The General Videogame Thread

+
HL2 is a true classic and heck, even games like Doom, Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior (the original) are just as much fun to play today as they were back then.

Gotta love EA with their latest BF4 update:

So, Avira now recognizes the BF4 executable as trojan and advises me to either delet it or move it to quarantine :facepalm:

I'm very deep in my first run of Wasteland 2 now. And addicted. The gameplay has its flaws, but it's great fun nonetheless.

I usually don't like Angry Joe's rants, but his Destiny review really cracked me up.

Anyone else found it funny? I mean, really funny? I'm almost uncomfortable mentioning how much I laughed from this.

OK I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing but after 20 minutes all I can say is: this is pretty much the state of current AAA gaming. Nothing new there, except this game made it all clear and does nothing to hide the greed and abuse of modern companies.

Curiously enough, "Joe" complains about how this game expects you to "make your own story killing the same enemies over and over". That's TES right there :p I guess the difference is TES has much more to do and a some attempt at a story. Still these things pass as games nowadays and its our own fault for tolerating such bullshit in the first place.

At the moment, what can we do? Don't buy Destiny, don't play Destiny, and tell all your friends not to play it either. And specially, don't end up actually buying into their DLC scam.

Paradox weekend at Steam. I've been thinking about getting Crusader Kings II, lately, and now's the chance I guess, at 75% off.

Would be nice to hear a few words about it. Recommended? Only for specific people? I'm into the Total War series a lot, and CK2 seems intriguing, especially due to a lot more depth in the political, dimplomatic department.

Also, seeing that (at full price) there's literally 100 euros worth of DLC, what additional content should I get? Any at all, or is the base game fine for starters?

Gotta love EA with their latest BF4 update:
So, Avira now recognizes the BF4 executable as trojan and advises me to either delet it or move it to quarantine :facepalm:

You probably know this but i'll say it anyway. It could be a false positive, but with Origins history of installing spyware, i'd be suspicious. It could be part of whatever punkbuster, or cheat detecting software they're using, but even that excuse for scanning your computer and invading your privacy is a step too far for many discerning people.

Base game is fine maybe get The Republic, it's also good for starting players.

Now the game is a little complicated for newbies but don't let that discourage you, even a seasoned strategy player like me was overwhelmed by it. It's less political than it's counterpart Europa Universalis in that it focuses on dynasties and your dynasts. It's very, very easy to get into though and has good depth.

If you do get it I highly recommend starting with the county of Dublin and trying to form the Kingdom of Ireland. After this you should have a good idea of how everything works and play whoever you want. If you need any further advice you can always shoot me a PM.

Edit: Forgot, there's also not a huge focus on wars and battle. I mean they happen a lot but it's simply moving units and terrain dependent. Nothing in depth.

Their Hearts of Iron series are for the more war oriented.

Last edited:
This looks wonderful:

Edit- I'm a meat head. Totally missed the dedicated thread for this.

Last edited:
Well, well, well, look who's been revealed as a major villain in Mortal Kombat X. It shouldn't be all that surprising!

[video=youtube;czVS-hW8WC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czVS-hW8WC0&list=UUKmLw-0rYN0prXDFITjN4og&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.c om%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DczVS-hW8WC0%26list%3DUUKmLw-0rYN0prXDFITjN4og&has_verified=1[/video]

I love listening to podcasts and audio media regardless of subject, from sports to cooking to gardening, etc. Here's a interesting one from Totalbiscuit and some guys form the game industry (indie devs, PR man, journalists) discussing several topics related to Steam. Its a long one but good,

Paradox weekend at Steam. I've been thinking about getting Crusader Kings II, lately, and now's the chance I guess, at 75% off.

Would be nice to hear a few words about it. Recommended? Only for specific people? I'm into the Total War series a lot, and CK2 seems intriguing, especially due to a lot more depth in the political, dimplomatic department.

Also, seeing that (at full price) there's literally 100 euros worth of DLC, what additional content should I get? Any at all, or is the base game fine for starters?

CK II is a great game, very unique IMO. It´s not a full-strategy game, since it focuses on you managing your dinasty and in liege-vassal relations in feudal Europe. Since you´re effectively playing as individual characters rather than a country, and each character has his/her own traits and skills, there´s a lot of roleplaying possibilities as well.

