The General Videogame Thread

+
Bought Dying Light: Enhanced Edition.

Blimey. Probably the first zombie game that I've ever liked. The story isn't that great and neither are the characters but the gameplay is super addicting. Pleasantly surprised :)

Oh and it looks great and runs without a hitch. I have everything on high @ 3440x1440 (HBAO is disabled) and apart from minor drops during cut scenes [when the heavy DoF effect kicks in], it runs solid 60fps. :)

Last edited:
The gameplay and parkour look amazing in Dying Light. I just can't get into zombies, but I'm keeping an eye on Techland's games. TR has been patched:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/02/13/se...patch-addresses-gpu-issues-graphics-glitches/

Good to see they're supporting the game. It also won over TW3 in the writers guild ceremony....

Yeah, that award was kinda ridiculous, as much as I have a lot of fun playing TR :) Which games were the other candidates, aside from TW3? I'm sure - even if TW3 did not win it - there are games there that deserve the award more than TR...

The gameplay and parkour look amazing in Dying Light. I just can't get into zombies, but I'm keeping an eye on Techland's games. TR has been patched:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/02/13/se...patch-addresses-gpu-issues-graphics-glitches/

Good to see they're supporting the game. It also won over TW3 in the writers guild ceremony....

I was stunned that it won over Pillars or TW3. I hear that SOMA also has good writing? Life is Strange? Probably some others I haven't played. But then I read that only games written by members of the guild are eligible for the reward, so the decision makes sense (even if that structure makes it pointless). Here are the previous winners:

The Last of Us: Left Behind (2014)
Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation (2013)
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (2012)
Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (2011)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2009)
Dead Head Fred (2008).

So it sounds like Street Fighter 5 isn't feature complete. No arcade mode...really Capcom??

[video]http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/15/street-fighter-5-review?watch[/video]

The free open beta for The Division is available now for download and play on Steam if anyone is interested. It's lasting until the 21st. Personally, I'm unsure what to do.

I've been craving to play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 recently, but since both my CDs for that game are at home, I ended up deciding to give HoMM7 a try instead.

It seems okay so far. It lacks the charm and artwork of 3, but the monsters seem a bit more varied and interesting, and giving the heroes in the campaigns voices is making it fun. There's some pretty decent voice acting tbh.

I'm going to try out the map editor now, since that was my fave part of 3. Hopefully it will be good.

edit: update on the map editor: it is confusing and I'm still trying to work out how to put water onto the map. This may take a while....

edit2: Okay so I figured out how to get water to work on the map but then it crashed and now it keeps crashing. Damn Ubisoft broke this game hard

Last edited:
If the map editor for HoMM7 didn't lag so badly (it's really annoying) it might actually be a decent game. But there are hardly any scenario maps pre-built, so it looks like if I want a good scenario that isn't part of the main quest i'll have to build it myself.

I think it's awful how Ubisoft have released this game in the state it's in. I'm playing the game after it's been patched too, so I don't even want to think about what it was like pre-patches.

I picked of Eye of the North and went back to GW1 :D The nostalgia is real. Ah for the days when elite missions would tie up the phone thanks to our friend dial-up internet. The music, the maps, the dungeons, the characters, the story, o why did I ever leave? There is still a dedicated community but if you want to do some of the content solo, you certainly can because the hero system's party AI is incredible. Its nice not having baby sit companions for a change. I'm just enjoying running through campaigns like big nostalgia mop :D Hopefully I'll have my characters loaded up with the new skills and gear by the 10th year anniversary in April :)

If the map editor for HoMM7 didn't lag so badly (it's really annoying) it might actually be a decent game. But there are hardly any scenario maps pre-built, so it looks like if I want a good scenario that isn't part of the main quest i'll have to build it myself.

I think it's awful how Ubisoft have released this game in the state it's in. I'm playing the game after it's been patched too, so I don't even want to think about what it was like pre-patches.

It's awful, the first HOMM game I genuinely dislike. You can tell nobody game a fuck while making it.

It's awful, the first HOMM game I genuinely dislike. You can tell nobody game a fuck while making it.

It's shameful that they managed to make a game almost 20 years later than Might and Magic 3, and it runs worse. The main campaign is good enough I suppose, but I'd like the freedom to do other things, and there are only 5 scenario maps to choose from :/ the rest are just skirmishes.

That said, I am slowly learning how to use the HoMM7 map editor, and i'm hoping in a few days time I might have a map ready to play. I just... don't understand why it lags. I'm getting 15 FPS for the game, and yet on this same machine I can 30 for the Witcher 3. Surely at this point Ubisoft are just trying to kill the franchise so they can stop making the games? That's how it feels.

