The General Videogame Thread

+
Videogames...

Finished Sleeping Dogs last night.

The game is far from perfect, with typical problems of urban-based open world action game. Controls on PC were rather clunky too at times. But the game really stood out in terms of atmosphere, setting and combat system. Story wasn't bad either. A refreshing game for me, wish more games were exploring different cultures and settings than the American one.

Yeah, it's definitely one of the better 'sandbox' games I've played recently. The biggest letdown for me was the story actually. There was a lot of wasted potential there, I feel. Was hoping for a bit more, they had a great opportunity to present the player with a strong moral dilemma, but they didn't take it. And the plot itself ended up being fairly predictable.

Yeah, it's definitely one of the better 'sandbox' games I've played recently. The biggest letdown for me was the story actually. There was a lot of wasted potential there, I feel. Was hoping for a bit more, they had a great opportunity to present the player with a strong moral dilemma, but they didn't take it.

I agree, there could be some choices & consequences involved, especially that the story, combined with unique setting, had some potential. But still, it managed to hold my attention and connect with some characters.

Yes, I generally don't finish the story in GTA-style games, but Sleeping Dogs cleraly did something right, since I did beat the main story. I just hope they take it even further in the sequel (if there is one.) Spec Ops: The Line types of moments is what I really wanted out of that game, given the plot.

Last edited:
Videogames...

That is just wrong. Something like that could very easily be turned into a form of spyware. I'm just glad that I don't have any accounts with social media sites (apart from this one obviously). Why do companies always assume that everyone has a Facefooker or Twatbook account?

PS: Yes I was mocking those sites, it's amusing me! :rofl:

Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now style?

In terms of the general feel, yes. But I was also referring to the way choices were presented in that game, whereas there weren't any in Sleeping Dogs. And I feel like there should have been. Another example of what I mean by that would be Dishonored, maybe a bit of DE:HR in terms of lethal vs non-lethal.

What struck me most was that.... in spite of everything that happened to that game...

Originally Black Lotus, bought by Activision, changed to True Crime Hong Kong, cancelled, bought revived by Square Enix a few years later, renamed to Sleeping Dogs the very fact that this game came out and it wasn't completely crap is just surprising. You can feel how rushed the ending parts were though but it was a pretty nicely done game, the arcadey style completely suited it.

Yeah, I remember hearing about it at first and I was expecting it to end up pretty bad as well. I, too, was pleasantly surprised when the reviews and first impressions started coming out, and when I finally started playing it myself.

I just finished Murdered: Soul Suspect and it's another (first was Deadly Premonition), Japanese open-worldish horror, detective story that I absolutely loved. I hope it will become some kind of weird, obscure genre and we will see more games like that. ;)

Last edited:
To continue my Mission:Backlog I started playing Tomb Raider right after SD.

First of all, I understand now why some of our Witcherettes here found it difficult sometimes to play with Geralt in 3rd person. In TR it's hard for me to concentrate too :p

Other than that, I'm about 2 hours in and I quite enjoy it. I like the mood of the game, the graphics are definitely not too bad on highest settings. So far it has this element of excitement when you explore the surroundings. But I can already feel it coming when Lara will pull off the Breaking Bad trick and transform from a fragile woman into a killing machine. Without the subtlety of Breaking Bad, obviously.

Oh, and the QTEs...just...just no.

Tomb Raider is fun despite the QTEs. And there's a lot of them. I just recognized they were going for the cinematic experience and rolled with it in that game.

I just finished Murdered: Soul Suspect and it's another (first was Deadly Premonition), Japanese open-worldish horror, detective story that I absolutely loved. I hope it will become some kind of weird, obscure genre and we will see more games like that. ;)

The game is Japanese? I swear I read somewhere that the dev was American.

Was thinking of picking it up since I like detective games in general, and I'm a big fan of ghost stories. So it's a good blend.

The game is Japanese? I swear I read somewhere that the dev was American.

Was thinking of picking it up since I like detective games in general, and I'm a big fan of ghost stories. So it's a good blend.

It was written, directed and produced by Japanese team from Square Enix, but actual work like graphics, programming etc. was outsourced to Airtight Games. This combination is great because game is quite original and has an unique atmosphere, but at the same time it looks good and have a proper PC port (unlike Deadly Premonition).

Last edited:
So the Enemy Front game came out, haven't noticed until today.. Anybody played it? I read pretty mixed opinions.

Tomb Raider is fun despite the QTEs. And there's a lot of them. I just recognized they were going for the cinematic experience and rolled with it in that game.

Yeah, I guess I'll try to keep thinking about it this way and I should be fine. More or less.

Top Bottom