The General Videogame Thread

+
FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!!

Yeah, not bad at all. I could see that being used as a wallpaper or poster. So they've got the art style right, but what about the game itself?

Last edited:
@Alan989

No reloading, no regenerating health, no taking cover, carry all weapons, blood and brains all over the place, non linear exploration. What more could you want?

These are alternative cover arts btw.

@Alan989

No reloading, no regenerating health, no taking cover, carry all weapons, blood and brains all over the place, non linear exploration. What more could you want?

These are alternative cover arts btw.

That sounds fine, but what about game speed? I don't want to be playing a slow, sluggish modern shooter when I'm playing Doom, I want it to be fast paced and at 60 FPS.

That sounds fine, but what about game speed? I don't want to be playing a slow, sluggish modern shooter when I'm playing Doom, I want it to be fast paced and at 60 FPS.

It's not as fast as the OG Doom but it's definitely faster than most shooters. If you compare it to classic Doom it's somewhere between the default speed and sprint.

It's not as fast as the OG Doom but it's definitely faster than most shooters. If you compare it to classic Doom it's somewhere between the default speed and sprint.

After playing Shadow Warrior it's kind of difficult to go back to ordinary shooters, so it's easy to see why I'm concerned right? I really want Doom to be at that level.

After playing Shadow Warrior it's kind of difficult to go back to ordinary shooters, so it's easy to see why I'm concerned right? I really want Doom to be at that level.

It's a bit faster than SW. I playted the MP Alpha. It's not as fast as the original Doom. No mainstream shooter will ever be again because it would be a nightmare to make it work on controllers and AAA cost a tens of millions of dollars (which they have make back). The good part is that it only needs to be fast enough to dodge projectiles and be faster than most shooters. Besides, you can get upgrades that make you faster.

I liked SW but it felt a bit amateurish in some places such as the awful guns and some dodgy textures here and there. SW2 looks a lot better and I will definitely get that too.

---------- Updated at 06:23 PM ----------

Also, don't forget to check this baby out. It's made by the people who made Painkiller (which I have to admit I despise)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1129101562/inner-chains

Last edited:
I

Also, don't forget to check this baby out. It's made by the people who made Painkiller (which I have to admit I despise)

Yeah I can see the Painkiller influence along with some of Doom. I'd rather wait till it actually gets released as I don't like Kickstarter all that much. I've only ever backed one game and that was Kingdom Come.

It's a bit faster than SW. I playted the MP Alpha. It's not as fast as the original Doom. No mainstream shooter will ever be again because it would be a nightmare to make it work on controllers and AAA cost a tens of millions of dollars (which they have make back). The good part is that it only needs to be fast enough to dodge projectiles and be faster than most shooters. Besides, you can get upgrades that make you faster.

I liked SW but it felt a bit amateurish in some places such as the awful guns and some dodgy textures here and there. SW2 looks a lot better and I will definitely get that too.

Cost should have nothing to do with the speed and tempo of combat, I'm not sure where you get that idea. It's all down to their design approach. And I certainly hope it's not designed for a controller. On PC, they need to adjust whatever necessary so it stays at 60 FPS and plays well with M&K. If an indie team in Poland can do it, id software better be able to.

Cost should have nothing to do with the speed and tempo of combat, I'm not sure where you get that idea. It's all down to their design approach. And I certainly hope it's not designed for a controller. On PC, they need to adjust whatever necessary so it stays at 60 FPS and plays well with M&K. If an indie team in Poland can do it, id software better be able to.

It does have a lot to do with cost. Let's face it, PC exclusive single player games would a huuuge risk. For this game it would be true even more since it's had a very rocky development cycle since 2008, with multiple restarts. No way they could make all that money back and a profit just with PC. High speed, precision aiming combined with ultra fast speeds of OG Doom don't work well at all on console. It would be a nightmare. It does work on the console versions of the original Doom because you can't aim up and down and there is a small degree of autoaim. Take Quake 3 and imagine playing it on a controller. It would be awful If I were a developer I would have to make this decision too. Even Witcher 3 was obviously made with console in mind.

Changing the speed is not as easy as you say. It would be like changing the tempo of a song. It could break the levels since they were made with that speed in mind. Balancing the console version speed with a faster PC speed would be an utter nightmare...it would be like making and testing two versions of the game. Therefore, the most logical choice is to make it console first. Let's face it, AAA games cost a shit ton of money but the irony is that more money doesn't necessarily give you more freedom. Sure, it lets you add as much polish as you want, hire the best artists, programmers (and lots of them) but the costlier a game is the riskier it becomes. They can't afford to let this game be a financial flop.

