The General Videogame Thread

+
@aaden: Now you´ve done it! I´ll have to start a new playthrough of CK II! Not only that, you´ve also made me buy DLC´s for the game as well!!!
I wanted to finish my current Rome TW2 campaign before starting with another game, now it´s not gonna happen...

I know the plight. Only that when I last played Rome 2 in the early days, a new patch with fancy improvements and no savegame compatibility would come along and made me stop liking my campaign without the improvements. :( Should give it another shot, soon. :)

@aaden: Now you´ve done it! I´ll have to start a new playthrough of CK II! Not only that, you´ve also made me buy DLC´s for the game as well!!!
I wanted to finish my current Rome TW2 campaign before starting with another game, now it´s not gonna happen...

I know, our little prodige is growing all up :')

Soon he'll be getting claims on our desmene'.

You just want some easy pickings! Want me to bend my knee!

How does it work anyway? Does it just run at a preset speed or do players have (limited) opportunity to pause or how is it handled?

I actually have no idea how any of the multiplayer is handled, never played it.

I would guess it does have a preset speed with no pause.

Edit: We should plan out a session when we all have a chance though.

Sunk another hour or so into it, still no idea how to go about bethrothals. All partners nearby have "Political Concerns", both when I try to marry my heir to one of their daughters and when I try to marry my daughter to one of their sons/grandsons.

What's the deal with these political concerns? Didn't harm anyone or anything. Basically I did little, besides trying to keep my councillors busy, building some stuff and look after some smaller stuff like educating children and the like.

Won't object to multiplayer. But I want to get into it a little, first, and get my Bachelor's degree done. So, probably won't happen in October.

What you mean to say is they gave you 50% off the retail, right? Like put money in your pocket.

Seriously though I hope you can get much more joy out of it than I could.

Every time I see "dogs" in vidya my first thought is the steaming pile of shit, Watch Dogs.

Have fun, pretty fun game.

I already own the original. In fact I've just re-installed it to get myself re-acquainted with the combat system. I actually forgot how good it was! I'm hoping this new version is just as good, or better, when it comes out on the 9th.

@aaden: I must admit with 300+ hours in the game I don't think I've ever experienced that. I did a quick search on it though, seems it's a check against ambitious claims to protect their dynasty. I'll boot up a Dublin game myself to see how to possibly get around it.

@AL890: Never played the dl's myself, maybe one day I'll get round to them.

I haven´t played for a while now, but I do recall that "Political concerns" indeed means that the AI thinks that you might obtain a claim from the marriage. It´s particularly important if you´re negotiating with a neighbour.

Never played multiplayer myself either, so I don´t really know how it´s handled. I guess the game runs at a preset speed, and pauses have to be agreed by everyone?

Divine Divinity, thought i'd follow up Original Sin with the er...original. Damn good game, music's beautiful and the graphics more than do the job. Pity it wasn't turn based like D:OS, but short sighted publishers gonna be twats, arbitrarily ruling out better control schemes because they're not fashionable.

So, Dragon Age: Origins is currently "On the House" aka for free. But EA being EA, it's obviously just the base game to squeeze a ton of money for DLC and the expansion out of the people who fall for it. Making it an excellent promotion for DA:I obviously does not suffice.

Here's my controversial opinion:

J-RPGs are hardly RPGs at all since character progression is automatic, there is no decision making other than tactical combat and there is usually a massive obsession with power gaming through level grinding. That said, some can be really fun. One of my all time favorite games is Chrono Trigger, but it is because the story and characters are all excellent and charming. Mechanically, it's just another jRPG.

Final Fantasy isn't specially attractive even if some entries are supposed to have great narrative, like the popular FF VII. I personally only played IV on the DS and it was, well, OK.

My opinion of FF IV is that it is a fun game that borders on frustration way too often. Level grinding is massive and distracts you from your characters motivations. Mechanics and exploration are the same old thing: roam around, unavoidable random battles, power gaming, auto progression. The story is OK if you are 12, as it's riddled with every possible cliche and creatures from all possible cultures and mythologies.

But even then I gave it 30 or more hours of my life and I don't regret it. It was fun, turn your brain off and shut up type of fun. Might have been more hours with all that bullshit grinding but I'd rather not think about it.

So coming from the other type of game, the computer RPG, I don't think most jRPGs and FFs are worth it. Specially with the crowdfunded cRPGs coming out.

It's all a matter of preference though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom