The General Videogame Thread

+
I noticed that as well, animations definetely need some polishing.

Art direction looks better in other videos/images, anyway, no need to convince anyone ;)

Levels are absolutely a turn off here, no real need for them in a 15 hours semi-linear game.
Sorry. I didn't mean to come across as overly negative. I'm just not terribly pleased that the game is getting so much hype and attention when it seems to innovate so little. Cyberpunk 2077, for all its disappointing aspects, is at least combining a lot of neat genres into one package.

But if it's at least fun, I will probably play it regardless. I like to be entertained. :p If there's more variety than just level shooter, I'll be ecstatic.

Overwatch earned 1 billion with microtransaction.

"This is also a big achievement for Activision. Overwatch is the sixth IP for the company to reach this mark, following World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Destiny, Candy Crush, and Hearthstone. Seeing as many are still invested in these titles, reaching another $1 billion is not far-fetched."

During times like these gotta respect CDPR not going for microtransactions. At least they have opened a store.

From:https://gamerant.com/overwatch-spending-billion-loot-box/

Getting back to Control, I'm looking forward to it because I love games where the protagonist has psychic powers. I'm hoping this is much fun for me now as games like Second Sight and Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy were back in the day for me. I just hope it isn't super linear...I'm not expecting completely open world, but I'm hoping for a good amount of freedom to explore.

As for right now, I just got invited to take place in the OTT for Ghost Recon Breakpoint. It should be good for a distraction for a bit.

Last edited:
I keep fingers crossed for Daybreak Games to give us Fantasy Planetside 2. Last thing I read about them they wanna do LOTR with Amazon.

The week after next, 8/13 and 8/14 specifically, is space combat and exploration week, with No Man's Sky Beyond update and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw dropping, so that's how I'll be spending my time for a while.

The week after next, 8/13 and 8/14 specifically, is space combat and exploration week, with No Man's Sky Beyond update and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw dropping, so that's how I'll be spending my time for a while.
Meh passing on all these epic fail games
Overwatch earned 1 billion with microtransaction.

"This is also a big achievement for Activision. Overwatch is the sixth IP for the company to reach this mark, following World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Destiny, Candy Crush, and Hearthstone. Seeing as many are still invested in these titles, reaching another $1 billion is not far-fetched."

During times like these gotta respect CDPR not going for microtransactions. At least they have opened a store.

From:https://gamerant.com/overwatch-spending-billion-loot-box/
The whole industry tries the mobile market route and this is getting more worse in the future with cloud gaming.....i hope we can always play locally

The whole industry tries the mobile market route and this is getting more worse in the future with cloud gaming.....i hope we can always play locally

I hope triple a gaming companies like CDPR survives, more than anything, but its tough battle against casuality. Just like Cyberpunk 2077, it needs to sell 3 mill, preferably alot more.

I hope triple a gaming companies like CDPR survives, more than anything, but its tough battle against casuality. Just like Cyberpunk 2077, it needs to sell 3 mill, preferably alot more.
TW3 just passed 20M sales a little bit ago. Cyberpunk should sell more than that. It's much more of a 'mainstream' genre than high fantasy is. It likely won't break any crazy records but they'll make money on it and survive.

I saw someone on one of the cp facebook groups say it was going to smash GTA V. I hope cp2077 does well but that's wildly unrealistic. TW3 has only sold 1/6th of what GTA V has. Hell, Fallout 4 sold 12M in the first 24 hours and took TW3 almost four years to sell 20M
Post automatically merged:

Also, don't be surprised to see microtransactions in CP2077 on the multiplayer side. They are, before anything, a publicly traded company. Their responsibility to shareholders comes before cries about mx

TW3 just passed 20M sales a little bit ago. Cyberpunk should sell more than that. It's much more of a 'mainstream' genre than high fantasy is. It likely won't break any crazy records but they'll make money on it and survive.

