The General Videogame Thread

+
Path of Exile is huge right now, you might enjoy that. And it's entirely free to play, with one of the best models out there.

Thanks, but whatever I do will be single-user. Latency... Overseas bandwidth... Online isn't really feasible.

Torchlight 2's great, grab the demo, or buy the whole game direct from them or Steam, only $20. Divine Divinity is class and what arpg's should have evolved into after Diablo instead of devolving. Oh and i've heard good things of something called Grim Dawn, but it's on Steam early access so I can't personally attest for that. Sacred Gold is damn good as well.

So while Jade Empire downloaded I figured I would play some King of Dragon Pass. You know, just for a bit. Oh man... what a game! It's fucking impressive! The narrative depth, the elaborate mythology, the huge number of possible events and outcomes... I especially like the divine quests. The narrative and flow of events is just so damn good!

So far I haven't been able to become King, it's actually quite difficult. But for some reason, I just want to keep trying! Guess I'll play Jade Empire eventually.

Yeah Runequest is damn solid, beautifully detailed culture and depth to the Orlanthi. Kingship is prompted by the visit of a renowned seer, so look out for that, and make sure you've got enough nearby allies to form a tribe, enemies require a lot more concessions. Also remember that among the Orlanthi warfare, raiding and battle is honourable, if you raid a neutral clan it's expected as the act of a strong people, not judged as a heinous crime. It's only if you do it repeatedly or try to seize their land or make thralls of them that you'll worsen your reputation in Dragon Pass.

Yeah Runequest is damn solid, beautifully detailed culture and depth to the Orlanthi. Kingship is prompted by the visit of a renowned seer, so look out for that, and make sure you've got enough nearby allies to form a tribe, enemies require a lot more concessions. Also remember that among the Orlanthi warfare, raiding and battle is honourable, if you raid a neutral clan it's expected as the act of a strong people, not judged as a heinous crime. It's only if you do it repeatedly or try to seize their land or make thralls of them that you'll worsen your reputation in Dragon Pass.

So KoDP *does* use an established setting! I was wondering that! I am completely new to Runequest and so far I find it fascinating. It's that kind of crude, raw magic and battle that make it so interesting, as opposed to the refined institutionalized cowled wizard sort of corporate magic and submissive templar order kind of sword.

Are there (good) novels based on Runequest?

I didn't consider raiding anyone other than my enemies, that is good to know. I think I'll go back to playing right now...

No novels that I know of, though there's enough writing in the game to fill a book or two, really important to know those myths and mindsets for when you start heroquesting in the Godsrealm.

Personally I resolve any feuds as soon as possible, either by seizing the land of my enemies (in which case they'll move to another part of Dragon Pass) and adding it to my Tula or simply making peace. You need land later in the game, as it's the greatest gift, but some enemies you don't want to piss off.

Edit: Great music isn't it?

So now I am on the King level of reputation, and the milky eyed man approached me and suggested I start forming my first tribe, which I did. I've been a little more peaceful this time around, mostly cattle raiding during Fire season, and establishing trade routes. I also managed to successfully complete The Making of the Storm Tribe.

It's hard to put this game down, isn't it? And yes the music is kind of good, too bad it isn't audio CD like several other late 90's games.

Searching for games from around 2007-2010, since my laptop can't handle stuff more advanced (ran Mass Effect 3 fine, warned me against BioShock 2, so not sure what's going on there). I recently finished BioShock 1, which was a damn cool. Looking for games with great narrative, not just great gameplay. How is Fallout 3? Or Uncharted 2? Both of them received quite a bit of GOTY awards. Is it just for gameplay merits (like the praise Skyrim received), or do they include "holy shit this is amazing!" atmosphere/story moments like BioShock? Feel free to recommend other stuff as well, of course! Preferably things available for online purchase.

Edit: Damn it, no Uncharted for PC. First RDR, now this. Getting real tired of your shit, Playstation.

Last edited:
Hey there Eliharel!

