The General Videogame Thread

+
Hard to find an English source, but good news for those who like turn-based strategy roleplaying whatever-you-call-it games, like @.Volsung. : Blackguards 2 has been announced.

http://www.technologytell.com/apple/136201/e3-2014-daedalic-announces-blackguards-2/

Fuck yeah! Thanks :) I'm having a blast with Blackguards right now. Tough and fun.

I hope they take it easy with the "simplifications". I like it the way it is, I think it adds tactical depth.

Pretty good games coming out of Germany.

Grim Fandango HD remake I hear, hmmmm.

uh... what? Where?

Thanks for the e3 digest. No way I can keep track of it.

They can't leave the computer out, they just can't!

May the crushing force of a thousand elemental spirits from the land of the dead shatter their bones and replace them with packing material if they do!

Probably just suckling on that sweet Sony exclusive teet, and we'll get a port a half year after, it'll be made on comp anyway won't it?

[video=youtube;8KLQz-7gCnI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLQz-7gCnI[/video]

shit and cum

I sure hope there are customizable paint textures

Last edited:
They can't leave the computer out, they just can't!

May the crushing force of a thousand elemental spirits from the land of the dead shatter their bones and replace them with packing material if they do!

I TOTALLY agree with you and think it's a fucking shame... Kind of want to go to San Francisco and kick gool old Tim in the nuts. It's gonna be a PS exclusve (PS4 and Vita).
Maybe it's the bad karma of having to include Disney (owner of the rights) into the deal.

Forum veteran
It's gonna be a PS exclusve (PS4 and Vita).
Perhaps not?

LINK

Anyway, Blackguards 2 is good news. The first one came close to being an amazing game, but little things like the randomly berserked Niam, annoying environmental hazards, and awful save system pretty much ruined it for me. I hear they've since made the save situation better in patches, so hopefully they recognize the first game's strengths and flaws enough to avoid ruining the solid tactical core of the game.

@227

I've been playing whatever version of Blackguards GOG has and none of those things are a problem.

1) environmental hazards are either part of the challenge or avoided with high body control.

2) niam has drug problems, but she never goes berserk randomly. If you mean one particular battle ...

In the gladiator arena ...
It's because she is high as fuck
But that's how the plot goes

3) Saves work OK. There are manual saves, quick saves, autosaves and "this battle" saves. You can't save IN battle but I'm fine with that, it would be greatly exploited otherwise possibly nullifying risk and planning.

Maybe you should try it again. I'm around the end (I guess) of chapter 3 and can't stop playing.

In other news, Square Enix have finally decided to release Final Fantasy Type-0 in the west! What took them so long? Oh, and they are also releasing a game set in the same universe on Android and iOS.

I'm not holding my breath, I doubt they will be any good!

Thank you, Tim Schafer for shitting all over the people who funded your Kickstarter campaign...I am going to be MAJORLY pissed if this is PS4 exclusive.

Forum veteran
1) environmental hazards are either part of the challenge or avoided with high body control.
One of the more annoying chapters for me was toward the beginning before I had the opportunity to put points into anyone's body control. The chapter with the crypt lice and the stalactites, specifically. The lice weren't a problem, but using magic had a nasty tendency to knock down the stalactites on top of my characters, and the camera made it impossible to tell where they would fall. Very annoying, and there were a few other chapters like that where I couldn't help but feel that the environment cheapened the otherwise solid tactical elements. Especially the stage with the poison vapor that acts like a time limit. What a middle finger that one was.

As for 2, I know that it's a plot element, but the game's habit of undermining your strategies is incredibly annoying. For example, there's a chapter toward the end that takes place as a flashback and you subsequently lose all of your character progression for that one chapter. The fun of games like Blackguards should be the brutal difficulty along with mechanics that dare you to find a way to beat them, but the curve balls that force you to play the way the game wants you to really ruined it for me.

3) Saves work OK. There are manual saves, quick saves, autosaves and "this battle" saves. You can't save IN battle but I'm fine with that, it would be greatly exploited otherwise possibly nullifying risk and planning.
At release you weren't able to save between multi-stage fights, meaning losing one fight in the arena (and many other multi-part fights toward the end) knocked you all the way back to the beginning. So much frustration. But yeah, I've heard that they fixed that in a patch, and mid-battle saves would definitely cheapen it.

I've already watched the GTA5 Next Gen trailer at least 20 times. Everything about it is so sublime. One of the best trailers this year.

Top Bottom