The General Videogame Thread

+
I may have found the best video game ad ever:

Guess what? Creative Assembly have started censoring their forums and are no longer replying to questions on social media. It looks like they have pure contempt for Warhammer fans as well as their own. You just have to look on their YouTube channel to see all the dislikes they're getting on their most recent video. Bloody idiots!

Guess what? Creative Assembly have started censoring their forums and are no longer replying to questions on social media. It looks like they have pure contempt for Warhammer fans as well as their own. You just have to look on their YouTube channel to see all the dislikes they're getting on their most recent video. Bloody idiots!

What's the hubbub about? That day one DLC?

What's the hubbub about? That day one DLC?

Yeah and the fact it's clearly a finished part of the game that they're just ripping out and offering for pre-orders. Also they'll mostly likely sell it further down the line for £10. It's an entire faction they're ripping out for flip's sake!

Yeah and the fact it's clearly a finished part of the game that they're just ripping out and offering for pre-orders. Also they'll mostly likely sell it further down the line for £10. It's an entire faction they're ripping out for flip's sake!

Still less than in their previous games, where it were 2-3 factions of a specific cultural background (Vikings in Attila and Greeks in Rome 2). :p

So, actually we should hail them for witholding less*! :stoptrolling:

*may contain traces of sarcasm.

Still less than in their previous games, where it were 2-3 factions of a specific cultural background (Vikings in Attila and Greeks in Rome 2). :p

So, actually we should hail them for witholding less*! :stoptrolling:

*may contain traces of sarcasm.

It's Chaos they're holding back. They're a major faction dammit! :angry:

I'm just really pissed off about this. I guess I should find something to get rid of this anger.

Anyone have any experience getting Pirates! to run (the 1987 version, not Gold or the 2004 remake, both of which work fine)? I can get it started about 75% of the time and pass the copy protection, but the game constantly freezes up and/or bugs out once I visit the governor's mansion at the very beginning. I don't have a great deal of experience with DOSBox and typically use D-Fend to get around my technological ineptitude, but I don't know what to do in this situation. Do I just keep downloading different versions of DOSBox until I find something that actually works? I've tried all three display modes that come up when starting the game, as well as messing with the cycles, changing random settings I didn't understand, and swearing at the computer. None of that seems to have had any effect, though the swearing at least made me feel a bit better. I've also tried the newest version of D-Fend I could find, and it automatically set up the game, but now it freezes as soon as I get into the first town after the initial sword fight:

I may have found the best video game ad ever:
My soul hurts.

Anyone have any experience getting Pirates! to run (the 1987 version, not Gold or the 2004 remake, both of which work fine)? I can get it started about 75% of the time and pass the copy protection, but the game constantly freezes up and/or bugs out once I visit the governor's mansion at the very beginning.

I played the Gold version, so not sure how well the original runs in DosBox. Did you get your version from GOG? They run "loadfix" before actual game in their dosbox config.

See http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/LOADFIX

It might be a workaround related to your crash.

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: 227
I played the Gold version, so not sure how well the original runs in DosBox. Did you get your version from GOG? They run "loadfix" before actual game in their dosbox config.
Steam, actually. I think I got it in a bundle, but Steam only sets up Gold (and even then, not very well). Thanks for that bit of info—the loadfix seems to have worked in the newer version of D-Fend.

@227: You should better buy such games on GOG next time. ;) They spend some significant effort figuring out how to solve similar issues.
True, true, though I've encountered some pretty appalling exceptions. They didn't do anything to help avoid the constant crashes or the impossibility of the bell puzzle in Silver, for example. There are even cutscenes that don't trigger. Stuff like that has a way of eroding the faith somewhat.

True, true, though I've encountered some pretty appalling exceptions. They didn't do anything to help avoid the constant crashes or the impossibility of the bell puzzle in Silver, for example. There are even cutscenes that don't trigger. Stuff like that has a way of eroding the faith somewhat.

Does it work with Steam though? Is it just a problem with it being "old"?

It seems to me the way GOG packs DOS games is easier to deal with. For instance, making them run in Linux is quite easy even without their support, using the provided DOSBox configuration file.

Does it work with Steam though? Is it just a problem with it being "old"?
I don't think the game is even available on Steam.

It's definitely a problem of the game's age (the bell puzzle is tied to CPU speed or something bizarre like that, so powerful hardware combined with fixed-length animations can make the timing very literally impossible), but I've seen GOG confirm in various other game release threads that they've somehow managed to fix these types of long-lingering problems in other games. I think it'd go a long way to at least contact the person who made the save-anywhere utility for the game that allows you to glitch through the door and try to officially distribute it, but they've seemed content to leave users to dig through their forums for that solution and hope that the mediafire download link is still alive. Definitely one of the more frustrating purchases I've made there.

I don't think the game is even available on Steam.

It's definitely a problem of the game's age (the bell puzzle is tied to CPU speed or something bizarre like that, so powerful hardware combined with fixed-length animations can make the timing very literally impossible), but I've seen GOG confirm in various other game release threads that they've somehow managed to fix these types of long-lingering problems in other games. I think it'd go a long way to at least contact the person who made the save-anywhere utility for the game that allows you to glitch through the door and try to officially distribute it, but they've seemed content to leave users to dig through their forums for that solution and hope that the mediafire download link is still alive. Definitely one of the more frustrating purchases I've made there.

Got it confused with the other one, my mistake. And yes I have experienced that same problem in other games. Shouldn't DOSBox help you address that, since you can change the number of CPU cycles you simulate?

Shouldn't DOSBox help you address that, since you can change the number of CPU cycles you simulate?
It's not an MS-DOS game, though. Or can you use DOSBox with just about anything? Like I mentioned earlier, I don't have much experience with the program.

Either way, I ended up fighting my way to the end of the game back when I played it, and it really isn't worth all the effort you have to put into it. Just kind of a second-rate game all around despite some of its more fanatical loyalists proclaiming it a Final Fantasy killer. The Dreamcast version is actually pretty good, though. Better options (you can turn on subtitles and voices instead of having to choose one of the other like in the PC version), better controls, and no bugs.

Just finished Life is strange. Didn't expect to like it and I did.

edit: there is apparently an uproar about the ending. People wanted a "feel good" ending, and both endings of LiS are, to say the least, bittersweet.
What's with people and endings that are a little more complex than a Bollywood movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom