The General Videogame Thread

+
@Gilrond

Shroud of the Avatar was kickstarted a while ago, and I do think it has something to offer. Richard Garriot is the father of Ultima and Tracy Hickman is a good, well known author. BUT I think Garriot could have easily financed his own game, which sort of tainted this project for me.

I suppose, on the other hand, crowdfunding may go beyond financing since it lets people become stakeholders in software projects.

Of all the revivals, like Shadowrun and Wasteland, this one is the most meh, I think.

Two things bother me about SotA right now, i've got a few friends who are saying that it seems to be mainly focused on multiplayer, and single player just isn't what Ultima was. The second is Tracy Hickman as a writer, I read the follow up to the Dragonlance books a while ago (Dragons of Summer Flame?) and in my opinion he'd totally lost it. Pity because the Twins books were bloody good.

Messin' around in DMC3 Bloody Palace, and I managed to capture some hilarious moments, LOL:

- Can't touch me

Well, at least he tried xD

- Denied!

He tried as well LOL

- Hard trolling

Come on. I had to do it. I just had to.

I've had quite a few lucky breaks, but I've lost the first--and likely not the last--of my mighty comrades trying to save the queen in Fire Emblem :(

A Sumia, silly and kind Sumia. So unsure of yourself but always aiming to better yourself and help those around you. I'll never forget the day you lent me that wyvern novel, or would have guessed it would have let to our beautiful--if short lived marriage (seriously this game has marriage?! that was a quite curve ball indeed :p). And Ricken, sweet Ricken, a bright and loyal kid. His parent's cries as I deliver the news of his death and hand them an unfinished letter home will haunt me for the rest of my days.

After a very, very close battle where we saved the Queen for the first time, there was a character on the opposing side that had some dialogue which seem to indicate he was not necessarily ok with the murder operation. Since he was an enemy, we killed him anyway but his last words and the way in which he died implied we didn't need to. A few chapters later, a similar character appeared. After going through great lengths to protect a badass npc ally and make our way though waves of enemies to confront this character, I very stupidly overstretched everyone and payed dearly. Sumia was cut down, and man, her last words cut deep. In a rage, I left Ricken (who I paired with instead of my wife to advance his story and proved bonus exp) to avenge my wife. Just when I knew it couldn't get any worse, we were ambushed from the back, and Ricken, alone of unprotected, was quickly overrun by wyvern knights. In a ball punching of the cruelest irony, the npc ally joined my party afterwards and turned out to be a freaking priest when it was too late to do anything about their deaths. WHHYY CRUEL WORLD?!

Let us remember the fallen (and that Caribbean expansion for Mount and Blade looks awesome !).

I've had quite a few lucky breaks, but I've lost the first--and likely not the last--of my mighty comrades trying to save the queen in Fire Emblem :(

A Sumia, silly and kind Sumia. So unsure of yourself but always aiming to better yourself and help those around you. I'll never forget the day you lent me that wyvern novel, or would have guessed it would have let to our beautiful--if short lived marriage (seriously this game has marriage?! that was a quite curve ball indeed :p). And Ricken, sweet Ricken, a bright and loyal kid. His parent's cries as I deliver the news of his death and hand them an unfinished letter home will haunt me for the rest of my days.

After a very, very close battle where we saved the Queen for the first time, there was a character on the opposing side that had some dialogue which seem to indicate he was not necessarily ok with the murder operation. Since he was an enemy, we killed him anyway but his last words and the way in which he died implied we didn't need to. A few chapters later, a similar character appeared. After going through great lengths to protect a badass npc ally and make our way though waves of enemies to confront this character, I very stupidly overstretched everyone and payed dearly. Sumia was cut down, and man, her last words cut deep. In a rage, I left Ricken (who I paired with instead of my wife to advance his story and proved bonus exp) to avenge my wife. Just when I knew it couldn't get any worse, we were ambushed from the back, and Ricken, alone of unprotected, was quickly overrun by wyvern knights. In a ball punching of the cruelest irony, the npc ally joined my party afterwards and turned out to be a freaking priest when it was too late to do anything about their deaths. WHHYY CRUEL WORLD?!

