The Future of Red Engine?!

+
It's between the first one and the second and third ;)
So in the second, the loot disappeared, the character skills was "limited" and armor/weapons are almost "cometics". But in the first one, combat gameplay was quite clunky, not very good so to speak. So I guess that Bioware mainly focused on the story, the relation with your crew and the gameplay than "RPG elements".
Exact same character on the first episode / the second (the same in the third) :
View attachment 11305753View attachment 11305756View attachment 11305750
To compare, Outer Worlds (but combats are not that great, biotic are just so fun in ME^^) :
(And I don't count the various buffs/debuffs that you can acquire by beating enemies, be beaten by enemies... nor the reputation with factions)
View attachment 11305759View attachment 11305762View attachment 11305765

Edit : example of difference with Paragon/Renegate in ME
In the first one Renegade and Paragone determined how much perk point you were allowed to put in charme/intimidation. But if you didn't put any point, dialogues were unavailable (it was up to you). In the second and the third, nothing like that. You have the Paragon/Renegade level, dialogues are directly available.
Kinda off-topic, but the French translations of Paragon and Renegade into "Conciliation" and "Pragmatism" are so cool and perhaps even offer a better description of those dialogue options/moral alignments

Kinda off-topic, but the French translations of Paragon and Renegade into "Conciliation" and "Pragmatism" are so cool and perhaps even offer a better description of those dialogue options/moral alignments

You make a valid point. It's a poor translation but ''pragmatisme'' at least is a far more accurate representation than renegade.

But it also made no sense at all that dialogue would be unavailable to you as a paragon or renegade. It's a measure of your moral alignment and the choices were representations of that - morality (not very deep, we can agree on that I'm certain). It made far more sense that someone wanting to be a renegade could choose renegade dialogue options regardless of having that one last point in intimidation.

From what I've read and heard, the biggest issue with Frostbite was how it was just dumped on Bioware without any support from Dice. It was a learn as you go experience and ME Andromeda suffered greatly from it. It could've done far better had Bioware received the needed support.

That's EA though. I can't think of any other publisher that has killed as many franchises.
Tbh the Paragon/Renegade system is pretty much just a copy paste of Swtor's Dark/light force system. Or Jade empires system of karma. Its a basic very easy way too add morality and some branching dialogues. Da2s system is more fun IMHO (Loved silly Hawke, was fun too see dialogue that you dont choose start too reflect your "personality") but i was fine with MEs way too. Atleast it gave me a reason too replay the game atleast 3 times (Paragon/Renegade/choose what i myself would have) Me1 hade more skills such as presuade and intimidate and so on. Also you could go both renegade and paragon. Me1 was pretty clunky tho i agree.

Yea the whole Bioware + frostbite was a proper disaster. No support since most of that went too Fifa since its EAs cash cow. Nowdays they have a better grasp of it and its a great engine for some stuff. DAI was pretty ok and Me andromeda wasent that bad tbh. The combat is fun and good, its just facial animations and the story thats kinda meh(facial animations were more then meh but...). The same way i feel about DA2 tbh, the story was pretty interesting since its not change of location but of time thats the thing. Also combat is pretty sweet (something they have gotten better and better at) sadly the locations is way too copy/paste and its pretty bad location with little variation.

This is pretty much why im kinda exited too see what CDPR can do in UE5. Hopefully they can keep the cinematic feel and atleast match Witcher 3s RPG elements. If Witcher 4 goes more action im not so sure ill like it. Also hope combat will become a bit more smoother and with some more tricks.

Yea the whole Bioware + frostbite was a proper disaster. No support since most of that went too Fifa since its EAs cash cow. Nowdays they have a better grasp of it and its a great engine for some stuff. DAI was pretty ok and Me andromeda wasent that bad tbh. The combat is fun and good, its just facial animations and the story thats kinda meh(facial animations were more then meh but...). The same way i feel about DA2 tbh, the story was pretty interesting since its not change of location but of time thats the thing. Also combat is pretty sweet (something they have gotten better and better at) sadly the locations is way too copy/paste and its pretty bad location with little variation.

I'm genuinely disappointed that ME Andromeda got the reception it did. It had some technical issues and the story wasn't as interesting but I thought it was very serviceable. I played it after the bugs has been ironed out and found it be a fairly solid entry into the series and from what I've seen, it seems to be the concensus from players replaying it now.

I wish we could've seen more of Andromeda - maybe in ME4.

This is pretty much why im kinda exited too see what CDPR can do in UE5. Hopefully they can keep the cinematic feel and atleast match Witcher 3s RPG elements. If Witcher 4 goes more action im not so sure ill like it. Also hope combat will become a bit more smoother and with some more tricks.

That's in large part why I hope they aren't planning on going a more action and linear oriented route. It's not what I want to see from CDPR for the next 15 years. I sure as hell hope the plan is to bring their expertise of RPGs into UE

But it also made no sense at all that dialogue would be unavailable to you as a paragon or renegade. It's a measure of your moral alignment and the choices were representations of that - morality (not very deep, we can agree on that I'm certain). It made far more sense that someone wanting to be a renegade could choose renegade dialogue options regardless of having that one last point in intimidation.
If the dialogue was unavailable, it's because YOU chose to put this "lacking perk point" somewhere else to increase another skill (in biotic for example). So in my opinion, it make sense that it up to player to choose how "to build" their character with a limited amount of perk points. By removing it, why not activate the "auto-leveling" :)
As a side note - je n'avais jamais vue la traduction française de ME et je dois dire que c'est vraiment une très mauvaise traduction. Spécialement considérant que les mots renégat et paragon existe en français aussi et ont la même définition. Je m'attendais a mieux d'une compagnie Canadienne.
If it was only the text... The french version in ME1 was the worst ever :D

Anyway, Outer Worlds prove that it possible to make "relatively deep RPGs" with Unreal Engine, so I'm quite confident that CDPR can achieve it without any problem :)

If the dialogue was unavailable, it's because YOU chose to put this "lacking perk point" somewhere else to increase another skill (in biotic for example). So in my opinion, it make sense that it up to player to choose how "to build" their character with a limited amount of perk points. By removing it, why not activate the "auto-leveling" :)

That's not what I meant, maybe I wasn't clear. It made no sense because most of those choices had nothing to do with intimidation or charm. In fact, as I and @Witcheress_Jinx said, it makes far more sense to describe renegade as pragmatism. It's essentially what most of the renegade choices boil down to. It was more about your morality. Things like the few vs the many. Things a person can make choices about without any particular skills.

The few times you get to punch someone as a choice, sure, link those choices to intimidation. Not to alignment necessarily. It made very little sense.

If it was only the text... The french version in ME1 was the worst ever :D

I can only imagine. It's the first thing that went through my mind in fact - ''If they got something as basic as that wrong, how bad can it get?''. Despite being French, I can't imagine playing a game in French. What little experience I have with game translation has been similar to that lol.

That's not what I meant, maybe I wasn't clear. It made no sense because most of those choices had nothing to do with intimidation or charm. In fact, as I and @Witcheress_Jinx said, it makes far more sense to describe renegade as pragmatism. It's essentially what most of the renegade choices boil down to. It was more about your morality. Things like the few vs the many. Things a person can make choices about without any particular skills.

The few times you get to punch someone as a choice, sure, link those choices to intimidation. Not to alignment necessarily. It made very little sense.

I can only imagine. It's the first thing that went through my mind in fact - ''If they got something as basic as that wrong, how bad can it get?''. Despite being French, I can't imagine playing a game in French. What little experience I have with game translation has been similar to that lol.
My country translated Paragon and Renegade as "Virtue" and "Rebellion", which is an awful and quite misleading translation :coolstory:, one of the reasons why I watch/read all my cinema/literature/games in English/the original language

Yep, it was very shallow, but it had a "flavor" of RPG (for me at least) :)
(the loot too... Garrus in pink armor, it's just too good^^)
Let say that you have a perk point available, you chose put it in armor to be able to wear heavy armor (finally). But then you encounter a dialogue with alignement options (which could have an impact), unfortunately, you can't chose it because you miss one point in intimidate/charme.
Unlike in ME2/3, you can almost max-out everything.
For example (on spoiler).
When it's possible to reconciliate quarians and geths, if you have at min 80% of reputation filled (Paragon/Renegade), it's fine, which is very easy (ok with some other little requirements^^)

It had sense a little bit like in Outer Worlds if you always avoid to invest in persuation/lie/intimidation because you want to be more efficient with weapons, some dialogues options/quests outcome won't be available. Or like in a game with more "deep RPG elements", in KCD, by chosing one perk, you will lock the opposite one. Some quests will really change in function of you skills/perks.
:D
And I was damn surprised when some members said that Mass Effect have a better voice acting than CDPR games... what ?
And yes, in english, it's way, way better than in french... even if in ME2 and ME3, it's not that bad. But it still at light years from CDPR, in french at least :)

I won't count Mass Effect in this list, as they were originally written in Frostbite. Although, I must acknowledge that the remakes were done in Unreal...so there's proof of the fact that Unreal can, in fact, pull off the rendering for complex RPG systems. (I'll come back to this just a moment...)

The entire original Mass Effect trilogy was created on Unreal Engine 3. So was the later Legendary edition. And there were no problems with it. Frostbite was used only in Andromeda and it caused gigantic problems in production. What's more, in the production of Mass Effect "5" devs returned to the source and the game will be built on Unreal.

Yup! This is what I reference above, but I don't think that was really the selling point. Something about it was what the devs were looking for, obviously. But I don't see it "replacing" REDengine...

This is a huge plus, because it removes one of the biggest drawbacks of the Red Engine, which caused problems due to the fact that it was created simultaneously with the game development process, resulting in numerous technical issues and forcing developers to work on unfinished, unstable tools, and all this in the context of too few employees dedicated to the development of such a powerful and complex tool.

Now the entire technical side is handled by Epic.

As for the advantages of the engine, one of the biggest yet unmentioned is the increase in ease of recruitment, because virtually everyone in the industry knows the UE, so there is no need to learn a new engine and tools, so the potential employee can almost immediately get into production, which incredibly simplifies the whole process for all interested parties.

...unless (coming back to the point above), the plan is to somehow build a lot of the REDengine functionality into Unreal at a core level. The only issue is: REDengine works. We've seen it work. Why start over? For a few extra pixels per texture? If that's their actual plan, there's obviously something we don't know about the future of Unreal. It would still boggle my mind if they just dumped REDengine, though.

Unreal works, too. It works, minus all the technical development hurdles of RE.

And as above, the fact that you can create beautiful graphics on UE5 certainly does not hurt, but it's definitely not a very important selling point, because with the right artists (which CDPR does not lack) beautiful graphics can be created on virtually any modern engine including Red Engine.

That's a lot different than saying, "...the sequel to the acclaimed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt" or "The Witcher 4: An Ofir He Can't Refuse". Perhaps they simply intend to design this saga to be more action-oriented and focus on the storytelling instead of RPG aspects.

The title, "a new saga," was used to not give away details of the game. We don't know if it's a sequel, prequel, sidequel, etc.

On top of that, there is absolutely no evidence that the new game would be simplified from its predecessors. Knowing the Reds' approach and looking at their history, it is much more likely that the next Witcher will be studio's most complex and ambitious project. Reds are not used to stepping back in their ambitions in their flagship series.

And definitely Unreal is not a harbinger of such changes, because, as it has been proved many times above, there is no shortage of complicated games (even MMOs, which are probably the only genre that is more complicated than rpgs, while still presenting an attractive visual layer) created on this engine. And again, despite the fact that such games on this engine reguarally are created, there are practically no publicly known bts stories where AAA developers had to fight with technology. This ease of creation and technical support, these are the engine's greatest strengths.

I wasn't aware it was for 15 years -- where'd you find that?
The page I posted the link to in my original post was in Polish, but it contained an English translation of the statement to shareholders.

