The General Videogame Thread

+
KotOR 2 is Obsidian, not BioWare.

From what I understood of the whole situation, Black Isle Studios was comprised of several of the same people who later went on to form Obsidian Entertainment, and many of them, in turn, went on to form Bioware. Regardless of the name of the dev studio, it was mostly the same core team of people. Many of those involved in creating Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 1, and Neverwinter Nights 1 would make up the team that founded the original Bioware. Bioware today, however, has almost no one left from that original team. The name of the company has been carried on, but the actual people are totally different. So, the people that brought us KotOR 1, Mass Effect 1, and Dragon Age 1 are not the same people that brought us Mass Effect Andromeda or Anthem (...whut? Brainfart.)

For myself, I can pretty clearly see the same "handwriting" in Fallout 1&2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, Neverwinter Nights 1&2, KotOR 1&2, Mass Effect 1-3, and Dragon Age 1-3. They're a style that speaks of the same people and the same philosophies of gameplay being applied and refined. The character work and combat synergy between classes in Dragon Age Inquisition was absolutely excellent. I can basically see Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 exploding to life in its approach.

Last edited:
Huh... that explains that. :D Weird that Outer Worlds is so by the numbers then. That studio is capable of great things.
I think by the number is the idea. Like greedfall, it is a "here something like the good old days" pit now that bethasda went mmo with fallout.

From what I understood of the whole situation, Black Isle Studios was comprised of several of the same people who later went on to form Obsidian Entertainment, and many of them, in turn, went on to form Bioware. Regardless of the name of the dev studio, it was mostly the same core team of people. Many of those involved in creating Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 1, and Neverwinter Nights 1 would make up the team that founded the original Bioware. Bioware today, however, has almost no one left from that original team. The name of the company has been carried on, but the actual people are totally different. So, the people that brought us KotOR 1, Mass Effect 1, and Dragon Age 1 are not the same people that brought us Mass Effect Andromeda or Anthem (...whut? Brainfart.)

For myself, I can pretty clearly see the same "handwriting" in Fallout 1&2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, Neverwinter Nights 1&2, KotOR 1&2, Mass Effect 1-3, and Dragon Age 1-3. They're a style that speaks of the same people and the same philosophies of gameplay being applied and refined. The character work and combat synergy between classes in Dragon Age Inquisition was absolutely excellent. I can basically see Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 exploding to life in its approach.

BioWare was founded to do what the name suggests by the 2 doctors. they really were trying to make medical software. Seems like the got bored of that and decided to make games instead. in 1995.

Obsidian was definitely formed out of the ruins of Black Isle after interplay imploded. but that didn't happen till 2003, a solid few years after bioware had been started up and had released a couple of games.

Just finished RDR2. Man I didnt knew theres rumours Rockstar's next game being medieval fantasy. King Arthur sounds pretty awesome if true, especially if its little bit darker, like one could play some Dark Knight for example.

Last edited:

Another highly anticipated polish video game has been delayed, however this time they didn't provide any release date.

Yeah, I'd rather they didn't, unless they're sure. Wait until the game is practically out the door or so close to being finished that if you do need to delay again, it's only a short one of a few weeks.

CP2077 being 8 months away just makes me wonder how realistic a date it is. I'd have preferred they announced the delay and then wait til E3 to announce the September release date, at least that way it'd be more solid.

As it is, I'll assume it's actually gonna need an extra 2 months and release in late November or perhaps need to be held over to the favoured Spring release window that devs are so fond of. For me, it's just better than trusting the release date. If it then does release in Sep, it'll be a nice surprise :)

Last edited:
I would not be too surprised if Cyberpunk was pushed back by a couple more months, if the currently planned September date is already expected to require crunch to meet. On the other hand, it looks like the first few months after the launch of the next gen consoles could be really packed with major releases, and there is still a chance that more will be announced at E3.

CP2077 being 8 months away just makes me wonder how realistic a date it is. I'd have preferred they announced the delay and then wait til E3 to announce the September release date, at least that way it'd be more solid.
I would not be too surprised if Cyberpunk was pushed back by a couple more months, if the currently planned September date is already expected to require crunch to meet. On the other hand, it looks like the first few months after the launch of the next gen consoles could be really packed with major releases, and there is still a chance that more will be announced at E3.
I'm gonna be fairly optimistic about it and say that the game didn't even need to be delayed as much as 5 months, but they simply did it to avoid summer release, because usually games don't sell that well at release during that period. Crunch is something that usually happens in the final months before release... of anything, pretty much, so this is probably what they meant when they said that it will definitely happen. Of course, it doesn't mean that they will be spending 5 months crunching all the time, but final month or two will be most likely a crunch period.

So I believe that Cyberpunk won't be delayed anymore.

I'm not aware of any job which doesn't require crunch time at some point. I've worked in Sweden for a while, one of the most sensitive countries (if not the most) in terms of work/life balance and yet I had to do crunch. Haven't complained for a second. Not saying you can do it for all your life, but it's quite ubiquitous.

I'm gonna be fairly optimistic about it and say that the game didn't even need to be delayed as much as 5 months, but they simply did it to avoid summer release, because usually games don't sell that well at release during that period. Crunch is something that usually happens in the final months before release... of anything, pretty much, so this is probably what they meant when they said that it will definitely happen. Of course, it doesn't mean that they will be spending 5 months crunching all the time, but final month or two will be most likely a crunch period.

So I believe that Cyberpunk won't be delayed anymore.

I agree, for the most part. The possibility of another big delay could still be there, however it seems very unlikely to me. But, at the same time, I'm no fortune teller :LOL:

Doom eternal's dev talking about a good progression system:

"What was difficult in the first hour becomes second nature in the second hour. By the fourth hour, that's just one of many things that you know how to do. And really, by the eight hour, you are going to be a black belt. Just finding the pacing and nailing that, figuring that out early enough in development to be able to polish it was critical to making the game feel like it was exciting, exhilarating, but not frustrating. It's okay to be frustrated so long as I know what I did wrong and don't feel like the game is screwing me. That's very important."

Opposed to boosting numbers but keeping the same challenge and situations throughout hours and hours of gameplay.

Also, Demon design!

The whole package sounds mighty impressive but the Marauder seems like the ace in that deck.

Top Bottom