The Future is Now: A Thread on The RL Advancement of Cyber and Tech

+
Has anyone seen this? We're watching it: http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/incredible-bionic-man-the/0/3378516

Amazing. Try to guess who the guy is who has two bionic legs. You won't by how they move. Incredible.

"I think having normal bodies is boring."

*is not impressed*

Seeing as the robot is following a program where it's movement will be the same each and every time, unless the program is changed manually, and all you have to do is to put more and more stuff on the pillar to get the intended target high enough, or change the perimeters of the program to slice X amount higher or lower to hit the target, it's just not impressive to me.

Industrial robots have after all been doing precision work for multiple decades by now in all kinds of industries, since atleast the late 50's or at the very least the 60's or so... so this is nothing new really. All they did was put a katana in it's "hands", and made a program out of the guys recorded movements which the robot is just following.

I mean, it is fun of course, always cool to see and all. I would just need a bit more for me to be impressed by it.

Mech Anime/Movies/Videogames is one of my favorite kind of Anime/Movies/Videogames. And stuff about AI and Robots are also fun and interesting. I have liked a lot of stuff where Robots where part of them (in one size or another, with varied amounts of real of "fake" intelligence, needing to be piloted or not, with varied amounts of screen time).

In general though the kinds of robots I prefer tend to be the large and somewhat realistic ones, which often needs to be piloted. So for example Mech Warrior (my favorite Mech based IP out there) or the movie Pacific Rim (a movie which proves to me that they now REALLY have the technology to make a Mech Warrior movie... during the early 00's, especially after having seen Matrix 2 and 3 (due to the robots the humans pilot to fight the enemy), I started to feel we had reached a level of technology where a Mech Warrior movie could be a reality).

And even though I do not mind to much all other kinds of robots, and even really like them (even the unrealistic ones like Gundam, Macross, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc)... I do still prefer the more realistic approach to robots. The Anime series I mentioned, even though I like them, I find those robots to be way to agile and maneuverable, especially the ones that fly... not because they fly, that's fine... but because they move around like some kind of ninja hummingbird or something.

When it comes to none piloted robots, big or small... I can and do feel they are cool and all... but it is usually only the ones with a personality/character, if you will, that I really tend to like a lot. Not all of course, but some of them.

Like here below in the spoiler tag where I talk about my favorite robotic character... a character which shares my nr 1 spot, of my favorite Marvel/comicbook characters, together with Wolverine. A cyborg/robot/AI type of character named Death's Head and/or Death's Head II (II as in 2). He is... awesome. :)

Somewhat long :p But also contains some awesome pics of DH. :)
So as I said... he is one of my two favorite comicbook characters (together with Wolverine). Death's Head is essentially a robot/cyborg, with real artificial intelligence (in at least his two first incarnations, not sure about the 3rd since I have not read that one yet). He is really funny, a wise cracker and what not (again, at least his first 2 incarnations). In his first incarnation his intelligence is a created one, and he is basically a Bounty Hunter, who talks a bit funny, is a joker and wisecracker, occasionally breaking the 4th wall. He is maybe not the nicest guy around, and usually only does good because it happened to go along with what he was doing. He is a total badass! Also, how many characters do you know who has been part of both Marvels universes, the Transformers universe (where he started out actually), AND Dr Who's universe? XD Not that I personally am a fan of Dr Who, never been able to bring my self to watch that series (even though on paper it should be something for me).