Last edited:
As @GrimReaper801 pointed, is not a quote for the sake quoting but is a conversation in a turn-based text engine with people in different timezones(a.k.a sorry for the gaps in responses and long quotations):
Not off topic at all this time! :p RPG gameplay functionality means:
  • Complex skill trees of both active and passive abilities
  • Specifically designed weapons and armor with wide ranges of modular augmentations (status effects, specific resistances, secondary abilities, etc.)
  • Dialogue options directly affected by skills and abilities
  • Layered, interconnecting quests and storylines that can be altered by player actions
  • Leveling system that directly impacts progression, options, regions, enemy types, etc.
  • Multi-faceted combat system allowing for various approaches in execution and coinciding results
  • Quest-specific items or NPCs that are tracked and identified separately from non-essential items
^ And ALL of that being pretty free to mix and match at any moment, meaning the game has to know about everything, track everything, recognize when anything is active/inactive, then make every other part of the game react accordingly.
I can think of examples were cp2077 fails at one or more of this items and also The Outer Worlds. But the point is, that most of this functionality is not even what i would consider "the core" of an engine but a side module running in parallel with what makes engines expensive:graphics,physics...in old days,adding that module (or npc AI algorithms) to an existing engine was probably as difficult as writing the whole engine, but now the commercial ones are build with modularity in mind:you don't like my audio module?buy a 3rd party one or write your own. REDengine is build that way also, is using middleware for some of the game functionality.
I'm pretty sure,that CDPR evaluated UE capabilities, checked what they had custom and asked Epic "dudes, we want to be able to use this,this and this is it possible?" and Epic said "sure". Then the deal was just: how much we save in not rewriting our graphics,physics etc modules each time?

I can think of examples were cp2077 fails at one or more of this items and also The Outer Worlds. But the point is, that most of this functionality is not even what i would consider "the core" of an engine but a side module running in parallel with what makes engines expensive:graphics,physics...in old days,adding that module (or npc AI algorithms) to an existing engine was probably as difficult as writing the whole engine, but now the commercial ones are build with modularity in mind:you don't like my audio module?buy a 3rd party one or write your own. REDengine is build that way also, is using middleware for some of the game functionality.
I'm pretty sure,that CDPR evaluated UE capabilities, checked what they had custom and asked Epic "dudes, we want to be able to use this,this and this is it possible?" and Epic said "sure". Then the deal was just: how much we save in not rewriting our graphics,physics etc modules each time?
agree with Dida here, these things are generally modular, it would make sense to take advantage of crouton tech or was it futon I forget which UE5 has and then use the bits red engine does better. IMO this will add to red engine (and ue5) and not just replace it

agree with Dida here, these things are generally modular, it would make sense to take advantage of crouton tech or was it futon I forget which UE5 has and then use the bits red engine does better. IMO this will add to red engine (and ue5) and not just replace it
While i agree that UE5 is pretty modular and you can bolt on middleware i dont think its as easy as just convert the existing module from REDengine. I dont know how similar the pipelines are and even the language its writen in. It will probably req some rewrite too make it run good.

The adding of parallel running modules can also have a pretty high hit on performance... That said Nanite and so on are pretty sweet tech in UE5 that could have made Nightcity look even more awsome, so its kinda sad in a way they dident swap engines before it got too far into development ^^ Hopefully we get proper support for NVME and so on too trough directstorage and the likes too.

Even tho Red Engine is the best IMO... better Unreal Engine than Frostbite (ME in Unreal looked way better than MEA in FB)

The entire original Mass Effect trilogy was created on Unreal Engine 3. So was the later Legendary edition. And there were no problems with it. Frostbite was used only in Andromeda and it caused gigantic problems in production. What's more, in the production of Mass Effect "5" devs returned to the source and the game will be built on Unreal.
Ah -- so they were. I had that backwards. I thought it was Frostbite first, then ME:A was in Unreal. I know I read a big dev article on how Dragon Age Inquisition was Frostbite, and the team was seemingly doing it's darnedest to talk positively. But you could basically hear: 'Nothing about this engine worked. Everything was a nightmare. We had to work around its limitations constantly.' I had read a lot of the same stuff when they interviewed Jake Solomon (I think...) about the experience of building XCOM:EW in Unreal, and it was the same story: 'Lots of unexpected challenges. The engine wasn't made for this. It was stapling a lot of mechanics to an engine that just wanted to make things look pretty.' Now, I wonder if the widespread success of games like XCOM and Mass Effect is what spurred Epic into really focusing on making the overall engine more robust.

Most of what I understand of Unreal comes from the horse's mouth. I live in Raleigh, NC. I used to teach literally down the road from Epic's national headquarters, and I chummed around with several of their devs over time. They, themselves, would say that Unreal was built to make graphical performance absolutely top-notch. They wanted studios to be able to just plug whatever 3D assets into it and have things work perfectly and look amazing with minimal effort. The offset for that was that coding in Unreal could be a lot more restrictive and difficult than other engines, as it didn't want to let anything take precedence over graphical performance by design. (Heh...anecdote...these were the guys that used the "sportscar" analogy to describe it, which is where I got that. They said, Unreal is like a Ferrari. It's got one of the fastest engines, it handles like a dream, but the inside is really down to basics, there's only two seats, and there's virtually no trunk space. That's why it's so fast.)

Now, all of the discussion we had was understandably limited. They were coders: they really didn't want to talk about work on their time off. I get that. But this was only back in 2014. If Unreal has truly expanded itself to the point that it's able to compete in the functionality department with engines like Unity, Larian's D:OS engine, or REDengine...that's gotta be a recent development.

Or -- it's in development. Like, right now. With CDPR. This, I can sort of understand. Sort of.

This is a huge plus, because it removes one of the biggest drawbacks of the Red Engine, which caused problems due to the fact that it was created simultaneously with the game development process, resulting in numerous technical issues and forcing developers to work on unfinished, unstable tools, and all this in the context of too few employees dedicated to the development of such a powerful and complex tool.

Now the entire technical side is handled by Epic.

As for the advantages of the engine, one of the biggest yet unmentioned is the increase in ease of recruitment, because virtually everyone in the industry knows the UE, so there is no need to learn a new engine and tools, so the potential employee can almost immediately get into production, which incredibly simplifies the whole process for all interested parties.
Fair. I get that. I, personally, would never want anything to do with writing an engine. I also get that by basically out-sourcing the technical end of things to a completely different studio, it frees up CDPR itself to focus entirely on content. That's definitely awesomes.

But...

What about independence? What about being a self-reliant and self-sustaining studio? Granted, I have no issues with partnerships! Where my concern lies is in accomplishing something like REDengine...then just locking it away in a closet somewhere. I think my choice here would have been less sweeping. I would have considered a project to test out Unreal. Something smaller. See how it goes. In the meantime, I would have utilized REDengine for a more substantial project -- this time working within the confines of the engine as it exists. Work could still be done on it, but more focused on bug-fixing and polishing than building in new features. Perhaps use this as an opportunity to introduce an in-house IP. A completely new universe. I would certainly never set aside my own engine.

Unreal works, too. It works, minus all the technical development hurdles of RE.

And as above, the fact that you can create beautiful graphics on UE5 certainly does not hurt, but it's definitely not a very important selling point, because with the right artists (which CDPR does not lack) beautiful graphics can be created on virtually any modern engine including Red Engine.
But Unreal will hit those hurdles as well. I wish them all the best, but I think that Epic may be in for a ride when they see what CDPR actually wants to do (if their past titles are anything to go on.)
:cool:

The title, "a new saga," was used to not give away details of the game. We don't know if it's a sequel, prequel, sidequel, etc.

On top of that, there is absolutely no evidence that the new game would be simplified from its predecessors. Knowing the Reds' approach and looking at their history, it is much more likely that the next Witcher will be studio's most complex and ambitious project. Reds are not used to stepping back in their ambitions in their flagship series.

And definitely Unreal is not a harbinger of such changes, because, as it has been proved many times above, there is no shortage of complicated games (even MMOs, which are probably the only genre that is more complicated than rpgs, while still presenting an attractive visual layer) created on this engine. And again, despite the fact that such games on this engine reguarally are created, there are practically no publicly known bts stories where AAA developers had to fight with technology. This ease of creation and technical support, these are the engine's greatest strengths.
Exactly. My point in identifying this is to clarify that people are assuming it's "The Witcher 4". It could be something very different.