It's shameful that they managed to make a game almost 20 years later than Might and Magic 3, and it runs worse. The main campaign is good enough I suppose, but I'd like the freedom to do other things, and there are only 5 scenario maps to choose from :/ the rest are just skirmishes.

That said, I am slowly learning how to use the HoMM7 map editor, and i'm hoping in a few days time I might have a map ready to play. I just... don't understand why it lags. I'm getting 15 FPS for the game, and yet on this same machine I can 30 for the Witcher 3. Surely at this point Ubisoft are just trying to kill the franchise so they can stop making the games? That's how it feels.

Eh, if you really want to make maps make for 3 or 5.

Eh, if you really want to make maps make for 3 or 5.

If I had 3 still installed on my laptop I would, but after a few months ago when Windows 10 murdered my laptop (and all its files) I forgot to re-install it, and now my CDs are a few hundred miles away. So I decided to try out Heroes 7.

It's a shame because the game looks so pretty, and the design choices available in 7 make it a lot more flexible in terms of what I can do, but having to wait 20 seconds for the map to deal with me changing terrain brushes is a nightmare.

I've been craving to play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 recently, but since both my CDs for that game are at home, I ended up deciding to give HoMM7 a try instead.

It seems okay so far. It lacks the charm and artwork of 3, but the monsters seem a bit more varied and interesting, and giving the heroes in the campaigns voices is making it fun. There's some pretty decent voice acting tbh.

I'm going to try out the map editor now, since that was my fave part of 3. Hopefully it will be good.

edit: update on the map editor: it is confusing and I'm still trying to work out how to put water onto the map. This may take a while....

edit2: Okay so I figured out how to get water to work on the map but then it crashed and now it keeps crashing. Damn Ubisoft broke this game hard

Have you tried Heroes of Might and Magic IV? It's actually a pretty good game, especially considering that it was made when 3DO and New World Computing were both on the verge of bankruptcy. The art design is more colorful and reminiscent of Heroes 2, and the soundtrack reminds me a lot of the Skellige theme in Wild Hunt. The main drawback of that title is that it doesn't have a random map generator, so you have to make them by hand, and some people take issue with the changed combat perspective, heroes fighting in battle and wandering troops. Still, it's worth a try and certainly better than anything that Ubisoft is pumping out. The original games under New World Computing had a certain charm that the newer titles just don't seem able to recapture, and I miss the old characters like Roland and Archibald.

I'd keep an eye out on GoG from time to time, too. They usually have sales on the Heroes franchise, and sometimes you can pick them up for as little as $3.99.

Have you tried Heroes of Might and Magic IV? It's actually a pretty good game, especially considering that it was made when 3DO and New World Computing were both on the verge of bankruptcy. The art design is more colorful and reminiscent of Heroes 2, and the soundtrack reminds me a lot of the Skellige theme in Wild Hunt. The main drawback of that title is that it doesn't have a random map generator, so you have to make them by hand, and some people take issue with the changed combat perspective, heroes fighting in battle and wandering troops. Still, it's worth a try and certainly better than anything that Ubisoft is pumping out. The original games under New World Computing had a certain charm that the newer titles just don't seem able to recapture, and I miss the old characters like Roland and Archibald.

I'd keep an eye out on GoG from time to time, too. They usually have sales on the Heroes franchise, and sometimes you can pick them up for as little as $3.99.

I actually own Heroes 4, (I bought it after getting Heroes 3 bc I loved it so much) but I remember having no idea how to get it to work. I don't know if I had a broken copy or something but I just remember being really disappointed when I tried to play it and couldn't get past the first screen. When I go home I'll have to try and find my old CD and give it another try.

I'm still sad 3DO went bankrupt :( HoMM3 is one of my fave games of all time, and it's ridiculous that Ubisoft had such a genius framework to begin with, and THIS is where they took it. Ugh.

I think there are legitimate arguments on both sides. For some games, I feel as though I should have paid more than what I did, because the game had so much content and I enjoyed it a lot. On the other hand, I know there are companies that sell games for 60 quid that don't run properly, are glitched af, broken messes, and then fail to provide any meaningful support to customers that have problems with the game.

But then for me, if I see a game that I think I'd like, but I think it's over-priced, I just wait until it goes on sale.

I think there are legitimate arguments on both sides.

Same here. Value for money varies for the individual, and sales address that - I have a LOT of games wishlisted at Steam waiting for the price to drop.

In general, I think that if a game provides more hours of entertainment per dollar than say a movie, then there's no justification for complaining about the price, you just wait for that sale. But as soon as you compare the price of two games, there are huge disparities in the "hours per dollar" pricing, often in ways that you can't relate to the cost of making the game.

Top Bottom