About DLCs, there are many which are just aesthetic. Personally, I´d ignore those.
The base game only allows you to play Christian characters which are not rulers of either Republics or Theocracies . DLC´s unlock different other options for playable characters (Muslims, Pagans, Republic rulers), some particular mechanics (Legacy of Rome expands the mechanics of the Byzantine Empire and Orthodox characters), or expand the time lapse the game covers (the Old Gods allows you to start from the Viking Age, and now a new DLC is on the works which will allow you to start from the Charlemagne age).

So, what DLC´s to get depends on what do you want from the game. If you´re fine playing as Christian rulers, then just get the vanilla game, it´s great on its own.If you´re interested on seeing what other kind of characters can do, then see which DLC suits you better.
From the game´s forums, I get the feeling that it´s quite universally accepted that The Old Gods is the best DLC so far, because it included a lot of great features.

Thanks for your input, @Csàszàr and @gedierond !

I noticed it's not only on sale, but also a free weekend. Don't have much time this weekend, but I hope to at least get a little bit of an impression. I just played through the tutorials. Seems very interesting and intriguing, but booooy is there a lot of stuff to figure out. I obviously am a bit overwhelmed right now - started a game after the tutorials (as Dublin as Csàszàr suggested) and instantly was like "Okaaay, now what? What do I need to look at? What's a reasonable first goal and how do I go about that?". :huh:
There are the alerts, but while setting an ambition and marrying my heir are probably both important, that's not actually doing anything. The game explains a lot about what functions there are, but it does not tell me anything about how to use these functions, how to actually play the game. The manual reflects that very well: all the sections are called "The ... Interface", nothing about "How To ... ". I can see many hours pass, before I get a solid grasp on this game.

Also: Localization. English is functional. There's the odd grammatical error or not-so-good phrasing, but it's okay. Tried playing it in German, because of the specific vocabulary and complex underlying concepts involved in such a game. But grammar is often all over the place and there are outright wrong translations. The one that tipped the scales towards English: right in the main menu there's a "Content" button, which of course means DLC, but is translated as "Zufrieden" ("Satisfied") - something I certainly was not after encountering the button.

Heh, my German is very rough and I've only played in English so you're on your own on that one.

On the heir: Naturally you want to set your heir up with someone good, the eldest daughter of one of your fellow Irish counts(for your first run)

A. If his sons just so happen to die he(or she if a matrineal marriage) will become the consort when the current ruler dies. Now when your current character dies he will become count and his heir will be set inherit two counties.

B. In this game alliances are made with marriages.

On Ambition: Some like "have a son" will happen in time and give an increased chance. Others are more outright like become King of Ireland.

The bad part about playing a starter like Dublin is that it's absolutely fucking boring because you're just a single county. But it teaches you and shows you certain things in this game you have to be patient with. Once your father, the Count of Leinaster dies things will start swinging into motion.

You're not wrong on the hours of understanding though, I fumbled my first playthrough with Ireland. My first playthrough though was with Hungary, lol.

But don't worry after that you should have it down pat. I turned the Kingdom of Poland into the Wendish Empire with the crowns of Lithuania, Hungary, Bohemia, Finland, Pomerania, Bulgaria, Rus', Ruthenia, Norway, Sweden, England, The Papacy, and various duchies under that Imperial crown. At one point I became the Holy Roman Emperor too!

Yeah, getting a few more counties under my control is the way to go. The problem is knowing the means at my disposal - and the implications of using those means. Which counties are viable targets? Who are the important characters? What are my options to influence what's happening? How do characters involved (and even those not involved) in my actions react? What can go wrong? Should I have my councillors do something at all times, or is there a reason not to? When is the time to upgrade my holdings? How important a role do my stats play and how do I increase them (e.g. to fulfill the ambitions)? Is there anything I'm missing to fortify my current standing or can I focus on rising? What do the different technology stats do? And so on, and so forth. There's so much of everything!

I guess, it will mean a lot of experimentation and the experimentation is part of the fun. But I like to think my actions through, and right now I can't because I don't know what information is important and where to get it. Not asking for help, I want to figure that stuff out, just letting you know what my experience is so far.

Sounds like you're on the right path.

Also typed out a long response to all those questions, a lot of times I type a response as I read, only to get to the bottom and you not asking for help. >.<

:hai: I will try to put my not-requesting-help bit in the front of the post in the future.

I hope I haven't forfeit all hope for assistance now. I'm sure I'll need it at some point in the future. Might take a while though - don't have a lot of time at the moment to get into the game - so don't be surprised by a PM at some point in the future. But what I've seen so far convinced me of buying at least the base game and digging a bit deeper to see what it reveals.

Top Bottom