The General Videogame Thread

+
I think there are legitimate arguments on both sides.

Definitely agree. And of course that changes from game to game, taste of the person, and your economic situation I would believe. For example I wouldn't pay $60 for Battlefront, especially not after having played the original Battlefront games with all their content. So it is overpriced "for me". But games like Witcher 3, for example, are underpriced, again for me. I could have easily justified myself to pay more for Witcher 3.

But I also understand the point made by the unknown indie devs. They don't have the media coverage and budget advantages, so it's much more harder for a person to think it's actually a justified expenditure, paying $20 for their game. Of course this is not true for all indie games (games like Darkest Dungeon come to mind with good media coverage - but I concur, that game is awesome), but I'd say it's true for a huge percentage of them.

It indeed depends on the game. For some games like Pillars of Eternity I don't mind paying $60 when they launch. For others? I'd probably wait for a sale, like for Divinity: Original Sin for instance which got their Linux version delayed for a very long time (and bizarrely was released on Steam with a major discount, but not on GOG, which prompted me not to buy it and wait until next such sale). Probably same story will be with TW3. I.e. value depends on several factors and I'm more willing to pay full price when developers don't treat users as second class citizens.

---------- Updated at 11:34 PM ----------

Another interesting question to add to that. What should be the value of full backer tier (let's say game + soundtrack) for a crowdfunded game? For instance Psychonauts 2 asked $69 for it which is quite high for such campaign. Compare it to Underworld Ascendant ($25), The Bard's Tale IV ($25 + $15 = $40) and etc.

Last edited:
I feel like giving Baldur's Gate 1 a second go after the first one didn't end up so well, and I'm looking for advice on two questions:

1) What is a comfortable build for easy mode? I'm not interested in the combat mechanics at all and I just want to experience the characters and story.
2) How should I go about exploration? Should I scour every area, top to bottom?

1) What is a comfortable build for easy mode? I'm not interested in the combat mechanics at all and I just want to experience the characters and story.

Human fighter is usually the safest, I've found. For party construction, I recommend at least one thief and one mage/cleric who can do the healz, and then just add whoever you want. On easy, that should be enough.

Also explore a little bit early on if you're really not into getting your arse kicked so soon, level up a bit.

Yes. There are so many weird and wonderful things you'll bump into. So many weird people. So good. Also keep an eye out for random items to loot -- I don't mean in barrels, but in trees and grass and other random sorts of places on any map. There's probably a place you can look online if you're in it for the loot and not the uhh... traditional scavenging experience.

Unrelated, I just managed to get Myth: The Fallen Lords to work on my machine ;~; s-so good. I'm not sure if it's just the nostalgic effect but I feel like the AI is cleverer than most other RTS' i've played. The opponent's units seem to actually try and lure you out into favourable areas for attack and successfully guess when I'm trying to do the same to them. The only thing that shits me so far is that even though I have the cutscene files, I still don't get the cutscenes : ( or even the mission briefings which were my favourite part as a child.

how can you deny such a gloomy narrator

: '(

Last edited:
I feel like giving Baldur's Gate 1 a second go after the first one didn't end up so well, and I'm looking for advice on two questions:

Honestly, I'd recommend playing it in co-op with friends, best if you have one or more people in the group that have beaten the game before and know what they're doing.

That way you're only ever taking care of 1-2 characters yourself, you get some "hand-holding" from the experienced player - they know what to do and where to go - and then there's obviously just the fact that you're playing with friends, which is always fun.

If you do wanna play it single player, though, pretty much what fish said.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd see this happening.

Huh. Look at that. I've never been big into Ubisoft (although Black Flag was great). All the same, here's hoping they hold off the man. In my view of history, gaming companies rarely get better when they're bought out by corporate overlords.

This is surprisingly accurate.

Attachments

• Xmt5JA3.png
    Xmt5JA3.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 46
Isn't Vivendi the one who owns Activision-Blizzard, and has been trying to sell them for years? One has to wonder why they're buying another video-game company...

Top Bottom