The General Videogame Thread

+
Lately I've really been enjoying Cook, Serve, Delicious. It's an.. action restaurant sim? It focuses less on building a restaurant and more serving the correct food to customers in a timely manner. Say you're making a burger: Hit M for meat, T for tomato and so forth. It's just a "stupid" button mashing game, but it is so addictive. Just one more day, you'll say.

haven't you noticed? there's been a slew of games recently that are just cartoon flash animations and people are buying them like crazy.

I pre-ordered Thief and also got RE4 which is now HD on steam since I loved the game back in the day.

Just one more day, you'll say.
hahaha, that's awesome :D

Its been a looooooooooooong time, but I finally got my hands on a new console after ~5 years. A gameboy, the only console I have ever known. That's right BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!! Old Blue finally died. It was time for a replacement. Finally I could seek a 3DS with good consience.

I've waited and waited! I've dodged Serebii and Smogon, film, anime, breakfast cereals the works but finally FINALLY I CAN CATCH THEM ALL!!!! AWWWW YEAH SON!!!!!!!

View attachment 1763

I know nothing about Pokemon Y going in except what the starters look like in there first stage. I haven't been this ignorant going into a Pokemon game since Emerald and its just awesome. I am so freaking excited. I'm smiling so much my eyes are crying--and its not because of the 3D effects------which freaking blow my mind. Having never held a 3DS before, I thouht surely the 3D must be crumy, but it is quite good. The game is gorgeous and just awesome so far.

FIESTA!!!

Attachments

• 96px-717Yveltal.png
    96px-717Yveltal.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 134
Guess what? I can't think of anything else to play and so I'll Bioware it up and play some Jade Empire. I got a little sick of King's Bounty (which seems to linger story wise and combat is just repetitive) and already played too many hours of XCOM. I actually want to play the Banner Saga and Blackguards but I am not yet sure they are worth over 20 and 40 dollars respectively.

Any ideas or comments on Jade Empire? I keep a list of games to play and near Jade Empire I also have King of Dragon Pass and Inquisitor.

Jade Empire's corny as shit, the atmosphere's pretty good, though. Combat takes a little bit of getting used to but it should be fine. Definitely go for King of Dragon Pass before or after Jade Empire.

Last edited:
@.Volsung. Jade Empire is a good idea. It was released 2 years after KotOR and you will notice many similarities - I guess you don't fix it if it's not broken. This is the first game I think where Bioware went all out with romances [BG games don't count] - straight, gay, threesomes [yup, it's there].

The whole game is set in a place clearly inspired by Ancient China [and wuxia movies] - and it's feel so different because of it. I haven't played a game like Jade Empire in many years, so that's a compliment. What else... what else... music was excellent, I still listen to the soundtrack sometimes. Fighting system is kinda "meh" - the first time I've played the game I gave up because of it, but it gets better later. Graphics may be dated, but the game had stylized look to it so that might have helped preserve it.

So yeah, I suggest you play it.

Jade Empire's combat system annoyed me so much that I didn't want to suffer through the whole game. It looks like it wants to be action oriented but its very static RPG combat roots cannot be denied. This makes the whole thing awkward with problems with no end - static animations that can't be cancelled, combos instead of hit by hit controls, hits that don't connect but are hits anyway, no sense of impact whatsoever. Basically, imagine KotOR, but with action controls instead of a turn based systems.
Story was okay as far as I played it, although it basically is a collection of martial arts/ancient Asia movie cliches. What really shines, is JE's unusual setting - there aren't many games like it and it's refreshing.

I suggest to skip it.

Bought The Banner Saga the day before yesterday (my first full price game in ages!). No regrets so far, but I didn't play much. Really like the atmosphere and the Norse inspirations. Beautiful drawn art design (except maybe the character models in combat) and fitting soundtrack. Combat requires some thinking, even in early stages of the game. Lots of Choice and Consequence - no good/bad as far as I can tell. Weighing the moral high road or the equipment/health of your hero party (=> easier combat) against the welfare of your Banner is tough.

Last edited:
I liked Jade Empire but it did suffer from the crappy combat engine, basically I agree with what everybody above said, fine atmosphere and setting with some good choice and consequence. Usual Bioware archetype characters and situations, but the exotic locale adds a lot.

14 years since shiny Pokemon have been incorporated in the games and I've never seen one in the wild, until now. What's a "shiny" Pokemon I hear you ask, well its a Pokemon that is a unique color to its fellows. IN the current generation of games its about a 1/4000 chance of stumbling upon one. And what do I do? I hit it too slightly too hard while trying to weaken it for the catch :p Here's to my next attempt in 2028 :D

O well. the "grown-up"/final form of the Trapinch I was trying to catch is not nearly as distinct in color as when it is young.

normal
View attachment 1805View attachment 1806

shiny
View attachment 1804View attachment 1807

Attachments

• Spr_5b_328_s.png
    Spr_5b_328_s.png
    478 bytes · Views: 151
  • Spr_5b_328.png
    Spr_5b_328.png
    478 bytes · Views: 137
  • Spr_5b_330.png
    Spr_5b_330.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Spr_5b_330_s.png
    Spr_5b_330_s.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 146
I just discovered Torchlight (first game), which is a new genre for me. Loving it. So what else will I like? I know the obvious one is Diablo.

I think THQ's response to Diablo is called Titan Quest. Also GOG has another Diablo-esque classic: Divine Divinity. And There's a newer indie-ish action "RPG" called Inquisitor that looks old school.

If anything, most so called RPG's out there right now are actually action RPG's, so it shouldn't be hard to find more games like Torchlight. For instance, games like Deus Ex are essentially that except in first person perspective.

Oh also there are these action games called Zombie Shooter and Alien Shooter from an indie Russian developer. I played Alien Shooter 2 (Vengeance) and it was a lot of fun. It's simply an isometric action game with customizable/upgradeable gear and side missions and whatever. But for some reason, that's the kind of thing people call aRPG nowadays.

If you want a proper cRPG with an intense action approach, try Icewind Dale I & II.

Divine Divinity is good. There is a similar genre game which is also decent - Sacred Gold. GOG has both DRM free. Sacred Gold has a Linux version on Desura, but it comes with DRM for some weird reason.

I just discovered Torchlight (first game), which is a new genre for me. Loving it. So what else will I like? I know the obvious one is Diablo.

Divine Divinity is a classic, one of my favorite RPG's . Diablo practically invented dark fantasy for CRPG's. Alien Shooter games are also fun.

Edit- Diablo and Alien Shooter are arcade like and get very repetitive. DD is more of an RPG experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom