The General Videogame Thread

+
While a bit long, he hit the nail on the head with most of what he said. A proper review of a year that's been all over the place when it comes to videogames. Hope more "award" shows would learn a thing or two from this. A couple of guys, one of which is recovering from colon cancer, did a way better job than that VGA nonsense from earlier this month.

Have to say that "The game that most needs to see the light of Gaben" part of the awards was my favorite. :p

Last edited:
Yes, Gaben's holy light must shine upon them all! :lol:

(Most of them don't look all that good, but that's probably just my personal taste)

GameSpot has a nice series of articles about which gaming year was the best - 1993, 1996, 1998, 2004 or 2007.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-2007-was-the-best-year-in-gaming/1100-6424367/

What do you think?

1992 without a doubt:
Dune II created the modern RTS.
Wolfenstein 3d, not the first 3d first person engine, but the most widely recieved one, that spawned the FPS genre.
Alone in the Dark, first survival horror.
Ultima VII still the best RPG ever released, and the pinnacle of the genre.
Star Control II, arguably one of the finest space operas ever released, famously plagiarised by a certain group of Canadians.
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, first 3d first person RPG and an engine that shames modern ones.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Lucasarts zenith.
Mortal Kombat, poor spelling had a champion. Moral outrage ensued.

Any ARMA II owners here? I'm having a problem with the steam version: Every time I try to launch ARMA II I get this message:

View attachment 8974

I'm trying to get the Army of The Czech Republic DLC working but I keep getting this! I have the base game installed along with all the expansions and I don't understand why this is happening. Anyone here who can help me? I'm tearing my hair out at this! :angry:

---------- Updated at 03:13 AM ----------

Scratch that I just needed to verify my game cache. It's always the thing you'd never think of isn't it?

Attachments

• ARMAIIBUG.jpg
    ARMAIIBUG.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 54
I've been playing the new Wolfenstein. I really like it so far. What's odd is that I bought it on Amazon during this sale for $20 and it gave me the pre-order version. So I got those Genuine TF2 pre-order items and probably the DOOM 4 beta when it comes out. Playing it on I am Death Incarnate and I've died quite a few times. Your health doesn't regen except for a tiny bit, you have no weapon limit, you can dual wield most guns, there are secrets, you can stealth or go full rambo. There is a perk system, but it's nothing terrible. Hipfire is very accurate and that's what I've used 99% of my time. You can slide across the ground and shoot too which comes in handy. Game has a lot of gore too.

I can't wait to see what MachineGames makes next. I know they're made up of former Starbreeze members and worked on the Riddick games. Maybe they'll help on the new DOOM.

Best year? Hmmm, that's a tough one. It's either 1993 for Doom, 2004 for WoW or 2007 for the start of AAA games as we know them today.

I've been playing the new Wolfenstein. I really like it so far. What's odd is that I bought it on Amazon during this sale for $20 and it gave me the pre-order version. So I got those Genuine TF2 pre-order items and probably the DOOM 4 beta when it comes out. Playing it on I am Death Incarnate and I've died quite a few times. Your health doesn't regen except for a tiny bit, you have no weapon limit, you can dual wield most guns, there are secrets, you can stealth or go full rambo. There is a perk system, but it's nothing terrible. Hipfire is very accurate and that's what I've used 99% of my time. You can slide across the ground and shoot too which comes in handy. Game has a lot of gore too.

I can't wait to see what MachineGames makes next. I know they're made up of former Starbreeze members and worked on the Riddick games. Maybe they'll help on the new DOOM.

The new Doom is entirely made by Id Software with rumors that MP is being made by a different team. After many blunders during development It seems they have finally found out what gives Doom its unique feel, at least according to Quakecon attendees. Here's what a guy from the Doom community had to say http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-4-general/69416-doom-4-reveal-first-impressions/ You will be able to carry all weapons, run very very fast, have double jump, fatalities like in Brutal Doom (not sure how I feel about this), no regenerating health, not even reloading.

I'm very excited about it, I really hope it's as good as they say.

Also, while The New Order is my shooter of the year, I felt that it wasn't quite as old school as they made it up to be. I'd say its about 30% old schoold and the rest new school. Don't get fooled by the health packs either, while it has the old health system, it's just a very cleverly disguised regenerating system because health is everywhere, there are even 80% health packs, so the player is never really punished for his mistakes. Still, the guns are near perfection even though there could have been an extra one or two...like a flamethrower. I hope Doom 4 continues the trend.

Last edited:
OMG, I just found something new in Civ V. I don't think I've even seen a walkthrough on this one.
Aggressive Cultural Victory with Assyria (Brave New World).
Continents map.
- Destroy every other civ in your continent. Completely destroy them, you don't want any refugees left to spread the word.
- Raze everything except the capitals or cities with wonders, and don't rebuild. This causes the game to keep spawning barbarians, which you can farm for culture points. Only destroy camps when City-States beg you, you're effectively running a protection racket., every CS in the continent will soon be your ally, and it won't cost you anything. And a new camp will appear ten rounds later.
- Once you've wiped out your neighbours, go exploring. Every remaining Civ will happily be your friend, exchange luxuries, and open up their borders to you, because they don't know what an evil bastard you were.
- If any other civ has the temerity to think they can settle in your not-quite-a-virgin-there-used-to-be-a-city-there territory, destroy them, then go to their home country and take out their capital, just to discourage any further attempts.

There were three civs left out of an initial eight when it ended. Assur - tourist capital of the world.

So since Christmas game sales (Steam, GMG, GOG et cetera) are now over, what did you guys/gals buy/receive?

I didn't buy that many, simply because I'm saving money for a new monitor and I already have enough games on my backlog. But did buy the following games:

GOG:
The Witcher 3 (preorder)
Deus Ex 1

Steam:
One Finger Death Punch
Divinity: Original Sin
Alan Wake franchise
Brothers A Tale of Two Sons
Cloudbuilt

Uplay:
Far Cry 4 (Nvidia PYP)

Last edited:
So I got my hands on Endless Legend about an hour before the sale ended! It's a fantasy 4X game made by the same guys who made Endless Space, which I also bought for a fiver! Damn I'm lucky! :)

Top Bottom