The game is set in 2077, but we can't shop online for clothes ?

+
Reminds me, Watch Dogs Legion, has some of the most interactive AI scripting I've seen compared to Cyberpunk.

Matter of fact Watch Dogs Legion has a much more believable environment for a cyberpunk universe in general, horridly dull story or not.

Game is set in 2077 but from a 1970s-80s perspective...
Most of the coolest Future Sci-Fi is like that.

Game is set in 2077 but from a 1970s-80s perspective...
Most of the coolest Future Sci-Fi is like that.

That's not exactly true. The OG CP2020 was that, but Cyberpunk RED (pure coincidence, nothing to do with CDPR) edition is a more modern take, which is what this game is more based on.

That's not exactly true. The OG CP2020 was that, but Cyberpunk RED (pure coincidence, nothing to do with CDPR) edition is a more modern take, which is what this game is more based on.

Well, look, let's be honest. Nobody knew back then, and all we had were the dice rolling RPG's then. Nothing is wrong with updating the IT to keep it fresh.

The retro aesthetic for me is the setting itself, not the restrictions of the lack of knowledge of the time period it was originally written.

I could care less about ordering anything online in the game... why can I not go to a store and place an order for clothing that is "out of stock"? Order something that's out of stock, pay a small percentage extra for the item and get a message a few days/week later from the store stating I can pick up my order...

I could care less about ordering anything online in the game... why can I not go to a store and place an order for clothing that is "out of stock"? Order something that's out of stock, pay a small percentage extra for the item and get a message a few days/week later from the store stating I can pick up my order...

All I'm saying is, we can't even order online from our only, single apartment, from the old school PC in it. It's a bit silly.

it's explained in-game that the internet as you and i know it was taken down. now each "corp" has their own "internet" with it's own rules and regulations, which are independent of local/world regulations. so comparing it to what we experience now is a pretty pointless comparison. what surprises me however is the lack of advertisements. i think the approach futurama took when they visit the internet in the year 3000 is much more in line w/ what you'd expect from independently sanctioned internet providers.

Oh, you mean from the one that you can access local websites through?

I mean, let's think about it, you are literally plastered with advertisements, even your only limited single apartment, always wants you buying things, and you can't even buy from an old PC sitting at your desk, it's just goofy.
Post automatically merged:

it's explained in-game that the internet as you and i know it was taken down. now each "corp" has their own "internet" with it's own rules and regulations, which are independent of local/world regulations. so comparing it to what we experience now is a pretty pointless comparison. what surprises me however is the lack of advertisements. i think the approach futurama took when they visit the internet in the year 3000 is much more in line w/ what you'd expect from independently sanctioned internet providers.

Hmm, I guess I missed that, but it still doesn't at all explain why the websites are all functional, at all, and makes it even more goofy.

There's adverts everywhere, not sure how you aren't seeing that, but ok.

I mean, let's think about it, you are literally plastered with advertisements, even your only limited single apartment, always wants you buying things, and you can't even buy from an old PC sitting at your desk, it's just goofy.

Hmm, I guess I missed that, but it still doesn't at all explain why the websites are all functional, at all, and makes it even more goofy.

i'm seeing the signs and i've read the spam emails, still seems lighter than what i'd expect. especially considering how specific the adds i get today. even now in 2020 companies sell our "cookies" to the highest bidders, even with regulations that attempt to prevent it, i can only imagine what corps would do w/ no regulations on selling our personal information.

i'm guessing radio stations would be full of ads. bd's would have adds. stop lights would probably have adds. robots would be walking around spouting advertisements. cars would be driving around w/ adds projected on them. police would have different corpo sponsors, with matching uniforms. there'd be blimps and planes, and hover vehicles all vying for air space in order to tell us why their shoes are more comfortable than their competitors. etc etc i could go on but i think you get the point

You should be able to check shop inventory online, buy something, then go pick it up at a drop point. Remember those?

i'm seeing the signs and i've read the spam emails, still seems lighter than what i'd expect. especially considering how specific the adds i get today. even now in 2020 companies sell our "cookies" to the highest bidders, even with regulations that attempt to prevent it, i can only imagine what corps would do w/ no regulations on selling our personal information.

