The Future is Now: A Thread on The RL Advancement of Cyber and Tech

+
Silly, yet surprisingly convincing!

john says negative things and doesn't support his argument. He's our local troll who has somehow managed not to offend anyone, but do not take his posts seriously. He did say something vaguely constructive the other day, though..
here we go:

"so the solution against stagnation is to go back and recycle the formula from decades earlier. ok.

maybe originality and innovation in game design is what's actually needed. introducing sci-fi element has no impact on game, level design, mechanics, etc. basically anything involved in gameplay."

Which was nice! Followed up by a denigrating post about some games without supporting statements.

Anyway. Kurzweil is not a silly man. He is a very, very bright man who is a director of engineering at Google and who invented OCR and the first flatbed scanner.

My only problem with the H+/transhumanist community is a tendency among some people to look upon these ideas as a religion of sorts. Regarding the technological singularity as prophecy. It can seem like a "secular religion" at times. I can understand why these ideas are so awe inspiring, but that doesn't mean someone should suspend all skepticism, and critical thinking for blind faith.

That being said, I definitely support Ray's work. It will be awesome to see how accurate his predictions turn out to be.

Here's a great interview with Ray Kurzweil on Singularity 1 on 1.

john says negative things and doesn't support his argument. He's our local troll who has somehow managed not to offend anyone, but do not take his posts seriously. He did say something vaguely constructive the other day, though..
here we go:

Haha, all good dude. I didn't think anything of it, but thanks for the heads up ;)

Kurzweil is a genius. Apart from the inventions, his predictions on technology have an unbelievable rate of accuracy. Even down to WHEN they will come true. He's predicted practically all of our modern day technology developments; wireless internet, smart phones, e-books, facial recognition, nanotechnology. It's hard not to listen to the guy. His ideas may seem 'silly' to some, but I think people need to open their eyes and realise that one day soon, anything will be possible with these tech advances. Maybe not in 20 years time like he states...but definitely one day.

I think it will be interesting to see how people will adapt to the singularity if it were to happen. As mentioned above, some people may turn it into a religion, some may start a war or by that time, maybe people will be ready for change. And whilst I do believe that Ray's predictions could end up true in the near future, I don't believe it will be good for humanity. Especially the possibility of living forever. Which leads me to think that they may develop the technology for these advances, but never release it.

Can't wait to watch that interview once I get home, imago_mortis. Thanks!

I have been! I -banned- a guy the other day! For a little while. He had been naughty. Anyway.

Such..POWER. It feels like...the sun!

On the downside, the REDs beat us with sticks shaped suspiciously like rubber pretzels while yelling lyrics from Prince's "Little Red Corvette". I don't know what that means?

Are you back for awhile or just stopping in to taunt the organics?

My only problem with the H+/transhumanist community is a tendency among some people to look upon these ideas as a religion of sorts. Regarding the technological singularity as prophecy. It can seem like a "secular religion" at times. I can understand why these ideas are so awe inspiring, but that doesn't mean someone should suspend all skepticism, and critical thinking for blind faith.

I definitely agree that we should all be skeptical of everything. I am skeptical of transhumanism myself, even though I identify with the ideology. I definitely see that it is optimistic, and naive at times. However, I feel that it will be necessary in the future for the survival of our species, as well as being inevitable with the march of technology.

To Sard: I'll try to be around a little more frequently. Can't let the organics get to uppity and forget their place after all. I'd be on a lot more if we could actually get some news about the game!

On the downside, the REDs beat us with sticks shaped suspiciously like rubber pretzels while yelling lyrics from Prince's "Little Red Corvette". I don't know what that means?

That's not meant to be the downside. Most of us mods consider it a reward.

To Sard: I'll try to be around a little more frequently. Can't let the organics get to uppity and forget their place after all. I'd be on a lot more if we could actually get some news about the game!

Yes, you've probably noticed that the "News" section hasn't really grown since you were last here. Good to see you back though, it definitely raised the tone of the forums.

Note to self: When meatbags please us, reward them with beatings of snack shaped sticks while singing prince songs to show our gratitude. This will keep them happy and subordinate.

Yes, you've probably noticed that the "News" section hasn't really grown since you were last here. Good to see you back though, it definitely raised the tone of the forums.

Thank you! I'm glad that my rants about your inevitable overthrow by synthetics lightens the mood.

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/19/talos-iron-man-suit_n_4300576.html

Heres what the prototype looks like

Theres also this http://www.informationweek.com/arch...vations-to-watch/d/d-id/1111900?page_number=5

"A four-year effort at the Army’s Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC) has resulted in a fully integrated headgear system that offers soldiers more protection and comfort than before. The Helmet Electronics and Display System-Upgradeable Protection, or HEaDS-UP, reduces the logistic footprint of combat helmets for ground soldiers, Don Lee, a NSRDEC project engineer, said in a written statement. “Right now, mounted soldiers have two helmets. So if they dismount from the vehicle, they’re supposed to swap helmets.”

With HEaDS-UP, both mounted and dismounted soldiers can use one helmet. The Army has developed two modular headgear concepts that include technologies such as see-through and projected heads-up displays, improved ballistic materials, and communications. The headgear also features eye, face and hearing protection."

Last edited:
Solar FREAKIN Roadways

I like !

Has anyone seen this?

The "problem" with those things is usually one or both:
1) Weight
2) Cost

A ground pounder can only carry so much, around 23kg. Sure they can physically carry 2 or 3 times that, but not and be effective/mobile.
And there are any number of things that cost a few hundred thousand each we could equip troops with, sorry, not cost effective.

Last edited:
I like !

The "problem" with those things is usually one or both:
1) Weight
2) Cost

A ground pounder can only carry so much, around 23kg. Sure they can physically carry 2 or 3 times that, but not and be effective/mobile.
And there are any number of things that cost a few hundred thousand each we could equip troops with, sorry, not cost effective.

Thats why TALOS will hopefully be issued to SOCOM. Dont special forces usually get first pickings of new technology?

I seriously have a feeling it will get cheaper and more cost-effective as it gets more widespread, like it usually is with technology.

those super soldier things have been around forever, it's just useless drain on the defense budget. but some con artists in the pentagon must be really convincing.

Top Bottom