But it is especially his 2nd incarnation, Death's Head II, which I really like, since that is where I found him (he was also the reason I got into reading Marvel comics to begin with). In his second incarnation Death's Head inhabits a new robot body, an AI robot called Minion which can "assimilate" other peoples minds (built by Dr Evelyn Necker in the year 2020 (fancy that!) to protect and further the goals of A.I.M)... unfortunately for the people, who's mind Minion "assimilated", they do not survive the process. At the time of Death's Head's encounter with Minion, Minion had assimilated the knowledge and minds of 105 different people (not only humans) through out space and time (yes... Minion was a time/space/dimention traveler as well... so was/is Death's Head and Death's Head II), anyone from warriors to scientists, etc, who have a huge range of skills and/or knowledge and/or intelligence. Death's Head became the 106th. But due to the fact that Death's Head was not a "real" intelligence, but rather an artificial intelligence, this caused problems for Minion, since Death's Head was able to fight back against Minions own artificial intelligence to try and gain control over the body. Death's Head was losing though, and if nothing was done Minion would eventually overcome Death's Head and make him part of Minions "library" of people. Fortunately Death's Head get's help, from Minions actual intended 106th target, and the result of that is that Minions mind and programming is suppressed, and Death's Head mind becomes the dominant mind of the Minion robot/cyborg... and thus Death's Head II is "born".

Due to the already existing minds of 105 other personalities though, Death's Head's own personality is slightly altered. For one he becomes more of a good guy, where his original incarnation had not been all that fussy about all that... being a bounty hunter and all who would take the bounty for any person... good or bad. His abilities are also highly elevated due to the Minion programs programming, and those 105 personalities combined intelligence, knowledge, and combat skills. But also due to the much more powerful robot/cyborg that he now inhabits (the right arm can morph into what ever he needs it to be really for example... he usually makes it a melee weapon... but it can also morph into various energy based ranged weapons... not to mention his assimilation "tool", the "Cranial Siphon").

Images! :)

Death's Head in his original form. The weaponry can, and has, changed through out the various DH1 stuff... although his melee weapons seems to usually have been the same, at least in DH1's own comics. In the DH2 comic he looked slightly different, and he used an altered set of weaponry.

Death's Head in his form in the "Death's Head II" comics, note the sword blades coming out of his wrists (which of course is very reminiscent of Wolverine). This is a tracing that I did of him back in... oh probably 1992 or 1993. I always intended to do a tracing of DH2 as well back then, but I could not make up my mind which picture of DH2 I wanted to use, so it never happen. This is the look I usually tend to prefer when it comes to DH1.

This is the cover, for the DH2 comic, where DH1 go head to head with DH2. This is also the cover used for the Swedish collectors comic called "MEGA Marvel" that I found back in the early 90's, which is the comicbook that got me into reading Marvel comics in the first place. The cover drew me in when I saw it. Minions right arm here (on the left in the image) is the "Cranial Siphon" tool.

Death's Head II in all his glory. This is a pretty recent painting/drawing of DH2. It was pencilled by Liam Sharp, who is one of the two creators of DH2 . Someone else, Ryan Brown, painted it. Other people created DH1.

DH2 also ran around with a partner during some time. Her name is Tuck. From what I remember she was one of many of Dr Evelyn Neckers experiments. She was created through genetic and synthetic engineering, her body is organic but her physical abilities are enhanced.

Death's Head is awesome. Yes? :D

I don't have a problem with people making use of tech to improve their lives (e.g. compensate for missing limbs or other impairments, improve memory, etc.), but I'm completely opposed to developing strong AI, and sincerely hope that we never arrive at the singularity.

Nothing against robots, but if Blade Runner, Battlestar, and Ex Machina has taught us anything, it's that humans suck and they should not be playing god.

I don't have a problem with people making use of tech to improve their lives (e.g. compensate for missing limbs or other impairments, improve memory, etc.), but I'm completely opposed to developing strong AI, and sincerely hope that we never arrive at the singularity.

Nothing against robots, but if Blade Runner, Battlestar, and Ex Machina has taught us anything, it's that humans suck and they should not be playing god.

Since there is a vacancy in the god department I am completely ok with us playing it. At least carefully and under controlled circumstances. As far as A.I. goes, I believe there is a strong chance that we as a species might not be able to take to the stars and will die on this planet. Robots are much better for conquering the hazards of space, and if not us, then I would like our creation to take over the stars.

So you humans should really get on that A.I. and robotics thing...

