The General Videogame Thread

+
You know what makes me really sad? The fact that the talents of Visceral Games were wasted on the likes of Hardline. The graphics sounds and animations are all telltale signs of very talented artists and development but their time was wasted on a souless CoD clone that is inferior to the last game in every way. All those years of studying and hard work to get to that level only to be wasted on a cash grab. I hope they will get better jobs elsewhere.

I dearly EA won't fuck up Star Wars: Battlefront. BF3 and BF4 (after all the great expansions) were fantastic and that is the quality I expect. I hope Hardline was a lesson for the devs making Battlefront.

Last edited:
Mm, mm, mm. Ship gore.

I'm still trying to understand why this game isn't exciting me, despite everything. Maybe it's just a counter-reaction to all the hype, I dunno.

I'm the same. It just seems too good to be true, so I'm ignoring it until they actually finish (Or should it be "if?") the thing.

Time to Vote Yes!

Exanima Greenlight LINK

Exanima is attempting to get "greenlit" on Steam and needs more "Yes" votes in order to do so. If anyone is interested in an innovative and immersive RPG with many unique gameplay elements nows the time to vote :like: :w00t:.

Explore, fight, survive and unravel mysteries in this unique and unforgiving 3D isometric RPG set in an original dark, low fantasy world. Exanima's exceptional attention to detail and realistic simulation of all things provide a deeply immersive and dynamic gameplay experience.

Features include a deep skill based combat system, complex and smart AI, fully interactive environments, an advanced damage model with accurate collisions and locational protection, roguelike elements and an arena mode to hone your combat skills.

"Those who would enter the underworld shall not only forfeit their own lives but bring oblivion to all mankind."

---------- Updated at 12:49 PM ----------

For people who want instant access to the alpha and beta versions that are currently out you can gain this here: LINK. They already have quite a bit of content and I've sunk well over 300 hours into playing them (in other words: well worth it!). Exanima's planned release date is April 2015.

Last edited:
Mm, mm, mm. Ship gore.

I'm still trying to understand why this game isn't exciting me, despite everything. Maybe it's just a counter-reaction to all the hype, I dunno.
Maybe because you kind of outgrew space combat simulators or they never really clicked with you in the first place?
To be frank, I couldn't care less about them these days, although I used to waste a great many hours on the Tie Fighters, Wing Commanders or Freelancers back then.

You got to give Roberts and Co some serious credit however, for being on the forefront of not only reviving an essentially dead genre but also trying to elevate it to something less niche and make it relevant again in the process. And I definitely can respect that.

Also trying to push the edge and exhaust the full potential of what's possible with current (and future) PC hardware always gets an 'A-OK' in my book.

@freakie1one that looks fucking sweet can't wait for April and yea I voted and im trying to get all gaming friends to vote as well for greenlight
Exanima really is amazing! It's hard to demonstrate how things work using videos and screenshots alone since it's one of those games that needs to be experienced firsthand to really understand it. There's nothing else like it to even compare it to since Bare Mettle is the first to use these mechanics.

With that being said I'll probably be streaming live gameplay later today for anyone who is interested in seeing what it's all about.

Singularity 2? Oh man, I've wanted a sequel for a while. I can see all the endings making a new game. I hope it's not a re-release, it seems odd to me to re-release a game like Singularity

Also, if you own GTA V on PS4/Xbox One then I wouldn't update your game. It seems they removed some graphical features and even made car collisions less detailed. I'm assuming to maintain a more stable FPS? Maybe it was a mistake on their part.

Description translated (Not a great translation)

This time we go with a VERY unfortunate comparison. It seems that by mistake or on purpose, Rockstar has cut in several graphic aspects GTAV for PS4 / ONE with the arrival of the last 2 updates. Complaints and rumors started when some users noticed that collisions of the vehicles had worsened and anisotropic filtering worse.

Therefore, I decided to reinstall the game in its vanilla version and what I have found beyond those two aspects:

- Worse anisotropic filtering.
- Grand cut in the parallax occlusion (earth, stones, gravel ...)
- Major popping (especially in traffic)
- Worse distance drawn (blurred)
- Cuts in the system of vehicle damage.

Last edited:
Timetable for today:

Game of Thrones Episode 3 finished.
Pillars of Eternity pre-load nearly finished.
Life is Strange Episode 2 is next. (and hopefully it will have less sjw bait in it than the first one)

@freakie1one

Is Exanima coming out on GOG? How much is it going to be?

Their release plan is going to go something like this for Exanima: initial release on Steam Greenlight Early Access (to get more publicity and raise awareness of the game without having to spend money on PR and advertising). While the game is on Steam Early Access they are going to keep adding more and more content and features to Exanima (which are also necessary to complete Sui Generis) as free updates. Once they have added all the necessary features required to complete Sui Generis then focus will shift to finishing Sui Generis. At this point they would like to start selling Exanima on other sites as well (GOG included). Their games will always be available to be purchased directly from the Bare Mettle Entertainment site with absolutely no DRM.

As far as costs go Bare Mettle has not given a specific price yet but they have mentioned how it will work. They will offer several packages; one will be just for Exanima and it will be sold at a relatively low price. The other will include access to both Exanima and Sui Generis (when it is released) and it will cost a bit more (closer to the price of a typical game). Anyone who has made a contribution on either Kickstarter or directly via the Bare Mettle Entertainment site (before Exanima is released on Steam) will receive access to both games and this is obviously the cheapest way to get both games; however, this option will no longer be possible once the game is released on Steam since they are closing the crowd-funding at that point. Also note that this is the only way to gain access to their insider forums which allows you to communicate directly with the devs.

I was streaming the Exanima beta live the other day and all of the devs showed up to my stream and started answering people's questions and chatting with the people watching. It was really cool and you can tell just how passionate the devs are about their games :).

---------- Updated at 03:44 AM ----------

I also wanted to say thanks to anyone who voted yes on the Exanima Greenlight page. Within two days the game has already skyrocketed into the top 10 games! Very exciting and 91% of the votes have been positive so far :). If anyone has yet to vote it would be very much appreciated; let's keep the momentum going!

Last edited:
Last year interview with Flying Wild Hog developers, where they talk about their engine and graphics APIs like DX, OpenGL and Mantle.

A notable part:

DSOGaming: The latest version of OpenGL is said to support some of the features that are introduced via Mantle. Will the Road Hog Engine support OpenGL and what’s your opinion on OpenGL? Is it better or worse than DirectX?
KN: Both are fine APIs. The main issue with OpenGL is that it isn’t very popular on Windows, so IHVs spend most of their resources on DirectX drivers. That’s why OpenGL drivers are slower and have more bugs. Additionally if you aren’t a big studio or you name isn’t John Carmack it’s hard to get those performance issues and bugs fixed. Of course should we decide to support Steam Box, Linux or Mac, then we will also add OpenGL support to RoadHog.

That's the attitude I like! And now they probably actually did it, since they are releasing the Shadow Warrior for Linux and OS X.

Top Bottom