Besides, the speed in Doom is even slightly faster than SW (and can be made faster), has no reloading (which SW has) and this is important because it doesn't slow down the game, no regenerating health (SW has that heal spell) and no sprinting. All I was saying is that no AAA shooter will ever be as fast as the original Doom. Doom 4 isn't, Shadow Warrior 2 isnt

The SW team has decades of experience and in an interview they mentioned that every guy on their team is a veteran. They may be indie but they are not some ragtag group of newbies.

And the Inner Chains guys may be indie but they have also have a ton of experience, maybe decades. Besides the art style, we're still not sure what else the game offers. It might even be a short 4-5 hour game. The 15$ price tag seems suspect.

P.S Isn't it cheaper to develop games in Poland?

Last edited:
https://www.vg247.com/2016/02/26/doom-1080p-60-fps-xbox-one-ps4-pc/

I wish it the best. I want the game to succeed, but I've no illusions. Blizzard is going to take over this old school shooter revival with Over Watch. For better or worse.

I'm off to try SW and Hard Reset with a controller. Time to educate myself.

Not sure what's wrong in that article. That it's locked at 60FPS? I don't really care. I don't have a 120Hz monitor. Besides, their Lead Programmer said they'd like to add 120Hz in but it's all dependent on how much time they have left. I can't find the tweet

Also, Overwatch is a MP-only game. We haven't had a proper Single Player old school shooter since the 90s. Serious Sam, Painkiller and Shadow Warrior all misrepresent what those shooters stood for. I'm sure the new Doom will have stuff that will piss me off but so far it and Shadow Warrior 2 seem to deliver.

As for SW and Hard Reset on a controller, those games are far FAR slower than the original Doom. What I was saying was that speed would be a nightmare on a controller. Would be even worse with vertical aiming. If you really want to see what I mean then try Quake Live with a gamepad. I dare you.

Last edited:
Not sure what's wrong in that article. That it's locked at 60FPS? I don't really care. I don't have a 120Hz monitor. Besides, their Lead Programmer said they'd like to add 120Hz in but it's all dependent on how much time they have left. I can't find the tweet

Also, Overwatch is a MP-only game. We haven't had a proper Single Player old school shooter since the 90s. Serious Sam, Painkiller and Shadow Warrior all misrepresent what those shooters stood for. I'm sure the new Doom will have stuff that will piss me off but so far it and Shadow Warrior 2 seem to deliver.

As for SW and Hard Reset on a controller, those games are far FAR slower than the original Doom. What I was saying was that speed would be a nightmare on a controller. Would be even worse with vertical aiming. If you really want to see what I mean then try Quake Live with a gamepad. I dare you.

Turns out SW and HR have solid gamepad support, but unsurprisingly I hate it anyway. I don't see how they're that much slower but it's moot. I look forward to Doom.

KC beta is out.

Turns out SW and HR have solid gamepad support, but unsurprisingly I hate it anyway. I don't see how they're that much slower but it's moot. I look forward to Doom.

KC beta is out.

Both of those are much slower than Quake Live and Doom 2. Now try Quake Live with a gamepad.

Damn, KC: D looks awesome. :D

Very late but I finally picked up Metal Gear Solid TPP properly on my PC rather than the playing the few times I seem to be home now - It's actually pretty good! I was pretty awful at first, alerted a base filled with like 30 Russian Spetsnaz troops and spent 10 minutes running around the base to come in the other side, it worked though ahah, they were all on the other side of the base still. MGO is actually quite fun too, but I am bad ahah.

Very late but I finally picked up Metal Gear Solid TPP properly on my PC rather than the playing the few times I seem to be home now - It's actually pretty good! I was pretty awful at first, alerted a base filled with like 30 Russian Spetsnaz troops and spent 10 minutes running around the base to come in the other side, it worked though ahah, they were all on the other side of the base still. MGO is actually quite fun too, but I am bad ahah.

I had absolutely blast with MGS! Such an engaging gameplay and how well it was optimized, my god. :) Not exactly living up to be MGS though, but in every other aspect the game is very solid. Didn't try MGO but heard it's quite fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom