The General Videogame Thread

+

That's...simply......genius :surprised:

Last edited:
Looks like CDPR are not the only ones offering free content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8OZjNxgMA
Sorry, but I have to call BS on this. There has been a tons of free content added to Diablo 3 since the expansion came out. New levels, new game-modes, new features, etc. Granted, this is the first content they've added that has a story, but still. This is hardly inspired by The Witcher 3. And I know that for fact because they announced this content last year at Blizzcon.

Adding free content to games after launch isn't exactly uncommon nowadays. Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2, for example, have numerous and substantial free updates. Paradox Interactive's games and Age of Wonders 3 release free features alongside every new DLC. Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is planning on releasing quaterly free updates. Etc. In general, most indie and online games seem to have substantial free updates for their games after launch. The president of Paradox Interactive put it best when he said, "CD Projekt RED isn't doing anything super unique, they're just better at marketing it than everyone else!"

Last edited:
Speaking of Diablo, I've just started a playthrough of Diablo II as I can't find the original anywhere, so I thought the second one was the best place to start. I missed the games the first time as I didn't have a computer back then.

For such an old game, it's actually still pretty damn good and the atmosphere is great.

Attachments

• 9726460037513084928_2015-07-22_00004.jpg
    9726460037513084928_2015-07-22_00004.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 34
  • 9726460037513084928_2015-07-22_00006.jpg
    9726460037513084928_2015-07-22_00006.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 37
@Alan989

It's a great game with great atmosphere but it's a bit archaic. After playing D3, maually picking up gold is kind of a dealbreaker. I can't get back into it anymore.. Still looks really good, considering its age.

When Diablo 3 came out it was a complete disaster but Blizzard are commited to making this a good game and ever since Reaper of Souls came out, the game has been getting better and better. It's practically unrecognisable now. The atmosphere has received criticism and I partially agree. While it's not as dark as D1 and 2 it still has its fair share of moody levels (particularly in Act 3 and 5) and the art is truly amazing in the game. A bit WoW-ified but still great. Gameplay is great too. There are tons of weird and fun builds you can make for each class.

@octavian123 @Phinnway

I am actually surprised that I'm enjoying it so much. Sure it uses a lot of old mechanics that would be considered outdated by today's standards, but it's enjoyable and that's all that matters at the end of the day. Diablo III looks a bit too bright for me and yeah, it does look a bit like a Warcraft spin-off even though I know it's not. I just prefer Dark Fantasy that's actually dark! :lol:

I am playing Diablo III for the first time right now. During beta I watched some youtubers play it, but lost interest after launch due to the mostly bad feedback from guys who played it. I am actually quite fortunate that I have missed all the early stages of the game: the loot mostly drops stuff that is useful for my character, because of loot 2.0 and there is no evil real money auction house. Every so often I got spam from gold sellers, but I play private games so I rarely get bothered by anything. And of course no Error 37 for me, since the interest in the game isn't that high anymore.

@Alan989 if you are looking for something more dark and in the spirit of the old Diablo art style I would recommend Path of Exile for you. I quitted it, because the skill system was a wee bit to complex for me. But the atmosphere is more akin to Diablo II.

@Alan989 if you are looking for something more dark and in the spirit of the old Diablo art style I would recommend Path of Exile for you. I quitted it, because the skill system was a wee bit to complex for me. But the atmosphere is more akin to Diablo II.

I've heard quite a few good things about Path of Exile, but one game at a time. I'm also waiting for Grim Dawn to get out of Early Access as it looks very Diablo-like itself.

Diablo 3 is in a pretty good state now. But there is still work that needs to be done before it can be considered a truly "great" game.

Currently, there is an over-reliance on meta builds. Since Diablo 3 is a randomized loot game there really shouldn't be "meta" builds at all. It should be about making the best build you can with whatever the RNG gods deem to give you. Sadly, getting top teir gear doesn't take very long and once you do 95% of gear that drops is obsolete.
I think Blizzard is making progress on this though. They continue to impress me with their dedication to making the game perfect in patches. They consistently add new items and new armor sets and buff items that are unpopular. It's something that takes time because they need to test every new item they add, but they will get there.

Another thing they need to work on is flavor. There needs to be a sense of atmosphere or story that drives what you do at end-game. Right now it's all a grind. The Ruins of Sescheron are a step in the right direction, but I don't think Blizzard will be able to really address this until their next expansion.

Overall, Blizzard has made HUGE progress on Diablo 3 and it's becoming a better game all the time. With the next expansion, I believe we could have a game that rivals Diablo 2's legendary status in the annals of video-game history. It's just sad that it took two expansions to get there. I know Blizzard drop prices on their games over time, but people shouldn't have to pay $80 for a decent game.

While it's not as dark as D1 and 2 it still has its fair share of moody levels (particularly in Act 3 and 5) and the art is truly amazing in the game.
Yeah, I'm someone who really likes Diablo 3's atmosphere. I think people who sh*t on it are nuts! It may not be as dark as D2 but as video-games go it's still amazing!

Last edited:
History enthusiasts take note!

Paradox Interactive is teasing a new grand-strategy IP. They said it's their biggest new IP since Crusader Kings was introduced 11 years ago. It's called "Project Augustus" which immediately implies a Roman themed game. Looks like Paradox Interactive is finally making their forray into the Classical period! :) They're teasing new information every day on their forums leading up to the official announcement at Gamescom two weeks from now.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/augustus-teaser-1-23rd-of-july-2015.872437/

For those who aren't familiar with Paradox's grand-strategy titles, Paradox Interactive makes the most historically accurate strategy games you will ever play. They make Total War look like it's made by five year olds.

I bet this is how every Paradox Interactive fan is reacting to the news......
[video=youtube;_J6-3l3hCm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6-3l3hCm0[/video]

Last edited:
Paradox Interactive is teasing a new grand-strategy IP.

No IP will beat IPv6 :hai:

Seriously though, let's use term IP for Internet Protocol addresses, and not for gaming settings :)

---------- Updated at 02:47 AM ----------

Just finished Shadow Warrior (this time a proper Linux release).

The ending seems to be more correct now.

Camera goes back and forth and Lo Wang and Ameonna stay in the same place, not like before (with Ameonna lying on the ground when camera came back).

And they added credits for Edward Rudd and Aaron Melcher (for the Linux port). Hopefully the second game will come out for Linux at release time :)

No IP will beat IPv6 :hai:

Seriously though, let's use term IP for Internet Protocol addresses, and not for gaming settings :)

---------- Updated at 02:47 AM ----------

Just finished Shadow Warrior (this time a proper Linux release).

The ending seems to be more correct now.

Camera goes back and forth and Lo Wang and Ameonna stay in the same place, not like before (with Ameonna lying on the ground when camera came back).

And they added credits for Edward Rudd and Aaron Melcher (for the Linux port). Hopefully the second game will come out for Linux at release time :)

Didn't they add another boss fight in with Zilla?

Top Bottom