The General Videogame Thread

+
Na, looks like the general consensus is JRPGs usually blow, and FF stands for Fucking Fail.

LOL, sorry to its fans, but I can't stand it. Dark Souls is a JRPG though, and I think I could enjoy it. Haven't played it yet though, so I can't say I've ever enjoyed a JRPG.

I did some FF long time ago. I didn't like FFIX when I was a child, started the game one year ago on an emulator and loved the prologue. The rhythm, the humor, the music, the characters, the artstyle, the quiproquos, everything was perfect like an amazing clockwork. If my kids start video games some day and if they aren't too narrow minded I'd certainly propose the first two hours of this game. I gave the game up when grinding became necessary (after... 2 hours). As for the serie as a whole, Nomura "artstyle" is a disaster and FF is only Nomura now.

But Valkyrie Profile, Tactics Ogre and FFTactics stories were great experiences...
In Valkyrie Profile you played Lenneth, a Valkyrie whose role is to find great warriors on earth for Odin's army. For each character you witness how they died before you recruit them, and some were really moving and well-written. In the opening of the game, Lenneth remembers glimpses of her past life as a human (she died in a field of poisonous flowers)... And the music... The themes at 1'30 and 4'37 are above everything else. If you don't think it's majestic you're hopeless:
The music... Never liked japanese designs and artstyles, but they know how to make great themes and were globally way ahead of western RPGs when it comes to music and cinematography (from 1995 to 2005 as far as I know). But JRPG style, dungeons, grinding, lack of freedom overall... unbearable except for some rare absolute gems. Tactics Ogre and FFT have a very good intricate and political plot.

I don't know if it's a great game objectively, but Vagrant Story still is and will surely be my favourite game ever.

Last edited:
Another problem with jRPGs is they're usually built around a console, with a game pad as primary controller. This results in repetitive, streamlined combat that gives turn based a bad name.

Disgaea is an interesting strategy/jRPG hybrid that actually works despite a controller, but I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted because of the wretched grinding. I think FF tactics is very similar.

Another recent jRPG I played that tried to innovate combat is Radiant Historia. You are expected and encouraged to think ahead and chain attacks, taking into account the turn order which is initiative based but may be altered with abilities. Story is the usual ridiculous power trip but serviceable and less embarrassing than the FF I played.

On the other hand a keyboard and mouse let you fill the entire screen with interactive game elements, and go wild with encounter mechanics. Imagine all the quick positioning and attack timing of Infinity Engine games with a controller! It would have to be dumbed down and streamlined resulting in... Dragon Age :p

Also it's hard for PC gamers to play these games since they're mostly for consoles.

@Cheylus good taste

I'd add my first RPG with choice and consequence was actually a JRPG called Way of The Samurai where you live in this town for 11 days working all the factions and there were a 17 endings with lots of collectibles. The story was quite simple and even comedic but I'd rather play this than something like Kingdoms of Amalur or some other shitty colorful generic fantasy game.

Way of the Samurai 4 is coming out on PC so I'm looking forward to that.
@Unkindled you should play Dark Souls! it's not that hard also Dragons Dogma is really good as well. If we're talking about generic japanese games and generic american european games I'd actually rather play japanese ones they're more entertaining.

@Unkindled you should play Dark Souls! it's not that hard also Dragons Dogma is really good as well. If we're talking about generic japanese games and generic american european games I'd actually rather play japanese ones they're more entertaining.

I know I know :lol: My friends have been hounding me to play it, but for some reason I've gotten lazy when it comes to playing new games. I actually have it now. I just gotta make myself play. Getting new games nowadays just makes me want to play games I already have. BUT, I will make myself play the game sometime this holiday. Probably before I upgrade to my new moderately souped up PC in time for Witcher 3.

So I watched a video the other day on Alien: Isolation and went to wikipedia to read the synopsis because I'm not playing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien:_Isolation

Head to the reception section. Funny how it's gotten decent reviews and then look at the Gamespot, Polygon, and IGN review snippets. The Gamespot review snip says how the reviewer doesn't like the unpredictable AI the very thing a lot of people want because most games have moderately easy to memorise AI. I guess he just wants things handed to him.

What a fucking joke.

@Csàszàr

Since when have journos ever been smart or in touch with reality?

There's good ones here and there. Just funny that three of the biggest(and most corrupt) sites went against the grain for once, as far as bad reviews.

