The Future of Modding in the Transition to UE5

+
Yea it would probably be a very bad move too say that mods are banned or something similar. Sure there not bethesta so its not there only lifeline but its still quite the community now with cp2077. If they released proper tools and so on it would probably become even bigger. Bethesta tryed to charge for mods (they still kinda do) and they got quite the backlash. CDPR might not be for moding sure but activly trying too stop it im fairly sure they wont do.

All it takes is Epic pulling on CDPR's "strategic partnership" string and CDPR will have no say. They will bake the game and all you'll be able to count for is re-shades. You won't even be able to change the textures, future games will be air tight due to "security risks involving new technologies".

All it takes is Epic pulling on CDPR's "strategic partnership" string and CDPR will have no say. They will bake the game and all you'll be able to count for is re-shades. You won't even be able to change the textures, future games will be air tight due to "security risks involving new technologies".
How about we wait and see what happens before jumping to pessimistic conclusions?

Oh, right, because Epic is just against mods! Totally forgot that. All these UE games with mods are just delinquents totally going against Epic wishes.

C'mon dude, you're grasping at straws.

when its come modding on game isn't about black and white .
to be honest on solo game some few studio keep an eye on modding community .
Witcher 3 NG was one the last best example , how they integrate on udpate some feature from modder community .

this.

the modding community in general is bigger and therfor way more creative than any company ever could be. they show them how their games could look like and what people desire. companies who fight modders (in single player games) are ignorant and stupid.... and thats a call from someone who plays on console. they should see modders as a gift not as an enemy in the first place. given ideas and inspiration for free is the best a company can aquire. (not even talking about bugfixing stuff they obviously cant do theirselves after several patches but thats another story)

Last edited:
Best examples for longlivity of games with mod support are Skyrim, Fallout 3/4, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk and many more.

I would think it would be a damn shame if it was no longer possible, or only possible to a very limited extent, to individualize the game experience in this way.

I would think it would be a damn shame if it was no longer possible, or only possible to a very limited extent, to individualize the game experience in this way.
I won't worry too much about mods on Unreal Engine :)
(not sure on UE5, but I doubt it would be different than it is on UE4)
There are plenty of games on Unreal Engine which support mods and not only "shaders" or "minor" mods. My "best" example (I guess there are many others) it's ARK Survival Evolved. For example, all the "non official" maps available as free DLC were originally created by modders and available as mods, then integrated to the official game by Wild Card (like Ragnarok, Crystal Isles, Fjordur, Valguero or Lost Island).

I won't worry too much about mods on Unreal Engine :)
(not sure on UE5, but I doubt it would be different than it is on UE4)
There are plenty of games on Unreal Engine which support mods and not only "shaders" or "minor" mods. My "best" example (I guess there are many others) it's ARK Survival Evolved. For example, all the "non official" maps available as free DLC were originally created by modders and available as mods, then integrated to the official game by Wild Card (like Ragnarok, Crystal Isles, Fjordur, Valguero or Lost Island).

Conan Exiles is also another very mod friendly game. Also in the same vein as ARK.

CDPR has always been supportive of the modding community and they've only reinforced this with their recent actions.

UE, and Epic, have also been supportive of modding for a long time and have proven so time and time again. In fact, many of their own made their debut on the modding scene. They've introduced modding in their own games. They've released official plugins to help add mod support to UE games. People have been modding UE games for decades. The engine itself is available for free (within certain limits). If anything Epic has made UE a great choice for anyone hoping to allow mods on their game.

I really don't get why people are worried about this. There is absolutely no reason to think mods won't be supported by future CDPR titles at this point in time.

I really don't get why people are worried about this. There is absolutely no reason to think mods won't be supported by future CDPR titles at this point in time.
I think people totally forgot about how REDmod was added to CP77 to make modding easier. This just shows that devs and company as a whole care enough about modding part of the community.
Also, a huge number of people aren't really interested in modding whatsoever (me), but I will still defend mod scene as a freedom and platform of expression. Literally, same energy as fanarts or cosplay, but then again, there's official REDmod tool. So I doubt that potentially switching the game engine in the future releases would prevent CDPR from embracing the modding community.

I think people totally forgot about how REDmod was added to CP77 to make modding easier.
One side of the medal - one could also say to let other fix and develop mechanics which they werent capable or creative enough for. ;)

but as i said before it would just be stupid for a company to block modding - its free work and inspiration, no backdraw for them more the opposite.

they will support modding for sure.

Top Bottom