It's not necessarily something you would enjoy - given the fact you write about bioshock and fallout - but if you got the chance you should take a look at

"Alan Wake" - which is some sort of horror-adventure.

as well as at

"The Void" - which basically cant be described. That game is definitely "unique". Its somewhat twisted and "calm" in its overall playstyle. But I do enjoy it quit a lot. (I have to add, that I feel this game is not appropriate for youngsters)

Both games got a great story and an interesting setting, plus they both dont require too much hardware.

Cheers
Pargulan

there are dozens of excellent indie games your laptop can probably run, it all depends on your tastes. Have you browsed GOG?

I don't normally play first person shooters but Metro 2033 was a lot of fun. Maybe you can run it on low.

If you like stealth and platforming, try Mark of the Ninja. If you like strategy/RPG, try out Expeditions: Conquistador. If FPP dungeon crawlers are your thing, try Legend of Grimrock. And the list goes on...

If you like adventure (real graphical adventure) look at the dedicated thread to catch up on 25 years of excellent games your computer can run.

If you like real computer RPG's, try out the classic Infinity Engine games.

If you're new to PC gaming you have hundreds of games left to play all of which your computer can run. Browse GOG for classics and the Humble Store for Indies.

Edit: if you're interested in Fallout 3, skip that shooter and play the cRPG classics Fallout 1 and 2, they kick 3 in the balls. Bethesda acquired the Fallout franchise and recently forced GOG to remove Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics from their catalog so they may be hard to find (try amazon). Another reason to NOT buy from Bethesda, destroyer of franchises.

Also expect excellent true cRPG's soon, namely Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity Original Sin, among others.

Last edited:
I'd go with Fallout New Vegas rather than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is basically Skyrim, just in a different setting. New Vegas has actual good plot, it is Obsidian's work rather than Bethesda's after all. Gameplay's meh, still on the ''Gamebryo' engine.

Haven't played 'Alpha Protocol' - another Obsidian title - myself but a lot of people here claim the story's pretty good. From what I understand, the gameplay's a mess, though, so I don't know.

Dragon Age: Origins is another title I'd recommend (though you've most likely already played it, considering you were talkng about Mass Effect). The plot itself is pretty generic, so are the characters, but it's all presented really well. Combat's pretty tight, too, though they decreased the difficulty with patches (kinda like in TW2). Definitely skip DA2, though.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is another good one, don't know if you've played it. Story's alright, they nailed the setting and characters, combat and stealth are fun as well. It's just an overall nice package. And it's Batman.

How is Fallout 3? Or Uncharted 2? Both of them received quite a bit of GOTY awards. Is it just for gameplay merits (like the praise Skyrim received), or do they include "holy shit this is amazing!" atmosphere/story moments like BioShock? Feel free to recommend other stuff as well, of course! Preferably things available for online purchase.

Edit: Damn it, no Uncharted for PC. First RDR, now this. Getting real tired of your shit, Playstation.
Yeah, I wish RDR would come to PC.

Fallout 3 has a better atmosphere than Fallout New Vegas, but FNV has the better RPG mechanics and with the DLC included is a richer game. There's a pretty Bioshock-esque DLC for it called Dead Money you might enjoy.

Have you tried Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? You need to use the fan-made patch but it has great atmosphere and presence despite some physics challenges.

I decided to go ahead and try Jade Empire. I have to say, while the models look relatively outdated, it's still visually engaging. Perhaps mostly due to the setting than anything else.

The narrative so far is not only cliché, but sort of bad. I'll be honest here, I can put up with bad fantasy, but many of these guys lines are soap opera material. And the combat is sort of a mess. I think a party based RTwP combat would have worked. Instead, we're stuck with an unresponsive click fest. At least most battles are fairly quick, and is it just me or they're also quite easy? I'm playing on "master" (whatever that means, normal?) and even Gao whom I expected to be at least a semi boss came down in seconds. Basically the trick is not to get surrounded, and that's it. I was really surprised by that over the top airplane minigame, which reminded me of Raiden or Capcom's 1942.

So far it's like everyone said. Largely unmemorable, with a promising but unexploited setting.

Top Bottom