The General Videogame Thread

+
Not really impressed. Too assassin's creedy. :/

I like how they're trying to deal with map navigation using wind and animals as direction instead of the usual - boring - minimap, but the map seems too "classic" with question marks here and there, shrines to unlock "skill points", enemy camps... A minor complaint is for animations, particularly the complete lack of them when looting, while the main complaint goes to enemy AI (that stealth!) and combat system which seems too easy, like old assassin's creed. SEEMS is the key word.

That being said, I'll wait for reviews, but to date, it seems like it's the weakest sony's exclusive together with days gone. I expect more from them.

I still do not fully understand what kind of a game Ghost of Tsushima is and i wasn't expecting much from the initial announcement. Something like Horizon (and i liked Horizon), nice beginning for a new IP with a lot of potential for future installments. And today's demonstration left me with, and i hate when people say things like that, yet like it is a samurai horizon zero dawn with a pinch of ubisoft design. Im still interested in this title, but now blown away.

I got a lot of Witcher vibes from it, especially in the exploration section. Then Assassin's creed when he attacked the camp. And Horizon too. Which is good as they are all great games!

I'm a bit worried about enemy AI, as it seems kinda dumb. Hopefully it's just for demo purposes.

I still do not fully understand what kind of a game Ghost of Tsushima is and i wasn't expecting much from the initial announcement. Something like Horizon (and i liked Horizon), nice beginning for a new IP with a lot of potential for future installments. And today's demonstration left me with, and i hate when people say things like that, yet like it is a samurai horizon zero dawn with a pinch of ubisoft design. Im still interested in this title, but now blown away.

That looks very well made, but I have to admit I'm getting a bit full of "open-world / stealth / brawlers". Watching it, my mind was just constantly overlaying Shadow of Mordor, Mad Max, Batman AK, etc.

It's beautiful, though.

The heaviest influence to me is the latest AC games, with a touch of Nioh and Witcher thrown in. So not totally innovative but playing a samurai in an open world Japan is a huge plus. It really depends if they can keep the activities from being too copy paste.

I'm pumped for it still. Playing as the ghost will be interesting.

Scorn has me intrigued.

Oh yeah...that Unreal Engine 5 demo blew me away (three times).

Last edited:
It's beautiful, though.

It may just be me but the colors look off. Too much stuff in a given scene looks like it kind of blurs together. Perhaps it's the way the lighting is interacting. Plus, it looks like it's plagued by the same issue I've noticed in other games. Console games specifically. Really bright stuff can appear way too dominate. I don't know. Maybe it's my low end monitor showing it's inadequacies....

It may just be me but the colors look off. Too much stuff in a given scene looks like it kind of blurs together. Perhaps it's the way the lighting is interacting. Plus, it looks like it's plagued by the same issue I've noticed in other games. Console games specifically. Really bright stuff can appear way too dominate. I don't know. Maybe it's my low end monitor showing it's inadequacies....

Intentionally so, I think. Stylization. The color pallete seems intentionally scewed toward "bleak". Everything is given a "grey-wash".

1589616617480.png

I see more problems with that transition between green and yellow. It's not realistic and seems like the map has been built in pieces and not organically, which is something we don't see in AAA games since years ago.

I don't know, I love the infamous series, here sckerpunch hasn't convinced me at all... :/

View attachment 11041322

I see more problems with that transition between green and yellow. It's not realistic and seems like the map has been built in pieces and not organically, which is something we don't see in AAA games since years ago.

I don't know, I love the infamous series, here sckerpunch hasn't convinced me at all... :/

I think it looks as "realistic" as all of the other stylized color in the game. Those appear to be ginkgo trees. It may be that you're just not familiar with ginkgo forests:

1589619566179.png

I think it looks as "realistic" as all of the other stylized color in the game. Those appear to be ginkgo trees. It may be that you're just not familiar with ginkgo forests:

View attachment 11041346
I wasn't referring to the colors but to the transition between green and yellow. You can see a very clear line where the trees start. there's no in-between, it's not a fluid, gradual, natural transition.