I saw someone on one of the cp facebook groups say it was going to smash GTA V. I hope cp2077 does well but that's wildly unrealistic. TW3 has only sold 1/6th of what GTA V has. Hell, Fallout 4 sold 12M in the first 24 hours and took TW3 almost four years to sell 20M

Also, don't be surprised to see microtransactions in CP2077 on the multiplayer side. They are, before anything, a publicly traded company. Their responsibility to shareholders comes before cries about mx
Sure, as long as the MP is Free-To-Play like Gwent; at least to people who own the base game. And as long as it's fair and not loot boxes. And as long as it isn't just P2P team deathmatch stuff which they would have no business charging for.

If they charge $60 for it and then include MTX, you can bet I'm going to complain about it.

where'd you hear that?
nowhere and 3 mil for CP would be a complete disaster (kingdom of amalur reckoning failed to cover the development costs with 1 mil sales), it'll need much more (and easily manage), probably close to the numbers analysts predicts (they're damn good at that, it's their job), I think it was 19 mil in the first 3-6 months. Which is the same as RDR2's day one, which is at 24 millions now, only on consoles ofc.

Whoever says CP can get even close to GTA V is just a fanboy who has absolutely no idea about how the market works (today's news: GTA V is the most sold game in UK in 2019 so far, and it was released 6 yeas ago, total of 110 millions copies for a $6 billions revenue).

BTW, even if CP 2077 don't get to its target, whatever it is, CDPR doesn't risk anything since they have GOG. Not likely anyway, they'll easily cover the development cost.
The only thing that should concern us players is the quality of the game, sales will be good no matter what (even pre-oreders have been ridiculous so far and has been awarded as the most anticipated game).

nowhere and 3 mil for CP would be a complete disaster (kingdom of amalur reckoning failed to cover the development costs with 1 mil sales), it'll need much more (and easily manage), probably close to the numbers analysts predicts (they're damn good at that, it's their job), I think it was 19 mil in the first 3-6 months. Which is the same as RDR2's day one, which is at 24 millions now, only on consoles ofc.

Whoever says CP can get even close to GTA V is just a fanboy who has absolutely no idea about how the market works (today's news: GTA V is the most sold game in UK in 2019 so far, and it was released 6 yeas ago, total of 110 millions copies for a $6 billions revenue).

BTW, even if CP 2077 don't get to its target, whatever it is, CDPR doesn't risk anything since they have GOG. Not likely anyway, they'll easily cover the development cost.
The only thing that should concern us players is the quality of the game, sales will be good no matter what (even pre-oreders have been ridiculous so far and has been awarded as the most anticipated game).

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if CDPR manages to exceed RDR2's sales. Not that it'll be a better game, but the fact that it's on PC too already makes a big difference.

Despite what console fanatics (emphasis on fanatics -- regular fans don't feel this way) sometimes say, the PC is actually a huge source of revenue for CDPR. I believe it was something like 34% of TW3's lifetime sales?

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if CDPR manages to exceed RDR2's sales. Not that it'll be a better game, but the fact that it's on PC too already makes a big difference.

Despite what console fanatics (emphasis on fanatics -- regular fans don't feel this way) sometimes say, the PC is actually a huge source of revenue for CDPR. I believe it was something like 34% of TW3's lifetime sales?
Yeah, I found those stats for TW3, PC got more and more of a chunk in % of sales in the years. I think the issue will be with this comparison is if RDR2 does release on PC, CP2077 sales wouldn't be close. GTA V unit sales are very high on PC due to modding. Shit, I've bought GTA V three times myself lol 360 first, then again for One and once I really found out what people were doing with mods I bought it immediately on PC. Played it as recent as last night

I think the issue will be with this comparison is if RDR2 does release on PC, CP2077 sales wouldn't be close.

Yep, absolutely right. That's why I only made the comparison to RDR2 as it stands today. When it releases on PC, it's going to eclipse 2077 to an insane degree, no doubt about it.

Unless 2077 manages to have more mainstream appeal that I anticipate at the moment. Ya never know.

