The game is epic - but it has a MAJOR flaw.

+
The game is epic - but it has a MAJOR flaw.

I just had to vent. I've played both Witcher 1-2 casually (maybe 1-2 hours each game) because they really didn't draw me in as much as The Witcher 3 has. Essentially, I was one of those guys who had to google what choices to choose (eg: Vernon Roche, or that Scoia'tel elf) when I was first being questioned.

That said:

Triss came first. She was cute. I didn't confess my love to her but I thought she was interesting. My dialogue choices ended up with me sleeping with her, but I kept it 'open' - I wasn't sure she was the romance option I wanted.

Then came Yen. I actually really liked this girls personality - djinn or not. I told her I loved her, i had made my choice.

For someone who has never played the entire series, I think a 'final choice' (a la Mass Effect when they ask if you want A, B or both) would have been prudent. Maybe the "three to tango" quest should start if you picked 'both'. I understand that this promotes monogamy, which I agree with IRL - but as a single person without prior dealings with both characters - would you not have at least tried to experience both before making your final choice?

I'm quite angry. To have spent 100 hours of my time progressing through the game while subconsciously deciding on which romance I eventually decided on - to finally have made that choice waiting for the penultimate moment to choose between the two....

[spoiler follows]

Then I get dumped by both - without an option to even explain to either that I preferred one over the other.

Romance is one of the key elements that draws gamers in. I'd take 3 seconds to decide if I had to kill X or Y at the end of a sidequest - but to choose between two 'main' characters as a love interest is a very personal choice.

Great game, but they dropped the ball on this one for those who've never played the entire series.

Not sure I want to finish it now.

Eso

Last edited by a moderator:
Choices and consequences man. x)

I found it pretty cool imo when I found out while watching youtube videos after having finished the game that this could happen if you decide to "romance" both of them, this would 100% happen since you should not forget Yen and Triss are very close friends and Yen is not at all a fan of Geralt and Triss having slept together several months before, so... Imagine her figuring out Geralt also fucked her best friend only several days/weeks before.

Just my two cents but I really like that CDPR considered that you could not romance both without suffering consequences after, part of the game to make you feel bad when you make a bad decision.^^

You got punished for your choice, well deserved lol. You had plenty of time to choose.
Do you think marrying two women IRL would work?
Hell no.

Hi!

Here is the thing, it is intended that you cannot tell both girls that you love them. If you say you love someone and later tell someone else you love them, too, that will result in the "bad" ending.

However, after looking into this, I found that there was a situation in which you were not required to say those words to Triss ("I love you...") to lock you into this ending and that was not intended. There was apath through the conversation with Triss that did not check all relevant facts as intended.

Essentially, the ending you experienced should only happen if you told both Triss and Yennefer that you love them (explicitly so).

This bug will be fixed in an upcoming patch. After this fix, the "bad" ending will only happen if you eplicitly state your love for both ladies.

Many apologies for this.

Hi!

Here is the thing, it is intended that you cannot tell both girls that you love them. If you say you love someone and later tell someone else you love them, too, that will result in the "bad" ending.

However, after looking into this, I found that there was a situation in which you were not required to say those words to Triss ("I love you...") to lock you into this ending and that was not intended. There was apath through the conversation with Triss that did not check all relevant facts as intended.

Essentially, the ending you experienced should only happen if you told both Triss and Yennefer that you love them (explicitly so).

This bug will be fixed in an upcoming patch. After this fix, the "bad" ending will only happen if you eplicitly state your love for both ladies.

Many apologies for this.

Point of clarification please.

Is the patch going to make it so you can get the love scene without saying I love you and therefore can still romance Yen and say I love you and avoid the bad ending? or..

Is it going to make it that if you got the love scene with Triss but did not say I love you it will assume you did say i love you after patch thus giving the bad ending if you romance Yen, or...

is it going to make it so you can no longer get the Triss love scene if you do not say I love you?

Essentially, I would like to know what the outcome will be if you got the love scene with Triss but did not say I love you, am I free to romance Yen after the patch without getting the bad ending to the romances? Right now I am locked to Triss, will I still be locked to Triss after the patch?

I mean, your post could be read two ways. You could mean you are supposed to be able to see the love scene with Triss without saying I love you and still romance Yeneffer, or it could mean you were never supposed to be able to see the love scene with Triss without saying I love you.

Last edited:
Point of clarification please.

Is the patch going to make it so you can get the love scene without saying I love you and therefore can still romance Yen and say I love you and avoid the bad ending? or..

Is it going to make it that if you got the love scene with Triss but did not say I love you it will assume you did say i love you after patch thus giving the bad ending if you romance Yen, or...

is it going to make it so you can no longer get the Triss love scene if you do not say I love you?

Essentially, I would like to know what the outcome will be if you got the love scene with Triss but did not say I love you, am I free to romance Yen after the patch without getting the bad ending to the romances? Right now I am locked to Triss, will I still be locked to Triss after the patch?

I mean, your post could be read two ways. You could mean you are supposed to be able to see the love scene with Triss without saying I love you and still romance Yeneffer, or it could mean you were never supposed to be able to see the love scene with Triss without saying I love you.

Hi there!

The fix should make it so that if you mistakenly locked yourself in the Triss romance because of the bug, the fix will unlock this so that the bad ending will no longer apply to you. In any future playthroughs the proper dialog will be displayed and only saying those fateful words will get you to the romance scene with Triss.

And for clarification...
you will then not see the Romance scenes with Triss because this effectively ends your romantic involvement with her without Geralt's admitting his feelings for her, Triss is done chasing after Geralt (incidentally also why she takes it rather hard if you decide to go after Yen as well). And Yennefer is now the lady of choice (or none if that is your preference).

Hope that clears things up.

Hi there!

The fix should make it so that if you mistakenly locked yourself in the Triss romance because of the bug, the fix will unlock this so that the bad ending will no longer apply to you. In any future playthroughs the proper dialog will be displayed and only saying those fateful words will get you to the romance scene with Triss.

And for clarification...
you will then not see the Romance scenes with Triss because this effectively ends your romantic involvement with her without Geralt's admitting his feelings for her, Triss is done chasing after Geralt (incidentally also why she takes it rather hard if you decide to go after Yen as well). And Yennefer is now the lady of choice (or none if that is your preference).

Does the fix correct it even after the confrontation at Kingfisher?

Hi there!

And for clarification...

So you are only supposed to get the romance scene if you actually say I love you. Good, I did not do that, so if I wait until it gets patched I should be able to do Yen's romance and not get the bad ending. Perfect.

Any idea when the patch for this is coming to PS4 because I basically can't go much farther in the game until this is patched.

ahhh I see , I stumbled upon this myself .... Thought if I didnt say" I love you", instead saying "stay" it should be fine .... it still resulted in the love scene , so I reloaded and said "farewell" at the beginning of the conversation ....

Hmm, that is too bad. For some reason I thought I could only make Triss come to the fortress if I told her I loved her (her leaving to Kovir seemed fairly permanent), so I did (I knew there was a threesome scene but I thought I could decline, say I wanted to stay with one or the other), but I was planning on staying with Yen at the end.

Will the patch fix my current playthrough, preventing me from the "bad" ending, or will I have to start a new playthrough in order for the fix to take effect?

Thanks

Gingereffect already answered this in his reply to me above. It should fix your game, you should not have to replay anything.

Top Bottom