The page I posted the link to in my original post was in Polish, but it contained an English translation of the statement to shareholders.
Yeah -- someone linked to the English above. I looked at yours and figured it had to be something like that; I even looked for a "translate" button. If only I had scrolled down a little bit more... :p

An approach like this is becoming more and more viable as technology becomes more powerful, but more moving parts means more than can go wrong. Every connection I add to the hub is a line that can be tripped over or cut. This type of thing is more the way modding works -- where people are forced to duct-tape things to an existing engine using utilities like plugin files or script extenders. (Yes, this would be somewhat different if working at the engine level itself, but it's still essentially the same idea.)

The trouble with this type of approach is -- it costs performance. I need to run a "master" function first -- have that function hooked, interrupted, and/or overridden -- then introduce the additional/overriding function on top of that. This adds up FAST when you're talking about millions of functions per second.

The best bet is always to write an engine to do exactly what you want it to do at the core level. Harder work, but a cleaner, more efficient final product.

Where my concern lies is in accomplishing something like REDengine...then just locking it away in a closet somewhere. I think my choice here would have been less sweeping. I would have considered a project to test out Unreal. Something smaller. See how it goes. In the meantime, I would have utilized REDengine for a more substantial project -- this time working within the confines of the engine as it exists. Work could still be done on it, but more focused on bug-fixing and polishing than building in new features. Perhaps use this as an opportunity to introduce an in-house IP. A completely new universe. I would certainly never set aside my own engine.

The decision to change the engine that powers the studio's largest, most ambitious and most complex productions and to be tied to this technology for fifteen years is incredibly serious. I think it can be safely assumed that it was taken after a long exhaustive technical and financial analysis. As a result of this analysis, the decision was made to choose UE5, despite having its own engine at hand.

It wasn't something along the lines of, let's complicate our lives even more and spontaneously make the next big Witcher on a new engine.

Changing the engine has nothing to do with limiting independence, in fact it's an expression of that independence.

The decision to change the engine that powers the studio's largest, most ambitious and most complex productions and to be tied to this technology for fifteen years is incredibly serious. I think it can be safely assumed that it was taken after a long exhaustive technical and financial analysis. As a result of this analysis, the decision was made to choose UE5, despite having its own engine at hand.

It wasn't something along the lines of, let's complicate our lives even more and spontaneously make the next big Witcher on a new engine.

Changing the engine has nothing to do with limiting independence, in fact it's an expression of that independence.
Obviously so. But I'm not sure about the final decision to go full-bore with UE5 before even knowing how it will all work in process. Quite literally, that's the sort of massive ambition, the "running before walking", that directly created the issues with TW3 and CP2077. It's not a guarantee that things will work out poorly, but taking on another ambitious title...while utilizing yet another engine that's still "in process"...and now directly relying on a team that's not even part of CDPR for core functionality...there's even more that can go awry.

I love the ambition and the forward thinking. I think the pace is showing that they're still biting off an awfully, awfully big chunk. And now, a huge part of the success or failure of the next installment doesn't even lie with the studio -- there is no guarantee that both parties will be able to live up to the terms of the contract or be able to work fluently within it.

I think a smaller title would have been much wiser for a first venture.

As for the independence statement, what I mean is: the next title will not be brought to you by CDPR. It will be, "CD Projekt RED and Epic Games presents..."

Red Engine? More like Dead engine... Ha... haha.

Get it? Because they are going to use Unreal Engine now and not Red Engine... and they aren't going to open source it? So it is dead... red and dead rhyme so...

Dead Engine.

And the award for Excellence in Punning goes to...
Red Engine? More like Dead engine... Ha... haha.

Get it? Because they are going to use Unreal Engine now and not Red Engine... and they aren't going to open source it? So it is dead... red and dead rhyme so...

Dead Engine.
Here. Have this bunny.
1653074967574.png

In a new spin of the law of conservation of code CDPR licenses REDengine to Bioware where a veteran game developer notice a bug in the 0.0001% of code that survived from Aurora and reopens his Jira ticket that was closed 15 years ago rising it to high priority to the dismay of the last surviving member of the original Bioware engine team who never managed to fix it.

PS:fiction based on a microwave circuits simulator,that in startup prints on screen the comercial name of a company that was acquired in 1993 and parts of the code survived 4 spin-offs from the parent company-and two decades of changes of algorithms and operating systems-...

Top Bottom