Since there is a vacancy in the god department I am completely ok with us playing it. At least carefully and under controlled circumstances. As far as A.I. goes, I believe there is a strong chance that we as a species might not be able to take to the stars and will die on this planet. Robots are much better for conquering the hazards of space, and if not us, then I would like our creation to take over the stars.

So you humans should really get on that A.I. and robotics thing...

You can't create a sentient, self-aware species (which is exactly what strong AI is) and then keep it in a "controlled" environment. That's called slavery, it's unethical, and it would probably just lead to robots rebelling against their creators.

Stephen Hawking recently said that "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race." I think I'll take his word over yours. As for "conquering the stars," we've already made a mess of this world. We should probably get our own house in order before venturing further out into the solar system.
[url]http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

[/URL]

You can't create a sentient, self-aware species (which is exactly what strong AI is) and then keep it in a "controlled" environment. That's called slavery, it's unethical, and it would probably just lead to robots rebelling against their creators.

Stephen Hawking recently said that "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race." I think I'll take his word over yours. As for "conquering the stars," we've already made a mess of this world. We should probably get our own house in order before venturing further out into the solar system.
[url]http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

[/URL]

I was thinking more of a mother raising her child than a slave master relationship when I was talking about a controlled environment.

As for Stephen Hawking, he is a physicist, so his expertise on A.I. is questionable. With all due respect, he is of course a very intelligent man, however there are others with more credibility in this department.

But of course he is right, A.I. will be a threat to humanity, like any new technology. Just like the atomic bomb, gunpowder, and coal. Technological advancement has always been a double edged sword, one humanity needs to wield with caution.

As for the planet, while it is sad that species go extinct and yes we do need to get global warming under control, if some have to die so that the human race may advance then so be it.

And to hope that we never reach the singularity? Because why? You fear it? We didn't get to be where we are now because of fear.

I was thinking more of a mother raising her child than a slave master relationship when I was talking about a controlled environment.

As for Stephen Hawking, he is a physicist, so his expertise on A.I. is questionable. With all due respect, he is of course a very intelligent man, however there are others with more credibility in this department.

But of course he is right, A.I. will be a threat to humanity, like any new technology. Just like the atomic bomb, gunpowder, and coal. Technological advancement has always been a double edged sword, one humanity needs to wield with caution.

As for the planet, while it is sad that species go extinct and yes we do need to get global warming under control, if some have to die so that the human race may advance then so be it.

And to hope that we never reach the singularity? Because why? You fear it? We didn't get to be where we are now because of fear.

The creation of AI, for now, is more of an ethical and philosophical question now than anything having to do with computer science, in my opinion. And I think Stephen Hawking is well equipped to give his opinion in that way. I also think that AI would be problematic. And AI reaching singularity could even be scarier. People are constantly letting themselves become cattle driven in directions that benefit those in power, are driven to commit attrocities against fellow men, etc. And not even supposedly pragmatic points of view and seeing, as an example, casualties of war, problems like the one we're having with the refugees, problems in the third world, domestic violence, the wage gap... any kind of human drama, as a statistic, helps with that.

I wonder if AI has any benefits whatsoever. It's hardly going to tell us anything about how the human mind works, even if the thing was programmed so that it's intelligent and to give some semblance of empathy, they wouldn't be anything other than sociopathic socially acceptable responses being mimicked. Who knows what an AI reaching singularity could do, if that is even possible. We could even find ourselves not crushed by a robot army, like in the Terminator or the Matrix movies, but fighting for them, if they became our rulers (maybe without us knowing) against fellow humans, much like we fight now for corporate and elite interests against people who have much more in common with us than our leaders.

Weird shape-shifting car. By BMW.

Since I'm on a roll:

Max Okun, a whole 'nother class of dedication:

[video=youtube;574ibwSe-zc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=574ibwSe-zc[/video]

Last edited:
[video=youtube;zkv-_LqTeQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkv-_LqTeQA[/video]

---------- Updated at 10:44 AM ----------

Top Bottom