The General Videogame Thread

+
People are saying it's a joke video. If it is then this is not something you should be making as a big company. People will take it seriously. Especially after AC:U and other ubisoft crap

Since when have IGN been known to have a good sense of humor?

Since when have IGN been known to have a good sense of humor?
I don't know. They also uploaded a video of a ton of FPS drops and bugs in Assassins creed unity so I figure they have it out for ubisoft. It's odd to me to see IGN upload stuff like that. I've heard that that video is either a "joke" or a hidden easter egg ending. The description makes no mention of a joke or anything. I think it's an easter egg thing

Just tested the first Mount & Blade from GOG. It works well in Wine, but requires d3dx9_36 native override.

Going to give that a try very soon and gallop around like a champion.

I've heard the game can be very punishing to new players on the harder difficulties. Any vets agree or should I try and tough it out?

Been playing Far cry 2 some. This game has really nice visuals especially with sweetfx which makes the colors way better. Dylan's mod improves it a bit so patrols have like a 60% chance to chase you and damage is more realistic (For you and enemies). Wish more games were set in Africa. Maybe a game set in Rhodesia during the Rhodesian Bush War.

So... I wonder if I should buy Civ Beyond Earth, any of you guys played it and can tell me if it's worth buying now?.

Attachments

• forza pc.jpg
    forza pc.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 42
  • SSOD PC.jpg
    SSOD PC.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 48
I'm at a crossroad in my Gaming career. My playtime has been reduced drastically since the semester began (which I'm taking seriously, unlike last year) and I don't really allow myself to play a lot, at all. So yesterday I finally returned to some of my games (System Shock 2 and Company of Heroes), and I got obliterated over and over.

I'm used to playing on the hardest difficulty. Now suddenly it;s either lowering it down, or just playing at a pace that isn't quite enjoyable. Problem is I have this irrational ego restraint against lowering the difficulty. There's something satisfying about finishing a game in its hardest difficulty, some sense of accomplishment and overcoming a challenge.

I'm at a crossroad in my Gaming career. My playtime has been reduced drastically since the semester began (which I'm taking seriously, unlike last year) and I don't really allow myself to play a lot, at all. So yesterday I finally returned to some of my games (System Shock 2 and Company of Heroes), and I got obliterated over and over.

I'm used to playing on the hardest difficulty. Now suddenly it;s either lowering it down, or just playing at a pace that isn't quite enjoyable. Problem is I have this irrational ego restraint against lowering the difficulty. There's something satisfying about finishing a game in its hardest difficulty, some sense of accomplishment and overcoming a challenge.
Just lower it and play until you get the hang of it again and then up the difficulty again. You could reload to where you were before you lowered the difficulty once you get into the groove again.

A friend of mine is experimenting with gaming a bit. He tried out ME1+2 and enjoyed them to a degree, but he's hoping for a story that's more mature. He played The Last of Us and liked it a lot. Any suggestions? Games that are too old will probably scare him away.

The main games I recommended are TW2, Spec Ops: The Line (based on reviews, never played it myself) and BioShock 1 + 3. I also read often that Red Dead Redemption has a good story as well (though he only has a PS4, I think).

Red Dead Redemption is a must play for anyone (bring it to pc rockstar i beg you!)
Some more recomendations from me would be.

-Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light (Fantastic atmosphere,Story is good,Easy to get into and just an allround fantastic game)
-Mafia 2 (This game needs no explanation)
-Max Payne 3 (Great third person shooter,dont need to play the prequels.Its by Rockstar its quality stuff)
-Batman Arkham Series (Its fucking Batman)
-Portal 1 & 2 (Puzzle game with some of the best writing you will ever hear)

+1 to Fallout New Vegas and Deus Ex Human Revolution aswell

Some older games
-Knights of the old republic 1 & 2.
Id recommend KOTOR 2 as the writing,Characters,Story and atmosphere in it is still fucking fantastic.
It does not need a good computer aswell to run also Restored Contents Mod is a must

-Vampire:The Masquerade Bloodlines (Sick of sparkly twats playing vampire? This is for you then)

Last edited:
A friend of mine is experimenting with gaming a bit. He tried out ME1+2 and enjoyed them to a degree, but he's hoping for a story that's more mature. He played The Last of Us and liked it a lot. Any suggestions? Games that are too old will probably scare him away.

The main games I recommended are TW2, Spec Ops: The Line (based on reviews, never played it myself) and BioShock 1 + 3. I also read often that Red Dead Redemption has a good story as well (though he only has a PS4, I think).

Stay away from the turd that is Spec Ops:The Line. Sure, the story might be a little better than in your average shoot'em up war game, but it's just another boring shooting gallery with chest-high walls. And the controls on PC are a joke for most of the time.

If you want a good war game, I recommend This War of Mine.

@gregski I'm actually surprised you don't like Spec Ops, especially given your "enjoyment" of This War of Mine. Sure, the gameplay's awful, but the story and some of the clever ways choice is implemetned more than made up for it imo.

Oh, I forgot how much violence this game has.

Didn't played in any new games of past two years, except for Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and The Walking Dead, but I agree with Blothulfur on Fallout: New Vegas it is a great game. And I still can't finish (even start) Bioshock: Infinite.

@gregski Now I definitely should check it out. Thanks. This War of Mine I mean. :)

Last edited:
@gregski I'm actually surprised you don't like Spec Ops, especially given your "enjoyment" of This War of Mine. Sure, the gameplay's awful, but the story and some of the clever ways choice is implemetned more than made up for it imo.

Well, it didn't make up for it in my case. I uninstalled it a few weeks ago after a few attempts to force myself through the "shoot baddies while you hang from the speeding truck" sequence. Sure, story was pretty good for a game about american-special-forces-soldiers-fighting-against-all-odds and I was hesitating if I should uninstall it. But I still did.

Well, it didn't make up for it in my case. I uninstalled it a few weeks ago after a few attempts to force myself through the "shoot baddies while you hang from the speeding truck" sequence. Sure, story was pretty good for a game about american-special-forces-soldiers-fighting-against-all-odds and I was hesitating if I should uninstall it. But I still did.

It's the kind of game that you need to beat to fully understand the story, until you reach a certain point, it seems fairly generic with flashes of intersting stuff. It's when you start getting the full picture that the game truly shines imo. I think you should give it a second chance.

Only thing I'll miss from switching to PC is Red Dead if they ever make another. Might have to get an xbone down the road just to play it alone if they do.

Top Bottom