Let us remember the fallen (and that Caribbean expansion for Mount and Blade looks awesome !).

Is all that an experience unique to your game (more or less)? It sounds amazing if it is.

Hehe, it is :yes The interactions the characters have with each other (and me :) ) seem very natural and its definitely my favorite part of the game, which is so impressive considering there are quite a few variations and relationships that can happen--or not depending on your actions on and off the field of battle :p There are some earlier moments in the game that really have me wondering what would have happened if I had lost these two characters earlier. Would something else have happened or nothing at all? Now I'm wondering whats going to without Sumia, who was basically the main NPC character's best friend.

I'm not certain just how much control my actions will have for the games outcome (and won't know until after I've played it again which will happen since its awesome), but it defiantly feels like there is quite a bit. If the Witcher 2, for instance, was more like Fire Emblem, Zoltan and Dandelion could have been hanged at the Flotsam gallows if Geralt was not quick enough. Even if the very end is more or less the same every time, the middle seems guaranteed to provide a unique experience each time its played.

The gameplay looks like every other 3rd person shooter. Graphics are well and good, but if you don't have the gameplay to back it up, then it just gets boring and dull.

The gameplay looks like every other 3rd person shooter.

Yes, I agree.

Voice acting, art direction and graphical fidelity are stellar. In these aspects The Order excels. The game is just beautiful, a feast, to a degree I haven't seen any shooter of this let alone past generations rival. In fact, as the above video tech review illustrates extensively, it has supplanted AC:U as the new standard for IQ against which future titles will be compared.

Still, the proposition is not compelling enough for me. I unapologetically hate QTEs. But it's a free market, as they say, and a free market is really a wonderful thing. If enough gamers deem those 10 hours, of which about half are actual gameplay, worth shelling roughly 50 quid out of their pockets for, then the Order will be a hit. This despite the fairly negative reviews it's getting from gaming journalists across the board. A sequel will be on the horizon. Ready at Dawn will be happy, fans of cinematic games will be happy. People who have given at times enthusiastic feedback on NeoGAF will be happy.

Even though as it is the game is not for me, I think such happiness is a good thing in its own right.

Last edited:
Bethesda has been silent a long time, so I expect a couple of huge reveals, but not a TES game. I'm guessing F04 and another action title or two.

Caribbean has been finished and released! I'm ready for some pirating on the high seas!
I saw that game on Steam. It looks like a solid iteration on the sand-box genre, and possibly the best Pirate simulator since Sid Meier's Pirates 2006.

Unfortunately, the user reviews on Steam are saying the developers pushed it out to release without about 50% of the promised features, which they claim they will add after release. Hopefully the developers make good on their promises, or else this will become just another promising concept that fell flat due to the lack of accountability that comes from Steam Early Access

The gameplay looks like every other 3rd person shooter. Graphics are well and good, but if you don't have the gameplay to back it up, then it just gets boring and dull.
Amongst everything The Order 1886 did wrong, in my opinion the worst thing is the lack of any branching storylines. What made Ready At Dawn think they could release a 7 hour, story-driven game without any narrative choice and charge $60 for it? It's not like The Walking Dead, Beyond Two Souls, Dragon Age, and The Witcher haven't all done it. And those are all longer than The Order.

Heck TW2 had more content that changed based on your choices than The Order 1886 has in the entire game...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Caribbean is on GOG, but many report it as buggy game with cut out content (though they promised some free expansions later on). Sounds like it's some beta release rather than a complete game. Did anyone try it in Wine?

They used "The Drunken Sailor" for the trailer:

[video=youtube;qGyPuey-1Jw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw[/video]

Last edited:
Awwww, I thought it was another expansion for Mount and Blade, but its an entirely new game based on the Warband engine :(

2 stars on GOG, a buggy mess and no Linux version........don't think I'll dip my spoon in this pot of stew.

Judging by the main thread, I wonder why not so many here are interested in Underworld Ascendant? It feels like it should be appealing to a major percentage of the Witcher community.

Last edited:
Top Bottom