The General Videogame Thread

+
Seems so much farther away than that. Hopefully we get info on some gameplay mechanics like alchemy soon

Even more MGSV PC opinions and info

Last edited:
Seems so much farther away than that. Hopefully we get info on some gameplay mechanics like alchemy soon

Even more MGSV PC opinions and info

I have never played a Metal Gear game but i think i will get this to see whats it all about.
Also supporting Japanese pc releases is good aswell ^^

I have never played a Metal Gear game but i think i will get this to see whats it all about.
Also supporting Japanese pc releases is good aswell ^^
Honestly, That's a pretty bad idea.

MGSV: GZ throws you right into the events right after peace walker. Ground Zeroes is short and for someone who has never played the series you probably won't get the a big piece of the content in it (The story). This isn't like The Witcher where you can play any of them without having played the previous ones. You will have no idea whats going on in the many no doubt lengthy cut scenes that will occur. You will have no emotional attachment to any of the characters and probably won't care as much about all the losses they have happen to them. The losses Big Boss feels are also losses the player feels if they had played the previous games. The theme of The Phantom Pain is revenge, race, and loss. The revenge and loss aspect really ties into both the characters in the game and what the players built up in previous games.

I'll detail spoilers for what I am talking about here. Spoilers more for Ground Zeroes than any other game. It really drives home why you shouldn't pick this up as your first MGS though.

In Peace Walker Big Boss (The player) forms MotherBase and Militaires Sans Frontières (Soldiers Without Borders) a mercenary army. Throughout the game you build mother base. An off shore platform that serves as the armies base of operations. You recruit soldiers, send them to fight, research, cook, etc. All to expand MotherBase and your army. it is a HUGE mechanic of the game.

In Ground Zeroes all that is destroyed. It's all sunken into the sea at the hands of an organization named Cipher. All the soldiers you recruited, trained, fed, sent to fight are all dead. All the work you put into that base in Peace walker is destroyed. Not only you as a player feels this loss and lust for revenge but also Big Boss and the people who survived the attack. This is all even more enforced in that Big Boss loses his arm as a result of this attack and his right hand man Miller loses his leg and his arm. Big Boss is put into a 9 year coma as well. The phantom pain starts 9 years after Ground Zeroes when Big Boss awakes from his 9 year coma. The title of the game is hence "The Phantom Pain" Phantom pain is the feeling of a limb or part of the body that has been removed still lingering.

Basically, MGSV is not a good place to start for people who have never played a MGS game before. There are recaps and everything, but they can only do so much. You will still be missing a lot. You really need to play the games that take place directly before MGSV. Metal Gear solid 3 and Peace walker are the two you should at least play before MGSV.

Here is the time line. I am not recommending you to play the entire series in Chronological order. If you want to play the series as a whole then play in release order. If you just care about MGSV though then play MGS3 and Peace walker.

Attachments

• QyfaFHx.jpg
    QyfaFHx.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 64
I've found this really interesting article from an italian site, I wanted to translate it, so forgive me for any mistake. It is a bit long

Source

"You give him the same story, either way he will not have the memory of it", Skiantos sang in the song Largo All'Avanguardia, adding two more stanzas right down "I like playing with the games I like to play, I have few but good." Nothing of this song had to do with video games, but today Freak Antoni's scream , provocation, fits perfectly with our favorite hobby. The idea is that finally the time to say enough has come, to the rampant ignorance, to your masochistic purchases, which often result in complaints of pain from the forum, and sudden dropouts, which transform hardcore gamer in uncertain stamp collectors. You have been duped, so duped, deceived, betrayed, cheated, and definitely we too have a bit of guilt, even us who work between the fence, between passion and professionalism: we were too busy to talk about the main course, the games , and we forgot about the decadent appearance of the reastaurant, of what was going on around us, around you, until the cobwebs have not started to fall on our plate, finally forcing us to look up and realize that...

... No matter if the game will turn out good or bad, no matter if who made it put his/her heart in it or it's the result of a cold quantum computing: months before the public has already decided whether to buy it or not, in the their head probably have even already given a vote, barricaded by so much of the confidence that no "professional" review will never tarnish. And it is not only a simple intention of purchase, as happened when everything was already messed up. Now, with the diabolical idea of the pre-order, you buy a title even six months before its release, and although it is possible to back out at any time, do it by choice and not for reasons of higher force (eg lack of money...) is a precious freedom that we take more and more rarely. You have complained about really silly things, you blew huge mess for not very polite practices, certainly, but surely secondary, you have even vomited insults to individual developers on social networks, carefully avoiding to do the only sensible thing: stop preorder. What rights can those who regardlessly rejects preorders expect? Sixty or more euro thrown into the fountain of desires, hoping each time that the bet will fruit well, do you think it is an acceptable attitude? Yet it is what happens, game after game it increasingly becomes a common practice. To make it even more attractive to who poorly trust the love of pre-order, publishers make trivial baits, but they make less sharp eyes glitter: "Who preorder will receive a gift: two ugly missions of 10 minutes each, the rare tiger weapon that is not worth anything after an hour of gameplay, the boots of violet death and the bike instead of making 'vroom vroom' sound will make 'sguish sguish!'. How can you resist such great nerdgasm?