1589627356095.png

Not a big deal, to be clear.

I've finally watched the Ghost of Tsushima State of Play gameplay demo. That video was very complete and to the point despite it not being hugely long, I liked it.

About the game, well, mechanically speaking it clearly isn't anything revolutionary but, holy hell, some of those mechanics do help with the atmosphere of the game. And what an atmosphere! Without a doubt the strongest aspect of the game :ok: It feels like one of those games that used some of the best stuff in The Witcher 3 as inspiration. Hopefully the experience of playing it will feel as meaningful and engaging as TW3.

Also, I was surprised in a good way to see stuff like crafting and gear customization in this game. I had the impression that it was going to be a simpler and more linear game in that regard.

If I ever get to have a PS4 or PS5 I'd love to try this game.

Intentionally so, I think. Stylization. The color pallete seems intentionally scewed toward "bleak". Everything is given a "grey-wash".

It bothers my eyes :). I could get used to it, no doubt. I can't say I'm a fan though.

The super bright sunlight and whatnot is a bigger concern. I'm not a fan of being blinded by the light, so to speak. It would appear it's a common problem on consoles. I don't think it's a setting or display issue either.

While I agree with others about how Ghost of Tsushima looks to be heavily influenced by Assassin's Creed, Breath of the Wild, Shadow of Mordor, and other third-person open-world games, I'm fine with I as long as it's done well. and so far this looks to be. Not everything needs to be revolutionary...I'm not looking for a revolution, just a really good game I can lose myself in.

I haven’t played WL2 yet but the sequel looks like quite the improvement, especially in regards to production values. Plus, gameplay features like the Kodiak seem like something I’ll probably enjoy a lot.

The Quirks, their descriptions, andf their artworks are awesome by the way :coolstory:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've managed to make a few sketches of Kirby as Mega Man X and Zero most recently. I'm also working on one of Kirby as Axl, which hopefully I'll have the time to finish it when I get around to it.

92299342_10222721555008514_8734075197692313600_n.jpg

dduae0r-665c3d09-aaf6-4dba-b05b-5446334d97cb.jpg

So there's some sales going on in GOG...

Can someone tell me why Metro Exodus is supposed to be popular?

I mean, it looks like a similiar glorified garbage collector simulator as Dying Light, that works well as a tech demo for graphical quality but not much for anything else of note.

Also... how long does it take for Kingdom Come to really pick up? I mean, tried skimming some let's play stuff to get a gist of what's there and it seems like the beginning is an arduous chore with cutscene after cutscene after cutscene, completed with controls that almost rival Gothic 1 in their cumbersomeness. What's the catch with that game?

Can someone tell me why Metro Exodus is supposed to be popular?

I guess people find it fun. I thought the Metro series was enjoyable anyway. It's more of a survival/shooter/post apocalyptic game with a story. If this isn't your thing then it's probably not a good pickup.

Also... how long does it take for Kingdom Come to really pick up? I mean, tried skimming some let's play stuff to get a gist of what's there and it seems like the beginning is an arduous chore with cutscene after cutscene after cutscene, completed with controls that almost rival Gothic 1 in their cumbersomeness. What's the catch with that game?

Probably after you get wrecked and finally unlock the combat trainer. Bernard if memory serves? It is cutscene/cinematic heavy, I suppose. Fun game if you can get into it.

In terms of controls.... They're really not cumbersome. At first glance they would appear clunky. After playing with them a bit you get used to it. And by then they stop feeling clunky and more... strategic. In fact, if anything KCD models the combat of the time a lot better. None of this wildly swinging swords and dancing around as you'd see in most movies. It's more methodical and... messy. Getting opponents off balance, parries/blocks, well timed combos, clinches, clinches into getting opponents off balance then executing a well timed combo....

I will say if you play similar type games as a button spammer, blindly pressing buttons instead of thinking about what you're doing, KCD combat won't go well.

Top Bottom