Yep, absolutely right. That's why I only made the comparison to RDR2 as it stands today. When it releases on PC, it's going to eclipse 2077 to an insane degree, no doubt about it.

Unless 2077 manages to have more mainstream appeal that I anticipate at the moment. Ya never know.
Hard to say. I do agree that Cyberpunk will likely have a much more mainstream appeal. High fantasy (witcher) tends to be looked at as more nerdy from the mainstream. Cyberpunk will generally fall into "sci fi" for most people and be more accepted. It will be interesting to see numbers. TW3 just crossed 20M units earlier this year. I'd like to see how fast CP gets there. I bet it's in half the time.

Sales not the end all be all of course. Fallout 4 did 12M units day one. I loved the game for what it was but it had plenty of faults. Don't think anyone will look back and claim it to be a masterpiece as some call TW3

(kingdom of amalur reckoning failed to cover the development costs with 1 mil sales)
One thing to keep in mind is most triple A publishers spend as much (and often more) on publicity for a game as it cost to develop. While publicity IS essential I think in many cases they spend more then they "need" to because frankly their products aren't good enough to garner sales via word-of-mouth in the gaming community.

So far CDPR has spent only a pittance on marketing CP2077 and community hype is already through the roof.

I didnt see this coming, SEGA is bringing own triple A game title. Or just marketting talk?

https://www.vg247.com/2019/08/06/sega-unannounced-title-gamescom-2019/

where'd you hear that?

This game cost 100+ mill, they need 3 mill at launch preferably, 3 mill is just break even number for them, theres plenty of companies who take their own cut of the profit.

Ive watched Steam Top Chart, and Cyberpunk is still there after 1 month. But lets see 10 year in the future, casual/mobile/indie/small-company games increase what happens to triple a games.

Last edited:
I didnt see this coming, SEGA is bringing own triple A game title. Or just marketting talk?

https://www.vg247.com/2019/08/06/sega-unannounced-title-gamescom-2019/

This game cost 100+ mill, they need 3 mill at launch preferably, 3 mill is just break even number for them, theres plenty of companies who take their own cut of the profit.

Ive watched Steam Top Chart, and Cyberpunk is still there after 1 month. But lets see 10 year in the future, casual/mobile/indie/small-company games increase what happens to triple a games.
Perhaps Sega's new game is Total War: Warhammer 3.

I agree, but I said GTA V is impossible to be reached, not RDR2 on consoles only ;) Also, analysts agrred on those numbers even before E3 and the massive pre-orders.
One thing to keep in mind is most triple A publishers spend as much (and often more) on publicity for a game as it cost to develop. While publicity IS essential I think in many cases they spend more then they "need" to because frankly their products aren't good enough to garner sales via word-of-mouth in the gaming community.

So far CDPR has spent only a pittance on marketing CP2077 and community hype is already through the roof.
True, but it's very early. TW3's marketing costed around $35 mil (half od the total budget), CP surely will cose much more. I mean, only keanu reeves and the singers (refused, sleep steady and who knows who else) are more expensive than the polish composer from CDPR, E3 and gamescom stands are much bigger than the ones for TW3, they had that huge poster who is freaking expensive as well...

and almost 1 year is left. Things will get huge.

-----------------------------------------------

can't find a specific thread (don't remember if it exist at all and I'm terrible at using the search function in this forum), so here we have:

I love this contrast between brutalism and bright color aberration, the new weird atmosphere and the destructible environment. Narrative seems to be really on spot from previews, but... they says it's optimized like shit on consoles (day 1 patch could help though) and enemy AI is quite dumb.
Plus, no contextual animations at all (not a real AAA game to be honest) and the decision to add a useless progression system (levels on enemies' head in a pseudo linear game which lasts 15 hours and, apart from weapons' mods, the other perks are +X% DMG and that's it) kill my hype quite a lot.
I'll wait for reviews and definetely for some serious discount (black friday?).

Top Bottom