And in fact you can't, and you run to the shop and pre-order the game, otherwise oh, they have sworn and sworn again to me, they'll have few games at the day-one and I maybe cannot find it... bullshit, that's what they are. Simply change shop, choose a store or a largest chainstore before, and you'll surely find a flood of that game. Buy on trust is wrong and counterproductive for us/you passionate gamers and for video games and all. Although we are obliged to speculation, we have no evidence, but when thinking the worst we often guess, we invite you to reflect on the last controversial games released: Destiny for example is a great title but poor in content, and who can say that this constipation is the fruit of preorders recorded by Bungie's game? Assassin's Creed Unity bugs could not just come from the certainty of Ubisoft to sell, regardless of quality, another result of its most popular series? By the way...

Let me say another thing: is not that this lack of courage of which we often accuse the developers, it actually is the lack of courage of the buyers? It is true that the crisis has made us all more cynical consumers, who want to minimize the risk, but to entrust our savings to the umpteenth sequel of a sequel (...of a sequel, of a sequel) is not a clever way to reduce the chances of a possible disappointment, indeed. You will say, but how can I throw my money in a game I know so little? Exactly the same way you may know about a game: dedicated streaming and specialized sites. After all we will give us information (and this may be naturally more or less valid), but you have to put the cunning and curiosity about the game you are interested in. You can blame the neighbor all the times you want, but if the charts reward always the same names the fault is only of you gamers who buy them. It is needless to put all the blame on the industry giants that do not invest in originality, if this does not repay the efforts at the box office is useless to start yet another flame or the usual useless online petition. And it is useless to even threaten the people involved when things do not go as planned.

Every software company has the sacred right to be wrong, and a rash purchase can not justify personal insults or threats that are sent daily to the parties involved through social networks . It seems almost a matter of treason, "I did not like the twentieth Call of Duty, someone has to pay for it!". This is not the relationship that there must be between a gamer and a software house; sure, there can be affection, trust, but to be blind always leads to disaster (and can be exchanged for stupidity). Who develops games (or console) will not owe you anything, and you do not owe anything to them. Those fuckers (with an affectionate tone, of course...) must earn your respect, and if things do not go as they should, hasta la byebye (quote) And you look for the competition, and everything else that offers the market (and is never little).

But feel offended or threatened... for which reason? We have only one way to vote what we believe is right and what wrong, and it is to open your wallet or not . It is important to always do it with a grain of salt, and maybe support with a direct purchase (not used game with which the shopkeeper sell you the usual monstrosities) what we really like. Because a used game is not always as beneficial as it may sound, but it is part of another vicious circle made of distressing magical carrots and toxic points card. And what is the result? We do not lend or exchange games anymore, we prefer to sell them as convertibles devalue in Siberia rather to start a healthy quality barter, just like old times. For every game rated 5 euro there's definitely some friend ready to exchange another one with you, or to give you twice as much, instead of the store where he buy that game three times more expensive. Reduce simple purchases to make more judicious ones, more heavy without sacrificing a sufficient number of games thanks to the network friendly gamers... well, it does not sound so bad. And you, do not you feel a little guilty? Let's talk.

Here, have a REDpoint for your efforts in translating this. Even when it's from the site that did that dreadful stream. I think I now have PTSD from it.

Anyway, on the article itself, I don't disagree, although I don't see the point in it. It's not really saying much that isn't obvious: "There is no need to be upset blah blah blah don't buy shitty games blah blah blah paying for something that doesn't exist yet is probably not the brightest idea etc."

Last edited:
Here, have a REDpoint for your efforts in translating this. Even when it's from the site that did that dreadful stream. I think I now have PTSD from it.

Anyway, on the article itself, I don't disagree, although I don't see the point in it. It's not really saying much that isn't obvious: "There is no need to be upset blah blah blah don't buy shitty games blah blah blah paying for something that doesn't exist yet is probably not the brightest idea etc."
Thank you. Yes, it can be obvious but it's something that needs to be reminded occasionally to certain people. :teeth:

Aw, I'm so sorry for that Super Botte & Bamba and its psychological harm, you'll recover some day... I hope.

http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/2mcies/as_an_exubisoft_employee/

"I was in a meeting personally with Yves Guillemot, who said that he doesn’t care about PC gamers because, and i quote “90% are pirates anyway”, that’s after a direct question from a well-respected, well paid programmer back in the late 2000s asking “why are our pc ports fucking shit?”, so we outsourced it all to Eastern Europe."

"We worked 50-70 hour per week (anything above 37 is unpaid). I’ve seen guys shamed for leaving at 5pm. We had to beg to have our deadline extended or we WOULD release a horrible broken mess. To miss our deadline we had to lose a few random workers."

"We can release a shit buggy game, or a good one a few months later, but we have to figure out which is better for our fiscal forecasts because each game from conception already has a release date and expected revenue for that fiscal period."

Screencap for those who dont want to go to Reddit

View attachment 7585

Attachments

• redditubi.PNG
    redditubi.PNG
    92.4 KB · Views: 48
I meant, when you said witcher, did you mean Final Fantasy :p
Well, No. I've never really played a final fantasy other than the one MMO for a few days. I know most of them are totally separate stories though. You don't really need to have played The Witcher 1 to be able to know what's going on in The Witcher 2. The Witcher 3 they say it's newcomer friendly too, but how true that is we'll have to see.

While The Witcher 1 and 2 are connected they aren't so connected you have to play TW1 before TW2. MGS is really connected for the most part, if you don't play MGS1 and 2 before 4 then you will have no idea what's going on. If you don't play MGS3 and Peace walker before MGSV you will have no idea what's going on. Making MGSV your first MGS game is a terrible idea. Even if you're only on PC you can still play MGS1, 2, 3, and peace walker.

This reviewer put it excellently

"Lets get this out of the way; Ground Zeroes is strictly for long-time Metal Gear fans. While most developers are happy to streamline their storylines to make their titles more approachable to newcomers, Kojima is not. In fact, you could call him a “narrative hoarder” of sorts. From strange inside jokes to convoluted plots, none have been abandoned in the series 27-year history. There’s no better example of this than Ground Zeroes. A prologue to the 4th sequel in a line of prequels leading up to the original 1987 MSX game Metal Gear. Are you still with me? If not you’re better off picking up Metal Gear: The Legacy Collection. "

You talked about emotional investment. If you don't play the previous Witcher games, you miss a huge portion of the game. I don't think it's a good example.

You talked about emotional investment. If you don't play the previous Witcher games, you miss a huge portion of the game. I don't think it's a good example.
True, not the best comparison, but we're on forum where I think everyone has played The witcher. I agree with you on the emotional investment bit. I think it's important on that front to always play all the games in a series. Overall though I think the story of TW2 can be understood without having played the previous game though. I can't say the same for MGSV. It's not made to suit both new comers and series veterans. It's made for series veterans and anyone else probably will be really lost.

I don't want this turning into some argument. Simply saying that it's a stupid idea to start the metal gear series with MGSV. Don't buy the game just because it's coming to PC and the previous games have praise. Save your money or spend it on the excellent HD/Legacy collection. Both of which are 60FPS and 720/1080p.

Only have a 360 and want to play MGS1? PC port or emulation. You can't play 4? Don't worry too much about 4. It's the last in the series timeline wise. Have a PS3? Great, pick up the Legacy collection (MGS1, 2, 3, 4, peace walker) and play in release order or the HD collection and a copy of MGS1 and 4. The HD collection/Legacy version of MGS3 even has the original MSX Metal Gear 1 and 2

You can even play MGS1 ,2, 3, and peace walker on PC through either emulation or play the PC versions of 1 and 2 and emulate 3 and PW.

Last edited:
I agree with what you said. but let me add a small detail...
I don't want this turning into some argument. Simply saying that it's a stupid idea to start the metal gear series with MGSV.
Neither with MGS4, some people did, and didn't understand a single thing. :p

I think MGS in one of the few series to not play following chronological order.

Yeah, playing through MGS3, Peace Walker and Phantom Pain before MG1 and 2 would be extremely dissapointing .

You spend so much time playing as legendary badass Big Boss, learning his backstory and motivations. Then suddenly he's killed by Solid Snake with aerosol can and a lighter.

I agree with what you said. but let me add a small detail...

Neither with MGS4, some people did, and didn't understand a single thing. :p

I think MGS in one of the few series to not play following chronological order.
Yeah, I don't understand why people say to play chronologically. It's just a terrible gameplay experience in general and you can't fully do a chronological playthrough yet.

Btw, MGSV specs. Don't look too bad to me. It will probably run on lower than what it says like MGR did. MGR says it needs an i5 but runs on toasters fine

View attachment 7624

Attachments

• mgscspecs.jpg
    mgscspecs.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
A new Ghost in the Shell game? Yes please. Doesn't look too shabby, even though it's an online game. Wish there was more cyber warfare elements to it, but oh wells. I just demand being able to play as a tachikoma (which the end kinda implies will be possible). A Yoko Kanno soundtrack would also be awesome, but I won't hold my breath.

Top Bottom