The Future is Now: A Thread on The RL Advancement of Cyber and Tech

+
Not trying to be a dick, or anything; but solar raodways are... well... totally ridiculous.
This video does a great job of explaining why:
Hey, no worries; new technologies *should* be subject to critical and peer review. The video does a nice job of detailing the logistics that would be involved.

I still think it could be a feasible idea in limited use (ie, carparks / parking lots in generally year-round sunny areas) with a few tweaks, but yes; a good analysis of why it's not feasible on a mass scale.

those super soldier things have been around forever, it's just useless drain on the defense budget. but some con artists in the pentagon must be really convincing.

Iunno, people in the past derided now quite present technologies with disdain and skeptiscism. Napoleon derided the very first steamboat and I swear Ive seen a PHD during the 90s think the internet will never catch on.

Last edited:
I still think it could be a feasible idea in limited use (ie, carparks / parking lots in generally year-round sunny areas) with a few tweaks, but yes; a good analysis of why it's not feasible on a mass scale.

If i remember correctly the video address that point. I don't even see it being practical in use at parking lots. Not when you could just make overhead solar panels that track the sun. It's better to just put the solar panels above the parking spaces. While being able to collect sunlight even when a vehicle is in a space, (those solar tiles couldn't) it also provides shade from the sun, and blocks rain and snow. The only downside is the panels getting covered with snow, but someone could shovel that off.

Even with that all of the points raised about solar roadways still apply to solar carparks/parking lots. If we make a solar carpark the most important thing (aside from being able to drive on it) is having visible parking spaces. Under the full light of day, it's going to be very difficult to see the LED displayed parking spaces.

The idea just doesn't seem practical to me in any situation. I mean like you said, maybe with some tweaks it could be feasible; but what could anyone tweak about this idea that doesn't involve scraping the whole thing?

If i remember correctly the video address that point. I don't even see it being practical in use at parking lots. Not when you could just make overhead solar panels that track the sun. It's better to just put the solar panels above the parking spaces. While being able to collect sunlight even when a vehicle is in a space, (those solar tiles couldn't) it also provides shade from the sun, and blocks rain and snow. The only downside is the panels getting covered with snow, but someone could shovel that off.

Even with that all of the points raised about solar roadways still apply to solar carparks/parking lots. If we make a solar carpark the most important thing (aside from being able to drive on it) is having visible parking spaces. Under the full light of day, it's going to be very difficult to see the LED displayed parking spaces.

The idea just doesn't seem practical to me in any situation. I mean like you said, maybe with some tweaks it could be feasible; but what could anyone tweak about this idea that doesn't involve scraping the whole thing?

I can see someone rich buying these to decorate his driveway or the outside of his mansion. So he can boast about having a Tron driveway/garden.

It could work as just stylish flash.

Last edited:
I can see someone rich buying these to decorate his driveway or the outside of his mansion. So he can boast about having a Tron driveway/garden.

Haha!
Probably that couple Who started the solar roads. They wanted to raise $1,000,000 so they could build an evil lair with a light bright driveway!

This reminds me. Werent the roads in the 2077 teaser glossy black with glowing cyan lines?

Ah yes they were, wonder whats the deal with those aside from "Style Over Substance".

Last edited:

There's a number of carparks / parking lots that don't have full occupancy during business hours of the business in question. Also, the lanes in-between the rows of parking stalls could be solar panels.

For LED visibility (or lack thereof) in full daylight, I just figured that there would still be a traditional paint outline for spaces, for visibility during daylight hours.

Though, to your point, if it'd be just as cost-effective (if not moreso,) you could just have a giant solar array, shading the *entire* parking lot. Would be VERY handy in places that are sunny / hot most of the year, like Las Vegas. I figure that small-scale solar arrays like that would provide energy to the buildings they were immediately adjacent to.

There's a number of carparks / parking lots that don't have full occupancy during business hours of the business in question. Also, the lanes in-between the rows of parking stalls could be solar panels.

For LED visibility (or lack thereof) in full daylight, I just figured that there would still be a traditional paint outline for spaces, for visibility during daylight hours.

Though, to your point, if it'd be just as cost-effective (if not moreso,) you could just have a giant solar array, shading the *entire* parking lot. Would be VERY handy in places that are sunny / hot most of the year, like Las Vegas. I figure that small-scale solar arrays like that would provide energy to the buildings they were immediately adjacent to.

If you think about it, the LED's aren't even necessary. You could just take that same concept, and put it in the vehicle. Like a heads up display for your car, or something.
The guy in the video I shared made a follow up video. He address some questions people had about the solar roads, and further demonstrates how ridiculous the idea is.

Thats why TALOS will hopefully be issued to SOCOM. Dont special forces usually get first pickings of new technology?

I seriously have a feeling it will get cheaper and more cost-effective as it gets more widespread, like it usually is with technology.

Yeah SOCOM has access to ANY toys they want.
A little known fact is they also TEST new equipment. If they think it's useful and works well it has a MUCH better chance of being adopted by the normal forces (within reason, again the cost of an item is a big factor, a dozen whatevers for SOCOM at $50,000 each is one thing ... two million to equip the entire US Army is another).

Yeah SOCOM has access to ANY toys they want.

Proooobably not. "Hey, here's the new nuclear missile remote transponder doohickey. Enjoy! What, SAC who?" "Guys! I got them to let us drive the new Uber class ballistic missile submarine! YES."

Or did you mean, small toys only?

Proooobably not. "Hey, here's the new nuclear missile remote transponder doohickey. Enjoy! What, SAC who?" "Guys! I got them to let us drive the new Uber class ballistic missile submarine! YES."

Or did you mean, small toys only?

If SOCOM actually needed a nuke for some verifiable reason they'd get one.
Remember some of those guys know exactly how nukes are built/work, they have to for the day (not "if" but "when") some lunatic decides to use a home made one. You don't think the local police bomb squad is gonna handle THAT one do you?

If SOCOM actually needed a nuke for some verifiable reason they'd get one.
Remember some of those guys know exactly how nukes are built/work, they have to for the day (not "if" but "when") some lunatic decides to use a home made one. You don't think the local police bomb squad is gonna handle THAT one do you?

I like to think your government would, in fact, not give a nuclear device to special forces because they said they needed one. I -like- to think that policy decisions at that scale would have little if anything to do with what a bunch of highly-trained grunts think they want. I like to think it would take the President himself to make that call and special forces operators would be as significant in the decision process as the rest of the delivery mechanism - barely at all. I like to think that. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I suspect that, depending on the local police and time available, yes, the local police bomb squad would handle it. No doubt with fibre-optic link to some EOD expert. If at all possible.

On topic: would this be an area where modern teleoperators would step in? Send in the bomb robot and then have some expert run it from 2,000 miles away?

Last edited:
I did say "verifiable", that sort of implies presidential authority in the case of a nuke.

As to who would handle it, as always it depends on the circumstances at the time. Given the option they'd of course prefer to have an "expert" at that sort of thing, that's where SOCOM (and a few other alphabet-soup agency experts) come in.

No need to be 2000 miles away, in 99.9% of cases 20 would probably be just fine.

Top Bottom