i'm guessing radio stations would be full of ads. bd's would have adds. stop lights would probably have adds. robots would be walking around spouting advertisements. cars would be driving around w/ adds projected on them. police would have different corpo sponsors, with matching uniforms. there'd be blimps and planes, and hover vehicles all vying for air space in order to tell us why their shoes are more comfortable than their competitors. etc etc i could go on but i think you get the point

Exactly, no one would send you spam to buy things if you couldn't actually, buy things through the web. Let alone with how much private info they have and hint in the spams I read on others PC's in game

Oh yeah, it's missing more substance for delivery of ads, if that's what you meant, for sure. Drones, only appearing through teleportation when fighting cops, or in rare scripted sections, that's silly, too..

Yeah, it just doesn't wash. Corporations exist to do one thing - make money. The idea that in 2020 or 2077 or whatever other 21st century dystopian (not post-apocalyptic) timefame that the corps wouldn't be flooding the markets with consumer goods is astoundingly dense. The internet doesn't exist because hippies like to read wikipedia, it exists because corporate entities recognized that it was an ideal channel for product marketing.

In Night City, everything is fashion, entertainment, breads and circuses. Think Qiang Tao is going to lose out on billions in profits on clothing simply because "everyone decided that we don't have an internet anymore"? Think sat communications will stop working? The consumer will just "put up" with it?

Communications translate to eddies. The idea that these corps would allow a global communications network to languish while there were billions (if not trillions) of eddies to be had is absurd.

Don't the dateshards explain there is pretty much no internet because it was destroyed and that caused all these issues? Just small nets controlled by various corps? The expereiment of the internet fundamentally failed. Maybe people who have only known the internet in their lives don't really understand. Think more the dark-web, or very early internet then what exists today.

You ever try to buy stuff or even find stuff on a corporate intranet in the real world as part of your job? Pretty janky, messed up search engines that are almost useless.

It makes sense to me.

Don't the dateshards explain there is pretty much no internet because it was destroyed and that caused all these issues? Just small nets controlled by various corps?

Yup.

Don't expect people to actually read anything. It's basically down to LAN.

Exactly, no one would send you spam to buy things if you couldn't actually, buy things through the web. Let alone with how much private info they have and hint in the spams I read on others PC's in game

Oh yeah, it's missing more substance for delivery of ads, if that's what you meant, for sure. Drones, only appearing through teleportation when fighting cops, or in rare scripted sections, that's silly, too..

yeah i'd expect drones would be flying aruond non-stop in an attempt to get people the things they've purchased through electronic platforms. i'd imagine every corporation creating "dark spots" where only their internet would be accessible. entire apartment complexes would only be able to purchase goods electronically from their own sites.

maybe there'd be public places that all corps have agreed they'd do nothing to obstruct phones or other mobile devices from accessing the sites they want.

I'd much rather prefer the concept of going to a dealership to buy cars in this game long before I'd ever consider buying anything online.

Not a fan of the dependency of doing everything through the phone or online to begin with so actually having physical spaces to visit on occasion is just fine with me.​

yeah i'd expect drones would be flying aruond non-stop in an attempt to get people the things they've purchased through electronic platforms. i'd imagine every corporation creating "dark spots" where only their internet would be accessible. entire apartment complexes would only be able to purchase goods electronically from their own sites.

maybe there'd be public places that all corps have agreed they'd do nothing to obstruct phones or other mobile devices from accessing the sites they want.

Exactly, those, small nets, merely would limit sales areas to wired PC's in corporate areas. So, the datashards are clearly missing some information.

Also, give us our advertising drones and intelligently script written drone ai.

Yup.

Don't expect people to actually read anything. It's basically down to LAN.

And I call bullshtein. it's an unrealistic scenario.

Moreover, with the megacorps having such a massive presence in NC, they would be flooding that LAN with consumer goods to milk the people for everything they were worth.

The "dark age of the internet" premise is a dumb premise.

Top Bottom