rang enough alarm bells to justify the warning post. A pre-emptive strike.

I saw it too, and I agree. It was just a bad post, written in a bad moment, and it didn't really have anything to do with anything, which is why I edited it out. These forums aren't the place for that kind of posting.

Arguing about belief systems is of course an age old pastime, and people do obviously have a right to believe in whatever they want. This thread being about the future and advancement of technology though, I just had - and kind of always do have - this annoying, depressing feeling of how we who live right now are sort of robbed of our future because of how belief systems have stymied the advancement of science and technology. People even a single generation away from us may reach the so-called singularity, a point where due to the massive advances in technology, their lifespans are extended so much that they live to see a day where their lifespans are extended indefinitely. In other words, immortality. And we don't get that, because we were born a few decades too soon. We have to end.

I feel like had there always been a bit more of a rush and panic among all the populace of the planet to advance knowledge and technology, instead of gleefully believing this isn't the only life we get and thus not worrying about dying at all, we - us right now - might actually have a shot at something awesome.

So... That's why I'm bummed out by the prospects of our lives. That, however, is no reason to make bad replies on a great forum. :cool:

So let's have some philosophy about politics :)

Have a drink and let's chat for a while (well, I chat for now).

My dear Dalvyn, I think the time of great wars is over. Wars are now asymetric (a powerfull against a weak, generally ending in guerilla warfare). Nuclear weapons are no more relevant in such conflicts. They are legacies from WW2 and cold war era.
The future development I see fit in any cyberpunk setting are biological / chemicals weapons. A terrorist action using chemical agent is described in Neuromancer. Remember how the Aum sect used Sarin gaz in Tokyo subway ? Well, imagine such a group may produce the Ebola virus or some lethal toxins. In a CP setting, there would be no difficulty for such a group to produce such products. These weapons are cheap and quite easy to produce with the right knowledge and equipment (and in CP, both are plentiful). My opinion is, as States are decaying and their nuclear weapons rust in their silos, extremist factions may well have a devastating power at hand, and many would be willing to use it.

But hey, it's just a game, isn't it ?

Which reminds me, we've decided we're OK on politics as long as it's game-related and doesn't stray into "likely to offend other forum members".

Yay! Now watch as this is the -last- time politics comes up in the next two years. Just to make me look like an idiot.

Yay! Now watch as this is the -last- time politics comes up in the next two years. Just to make me look like an idiot.

Don't worry - I'm pretty confident that nothing that happens could impact on whether or not you look like an idiot.

Top Bottom