The General Videogame Thread

+
I gave up on Jade Empire after it didn't want to work with Wine. I guess it spared me extra frustration :) May be newer Wine fixed those issues though.

Only slightly game related.

I was on my clan chat last night and everyone was talking about genetics, ethnicity, nationality, etc.. And a new guy said that he inherited the German master race gene, though the name of said race he did not know. And went on about how his IQ was 278. There was an awkward silence and we all logged off.

Clan chat in what game? The last time I played a MMORPG, guilds had some process of accepting members. So usually such kind of weird people never made it in.

Last edited:
Well Guild Chat rather. Guild Wars 2. I'm back to playing on/off again, he was in maybe a week, talked normal. Until that point.

The funny part about it was it didn't seem like he was trolling.

Dona mentioned the new patch (which I guess comes out in two days) was going to have Lions Arch seiged which sounds pretty cool, but unless that siege brings a new level 80 dungeon...well, I'm sick of the near two year old same-old-same-old dungeon content :p

Its been a while but I am slapping on my space cowboy hat and heading once again into the final frontier. There was much grinding for fuel but if that is what it takes to save the world and progress through the Ultima series than I will :D

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Well that makes me want to go back and keep trying. But I just wonder where all of this will take me. Is it really worth it?

Put aside. Play better game.

Didn't you say you were on the fence about playing The Banner Saga? Play that instead.

I did consider simply moving on to a much better game (not very hard to find :p). I want to purchase The Banner Saga and Blackguards, but I want to wait for a price drop especially for the latter. I am still unsure they are worth the prices they cost right now.

To be honest I don't want to play something too engaging because I am expecting Wasteland 2 to come out any moment! But I might just have to keep waiting.

Cheat, there's probably some mods out there or just drop it down to easy if you haven't allready. You know how it is with Bioware, they swamp you with pointless combat every few feet, you can either endure it or make it piss easy.

That is absolutely right. The clunky, unresponsive combat wouldn't be so torturous if the game didn't throw battle encounters at you around every damn corner! I might bring it down to easy just to finish the game quickly, but does the story get any better? Right now I'm fighting hordes of spirits near that damned dam at Tien's Landing.

I gave up on Jade Empire after it didn't want to work with Wine. I guess it spared me extra frustration :) May be newer Wine fixed those issues though.

Yeah you're not missing out, heh. I feel it could have been more fun but, well, it isn't.

Doesn't sound too good if the part you dislike about Jade Empires is the "playing the game" part of the game :p

On an unrelated note thanks Csàszàr! You've given me the key to the smiley. I didn't even think to try if my favourite smiley had returned!!!! :ice: :ice: :ice: w00t!

Last edited:
"Why Titanfall has no single player campaign"

Though it's an FPS (and looks like a pretty fun one, honestly), I hope this attitude will live and die with Titanfall. Otherwise, it's a pretty disturbing direction for the industry. Supposedly it's an approach more fitting for shooter games, and RPGs, with their higher focus on story, are less inclined to such a philosophy, but still.

It´s way too early to make a thread for this game yet, as it´s been announced recently, so I´ll post it here in case some of you guys are interested in following its development.

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/runemaster

Runemaster

Description

In this RPG, you are a hero in a time of chaotic upheaval. Explore the six worlds of Norse mythology, amass your forces and vanquish your enemies on the battlefield in the name of your chosen God. Will you choose to enforce change for those that crave it or will you seek to maintain the status quo - for better or worse?

You, alone can determine the fate of the world.
You, alone are the master of your own saga.

Features

Vast vistas to explore: Wander the six worlds of Norse myth, from the lofty forests of Midgard to the fires of Muspelheim. Each time you start a new campaign, the world is procedurally generated to ensure each adventure is a venture into the exciting and unknown.
Rich tactical combat: Recruit and command an expansive range of units with unique abilities. Learn to use your troops – and the terrain of the battlefield – to crush your enemies.
Emergent storytelling: Who you are and the choices you make have a direct impact on the journeys you embark on. The game’s procedural quest system will take note of your deeds and challenge you accordingly. No two playthroughs will ever be the same.

I know what you´re thinking: "More Norse mythology?? I´ll pass". But there are some things about this game which make it interesting IMO.

The game is being developed by Paradox Interactive. In case you don´t know them, they are specialized in historical grand strategy games (look for Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis, for example), and they are known for the historical accuracy with which they develop their games.
Following their usual ideology, they plan to make this game as faithful to Norse mythology as they can.

Also, with their experience in strategy games, I´m confident they have some great ideas regarding tactical combat for the game.

And, also good to know, they always make their games highly moddable, and this one will be no exception.

I, for one, will be following this very closely. When enough details are revealed, I´ll probably make a thread about the game.

I recall watching an interview with the developer of the game...

Found it, it's a video by Angry Joe:

I remember not being all that impressed by it. Worth keeping an eye on, though.

Ratatosk was I think a squirrel who ran up and down Yggdrasil swapping threats and insults between a great Eagle that sat in the branches of the World Ash and Nidhoggr (Corpse Tearer) the Orm who chewed endlessly on the roots of the great Tree. As I remember there were Nine worlds in the Old Norse beliefs though, as that is the sacred number to their thinking. To be honest i'm more interested in the real Viking culture, something that's never been explored in game, except by insults like Skyrim et al, rather than the symbolic myths of the Edda's and Saga's which I don't want to be sullied.

I know what you´re thinking: "More Norse mythology?? I´ll pass". But there are some things about this game which make it interesting IMO.

(...) Following their usual ideology, they plan to make this game as faithful to Norse mythology as they can.

No. There are barely any good games out there that are actually based on Norse mythology (references and names don't count). Judging by their description, however, I wouldn't really call this project faithful at all (six worlds, really?).

Ratatosk was I think a squirrel who ran up and down Yggdrasil swapping threats and insults between a great Eagle that sat in the branches of the World Ash and Nidhoggr (Corpse Tearer) the Orm who chewed endlessly on the roots of the great Tree. As I remember there were Nine worlds in the Old Norse beliefs though, as that is the sacred number to their thinking. To be honest i'm more interested in the real Viking culture, something that's never been explored in game, except by insults like Skyrim et al, rather than the symbolic myths of the Edda's and Saga's which I don't want to be sullied.

I think a proper game based on the deities and the stories in the Edda would be fun, but since most of them involve godly quests or feats I have no idea how to make things work properly. Take for instance the story when Thor visits Uthgarda-Loki and accepts several challenges. He lifts a cat that turns out to be the world serpent, Jormungandr, he drinks a bottomless beer stein that happens to be the sea, and he wrestles an old lady that happens to be old age. As fun as it is, I don't see that as a game.

Now, as you say, games based on the sagas would actually present real struggles. The saga of the Volsungs is particularly interesting :p

The last game I played which is roughly based on those settings was Rune Classic. Which is a decent game but it's more of an action hack-n-slash than anything else. The atmosphere and the story were pretty good for the genre though.

Last edited:
I was playing the GOG version of Rune the other day and I don't know if it's my memory being knackered (been hit in the head a lot,) but there seemed to be some levels missing. I distinctly remember the Goblin/Pukje tunnels being a real long haul and a pain in the arse, this time they were fairly brief.

I was playing the GOG version of Rune the other day and I don't know if it's my memory being knackered (been hit in the head a lot,) but there seemed to be some levels missing. I distinctly remember the Goblin/Pukje tunnels being a real long haul and a pain in the arse, this time they were fairly brief.

Indeed, they trimmed some levels in further releases. You can still play them if you use Rune Gold (GOG offers it in extras to Rune Classic).

Top Bottom