The General Videogame Thread

+
There's that other PoE thread (feel free to read my comment there :)), so for the sake of generality I will only say PoE is not for everyone. It builds up slowly, it has tons of rich lore that everyone assumes you know, and many things are resolved by thinking rather than acting. And this is exactly why it is so good! It wants you to study its lore and history, and to get to know the characters and their backgrounds. This takes time, so you can't just jump right in and slaughter enemies and be the hero. Well you can, but it won't make any sense. I personally love these games that demand dedication beyond clicking and reacting quickly. It's like mixing gameplay with a crash course on a new mythology. But not everyone wants this.

Last edited:
Now I almost want to try it, lol. I thought Obsidian's games had good writing.

"Dragonbird doesn't like it" is probably a good recommendation for a lot of classic-style RPGs :)
My tastes in RPGs do tend to be totally opposite to most in this forum, except for the Witcher series of course...

Bioshock Infinite is awesome and much better than the original Bioshock.
Planescape Torment is contrived, has far too much reading, and pushes you into making decisions to get the stats you want.
Baldur's Gate is too boring to play.
Ditto Baldur's Gate 2.
VTMB is OK, but given a choice between that and another replay of Torchlight, I'd go for the latter any time.

So yeah, probably go for it :)

---------- Updated at 01:18 PM ----------

This came up in my RSS feed - is it news, or has everyone been talking about it for weeks and I just missed it?
RDR coming out on PC.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168323-Red-Dead-Redemption-Remastered-Coming

Last edited:
"Dragonbird doesn't like it" is probably a good recommendation for a lot of classic-style RPGs :)
My tastes in RPGs do tend to be totally opposite to most in this forum, except for the Witcher series of course...

Let me try your opinion on some more titles or choice between titles :skepticalzoltan::

Fallout 1/2?

Fallout 3 or New Vegas... or even 4?

Arcanum?

KotOR 1 or 2?

@ topic: got me Titan Quest Anniversary Edition for 5€ at GoG :)
Beware, unholy hordes of ancient mythology!

Comparing action-games-with-skill-trees with actual computer (ie. "classic") RPG's is like comparing "The Expendables" with "Le Morte d'Arthur" :p

You know, I don't usually pre-order, but this might make me:

It's looking completely different from the older games, but it looks like a good change of pace.

Last edited:
Holy crap @Dragonbird! :D What kinds of games do you actually like, may I ask? :) I wouldn't count KOTORs out just because they are Star Wars if I were you. Try them out maybe?

@volsung nailed it...

action-games-with-skill-trees

Linear story-based action RPGs mainly. So yes, as far as RPGs are concerned, there's probably a strong negative correlation between me liking/disliking something and whether or not the majority of other forum members here would like it. Which makes my opinion very valuable. ;)

Doesn't apply to non-RPGs though. My recommendation of Civ is solid. And there have been some exceptions - DAO, The WItcher series and, if it happens, RDR may be the third.

Never heard of Red Dead Redemption before, but looking it up revealed that it was consoles only. That doesn't sound good already.

I can vouch for the quality of their GTA5 port, which also was native to console. A lot of effort went into it and honestly there are aspects that look better than TW3. RDR has the same design/ writing problems I find in other RS games, but it's very much offset by the open world, ambient gameplay. Here it is on Xbone, not remastered.

Of course there's no getting around their DRM.

Graphics are nice. Can't say anything else form that video. And yeah, that's owned by Take Two, so I doubt it will appear DRM-free. I'm still waiting for Bioshock Infinite, and it's nowhere in sight even though it was released for Linux.

I think it's amazing how The Witcher series appeals to such a diverse audience. Look at the music thread too, there's like death metal, pop and trance. What other game has ever done this?

Saying such a thing about Arcanum is clearly a cry for help. Don't you worry—I'll sign off on as many shady back alley lobotomies as it takes for you to come around and appreciate amazing things again. We'll get through this!

Wonder if you'd enjoy Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader? It's like a cRPG and a hack and slash glued together. I finished it recently and it's mostly awful, which means... you'd probably love it?

I think it's amazing how The Witcher series appeals to such a diverse audience. Look at the music thread too, there's like death metal, pop and trance. What other game has ever done this?
All of them. The mainstream, non-niche games, at least. Have you really never enjoyed a game and come across someone entirely different who also liked it? One of many obvious examples: I (and many others) very much enjoy Metal Gear Solid 3. That's supposedly Leigh Alexander's favorite game. That's a hell of a lot more diverse than people who enjoy different music genres considering I spent a year wishing she'd trip and fall into a volcano.

All of them. The mainstream, non-niche games, at least. Have you really never enjoyed a game and come across someone entirely different who also liked it? One of many obvious examples: I (and many others) very much enjoy Metal Gear Solid 3. That's supposedly Leigh Alexander's favorite game. That's a hell of a lot more diverse than people who enjoy different music genres considering I spent a year wishing she'd trip and fall into a volcano.

Well that was me trying to find another way of saying that the Witcher attracts people who like all sorts of games, even bad ones.

Don't mind Dragonbird. She ate too many weevils and can't think clearly.

Top Bottom