The game won't launch!

+
The game won't launch!

Bought the game yesterday through Steam, finished installing today.

I clicked play, and after installing a few first launch programs, it just did nothing. I restarted my PC thinking the programmes might need it to be done, so afterwards I tried again, this time the launcher appeared but when I pressed 'play' the little Wolf picture popped up, but behind it was a steam pop-up saying 'Could not start game (error code 51)'.

I installed the game as administrator, ran it as administrator - nothing. When I try to open it from its files instead of steam it pops up saying 'Application load error 3:00000065432'.

I don't have any Anti-virus installed and I have the most recent versions of netfix and C++.

Can anyone help me?

system specs:
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
Intel i5-2500k @4.6ghz
EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD (SATA3)
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

You can try this solution:

Try unistall completly the game and remove the related registry keys. Or you can save your time without reinstalling, launching this app here wpc.4d7d.edgecastcdn.net/004D7D/files/Tools/Registry_Check_DD.exe .
This exe should add the missing reg entries.

If you decide to reinstall, be sure to remove any trace of the games from the HDD and both run steam and install the game with admin rights.

Have you tried also contacting steam tech support?

Ive completely uninstalled it, but how would I go about deleting registry keys?

I ran that programme prior to uninstalling and it didnt do any good.

I've contacted Steam support, but had no reply as of yet.

You cannot, to my knowledge, install a game as administrator through steam, you can only run steam as an admin. There doesn't seem to be any way of doing so, and have not managed to find anything online to tell me otherwise.

Gallarian said:
Ive completely uninstalled it, but how would I go about deleting registry keys?
run that little app I've linked. Otherwise, there is CCleaner to clean the registry. If you don't know how to do it yourself, better to use the latter.

I've contacted Steam support, but had no reply as of yet.
Well yes, they take their time.

You cannot, to my knowledge, install a game as administrator through steam, you can only run steam as an admin. There doesn't seem to be any way of doing so, and have not managed to find anything online to tell me otherwise.
This is what I meant. Run steam as admin and install the game as admin. Do both :)

So you can install the game as admin through steam? Can you tell me how cos I have found no method of doing it

Reinstalled - still not working. Ran as admin, still not.

I've validated the game cache, used the registry programme, everything, and still it wont work.

No other game has ever done this, it would seem like I've just wasted £30.

Gallarian said:
Reinstalled - still not working. Ran as admin, still not.

I've validated the game cache, used the registry programme, everything, and still it wont work.

No other game has ever done this, it would seem like I've just wasted £30.
Yes but I'm just a voluntary moderator here, not one of the developers :)

You mean that after reinstalling, still the game doesn't launch?

Okay, I've just experienced this with my steam games (not TW2 luckly): Steam update basically prevents me to play and launch that game, because the updater hangs in the background. I've solved this disabling Steam cloud process from Steam settings. When you are into your Steam library, just right click on a game, select properties and disable steam cloud sync from the Updates tab.
Or just disable any steam updates from the game.

Is your My Documents folder in its default location? SSD users often put it somewhere else to save some space and reduce read/write for the SSD. I think it may cause trouble with TW2.

You could also try to turn your CPU, GPU and RAM down to stock clocks.

My documents is in its default place on my C drive (on my SSD) but the steam folder which contains the games files is on my storage HDD.

Could this be why?

(all my hardware has been professionally OC'd, I had nothing to do with it, nor would I dare change any of it, Id rather not play then risk it!)

Gallarian said:
My documents is in its default place on my C drive (on my SSD) but the steam folder which contains the games files is on my storage HDD.

Could this be why?

(all my hardware has been professionally OC'd, I had nothing to do with it, nor would I dare change any of it, Id rather not play then risk it!)

I don't know much about the behaviour of the Steam version of TW2, but I can't imagine the location of your Steam folder having anything to do with it. We'd have a lot more complaints if that was the case.

OK, if the OC was done professionally, I won't recommend messing with it. It's no use threatening that expensive hardware for a single game. :)

Try running the configurator.exe from the \witcher 2\bin\ folder and set all the graphic settings to the very minimum including resolution. Then try running the game again.

And put all the settings in the Nvidia control panel to Application controlled. Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, VSync, SSAO, etc.

Ill give it all ago and get back to you ASAP - my next post will be tomorrow at some point, Ive gotta run now - so check back tomorrow and Ill let you know how it went!

You might have a look here http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26411-additional-fixes-for-21-issues-and-142-error-or-witcher-2-stopped-working/ . But with the As Rock Z68 motherboard you probably have the virtu drivers installed from LucidLogix . Below is an excerpt from the thread

Q : Do i have to uninstall Lucid products like Virtu , LucidLogix , or HydraLogix ?
A : No . You can simply rename a single file namely this one appinit_dll.dll before playing Witcher 2 and after you`re done with Witcher 2 then rename it back to what it was originally with full functionality to the program(s) restored . But if you do not use these programs and have no intention to then it can be uninstalled with no side effects to your computer or games .

@Aeden - did everything you said, but it still doesnt work!

@*Tommy* - I dont have Virtu installed

Im literally out of options here, I've done everything anyone has said to do and it still won't work.

when validating the games cache on Steam, it says '1 file failed to validate, it will be reacquired' but nothing donwloads.

Could this be whats stopping me from launching?

I'm at my wits' end for now, too.

Contact CDPR's support team (Hit 'Contact Us' at the very bottom of this page). Make sure to mention all the things you've tried and maybe link to this thread. I hope they can help you. Check back here to see if anyone has come up with anything more.

No i don`t think that`s what`s stopping the game from launching . Generally the file in question is 688 bytes .

In the mean time while your waiting . If you want take a screenshot or list all your installed programs and email to me and i`ll be more than glad to take a look .

Update: The problem is happening with Skyrim that I just bought.. this is the post I've put on their forums that I think contains updates for you guys - please read it and leave a comment:

----------------------------------------------------

The Problem:

When I press 'play' I get a pop-up saying 'Steam error - The game failed to launch (error code 51)'

When trying to open from the game files I get the error message 'Steam error - Application load error - 3:00000065432'

This is a list of all the things I've tried:

Reinstalling
Renaming 'steamapps' folder and reinstalling
Running as admin
Running in offline mode
Disabling cloud
Verifying game cache
Defragmenting game cache
Reinstalling steam
Uninstalling brower toolbars
running a registry check
Reinstalling .NET 4
Reinstalling C++ 2010
turning all graphic options down to minimum before launching
Heres the absolute killer though..

I've wiped my entire harddrive, deleted its partitions and did a clean install of windows 7 64bit - and once I was operational, I ONLY installed NVIDIA graphics car drivers (295.51)and Steam, then downloaded Skyrim - but still the same issue occurs.

'My documents' folder is in its default place.

Additional information:

Specs:
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3
intel i5-2500k @4.6ghz
EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB
8GB (4x2GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM
750w Corsair TX PSU
120GB Corsair Force 3 SATA3 SSD
500GB Hitatchi Deskstar
Windows 7 64bit
23" HP LED Monitor @ 1920x1080

Things I DONT have on my PC:
any anti-virus programs
any toolbars
Lucid Virtu program installed
IOBit/gamebooster installed
Nvidia network/firewall manager

yeah thats right... I WIPED EVERYTHING ON MY SSD - disconnected my HDD - and clean installed windows 7, installed my GPU drivers and Steam AND THATS IT, but still nothing.. HELP ME!!

I figure you`ve seen this already but i`ll post it just in case you haven`t
http://www.hiddenpath.com/forum/showthread.php?376-Error-51-on-Steam-solution .
Did you disable the UAC before installing Steam and the Games ?

Top Bottom