I guess Rock Paper Shotgun didn't review it because they couldn't afford to go buy a copy. Hey oh!

wow, i have this game, physical copy...nostalgia.
The motorcycle mini-games are actually really fun and frustrating at the same time.

How's the rest of the game though? I might just buy it, as I was a fan of Tron when I was a kid.

@Csàszàr
I guess they were unable to offer any substantial bribes this time! :rofl:

Thanks to whichever mod fixed mine as well. My internet was being a pain for a few minutes.

Anyway, back on topic.

It looks like the next Borderlands is at the top of the best seller chart on Steam, which is weird considering that it hasn't been released yet! I didn't mind Borderlands 2 except the stupid amount of DLC that they released for it. Why they couldn't have just made two large expansions is beyond me...
:facepalm:

I could accept the first games dlc, they weren't amazing but decent except Knoxx which was awesome.

With the last piece, The Robolution, they discovered outsourcing... Outsourced all dlc for two minus the last actual "expansion" and they were Shite. Torgue was okay just because of the over the topness. And of course outsourced Colonial Marines and we know what happened there...

They wouldn't be such a bad company if:

A. They stopped fucking outsourcing
B. Ousted the second coming of Peter Molyneux, AKA Randy Pitchford, AKA Dumbass
C. Not only fire Anthony "the meme" Burch but also exile him from the industry

How's the rest of the game though? I might just buy it, as I was a fan of Tron when I was a kid.

Well i'm not sure about your taste...
It is an FPS game, with an ok story, just like the movie Legasy...i mean it has similarities to it.
you have different types of weapon as the famous throwing disc...
You have different ways to upgrade yourself, you need to work on tactic, unless you're a deadly eye marksman who does head shots only...so you can take out few at once...there are different types of enemies, obstacles...i'd say as a old games lover...i passed the game around 2-3 times in the last year...which means if you got into the game, you'll want to replay it, if not...then not.
There are some secrets that are hard to find sometimes, that gives you something, that i don't exactly remember what...
Every weapon has his different upgrades of example, throwing disc becomes 5 throwing discs that you can throw at once, instead of one and wait till it returns.

In general, i don't really know what to say, i don't want to mislead, each one of us is different.
From my perspective, game is fun, get it if you want. oh and it could be frustrating sometimes because of some moments, which i'm not going to spoil.

Hope this helps...

Well i'm not sure about your taste...
It is an FPS game, with an ok story, just like the movie Legasy...i mean it has similarities to it.
you have different types of weapon as the famous throwing disc...
You have different ways to upgrade yourself, you need to work on tactic, unless you're a deadly eye marksman who does head shots only...so you can take out few at once...there are different types of enemies, obstacles...i'd say as a old games lover...i passed the game around 2-3 times in the last year...which means if you got into the game, you'll want to replay it, if not...then not.
There are some secrets that are hard to find sometimes, that gives you something, that i don't exactly remember what...
Every weapon has his different upgrades of example, throwing disc becomes 5 throwing discs that you can throw at once, instead of one and wait till it returns.

In general, i don't really know what to say, i don't want to mislead, each one of us is different.
From my perspective, game is fun, get it if you want. oh and it could be frustrating sometimes because of some moments, which i'm not going to spoil.

Hope this helps...

Sounds like it's up my street! I guess I'll get it when I have the cash, it's really cheap so I wouldn't be losing much. Thanks mate!

Latest SC gameplay.

First vid to demonstrate the scope of this game. It's space sim merged with Mass Effect, something X Rebirth tried and failed miserably at. Things get impressive after the ship lands and the PC takes a stroll through a sizable hub area @ 2:36. Level art is reminiscent of ME and Hard Reset, with a healthy dose of detail. We can visit shops, buy ships, go down a dark alley and get a mission etc. So planetside gameplay doesn't look tacked on, it's a developed part of the game. This will be just one of many hubs. Clearly needs a lot of optimization and animations are place holder but damn I'm getting excited for this, especially after seeing the hub. Word is 280 people are on the team with outsourced studios also doing work, so my worries about Roberts not staffing accordingly are unfounded. This might be the first game that marries space combat to FP gameplay in a meaningful way.

Last edited:
The first and last Japanese game I've played is Mario bros on the old Nintendo. I'm glad im not the only one who dislikes Japanese gaming.

Top Bottom