The General Videogame Thread

+
Already picked up Deus Ex: MD and Dishonored 2 - even if they'll come as disappointment, I need to see it myself. But Deus Ex MD should tie-up three storylines in one (Human Revolution, Icarus Effect, first Deus Ex), and Dishonored just looks very promising from every angle - a lot of potential in both games.

Another must-buy for me this year is Syberia 3, didn't think it'll actually happen someday. Also going to buy South Park, but maybe next year.

As for DoW 3...well, still looks better than DoW 2, at least base building is back

I saw Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on sale for 80p at a charity shop today. I already own 2 copies of the game but damn if I wasn't tempted to buy it again. I felt sad seeing it sat there unloved next to Diablo 2.

This could be good, but it still needs work.

[video=youtube;Iz6e-64mj2Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz6e-64mj2Q[/video]

Played our first session of Witcher D&D last night, was so much fun.

We got ambushed by a group of Scoia'tael while we slept - One of our dwarves hit is head on an arrow that landed above his head as he slept and dropped his crossbow while the rest of us ran up to face them (I stayed a little behind because my character is pretty bad at combat) our Dwarf managed to load his crossbow and nailed one of the Elves in the head with a bolt, our Halfling (who changed from a Dwarf to have more races aha) sliced one of their bellies open and our Nilfgaardian deserter dug his sword into one of their knee's bringing him down I jumped forward and stabbed him in the eye with a stiletto (Our GM is really good with gory detail aha) then our Temerian and an Elf started fighting up close and were rolling around on the floor trying to stab each other til one of us killed him.

It was really intense and so much fun. We've not had much combat other than that so far just been avoiding the armies.

After some CIV VI gameplay's from E3, I start to actually like the game.
Still don't agree with artstyle (what's with all the devs suddenly wanting to go with cartoony artstyle and saying it's for making the gameplay more clear?),
but love night and day mechanic and the change to cities (wonders look amazing now).

With that said, no pre-orders of course.

After seeing the larger cities in Civ VI, I agree with the cartoony art style. If they would have gone for detailed realistic looking textures, it would have started to look noisy real fast. This seems way more easier on the eyes and easier to make out distinctive buildings etc.

To be honest I am even surprised people even care that much about graphics for a civilization game, as long as the core gameplay is great it could look like Civ IV for all I care.

To be honest I am even surprised people even care that much about graphics for a civilization game, as long as the core gameplay is great it could look like Civ IV for all I care.

Surprised? Really? Look at this or any other gaming forum, mostly people talk/bitch/fap about/at graphics.

Yeah, but this is Civ! :) Not some action or FPS game or something. I mean, my favorite Civ game is still 4, and it has "cartoony" (whatever that means) graphics. A Civ game is all about its gameplay and underlying systems I'd say.

Yeah, but this is Civ! :) Not some action or FPS game or something. I mean, my favorite Civ game is still 4, and it has "cartoony" (whatever that means) graphics. A Civ game is all about its gameplay and underlying systems I'd say.

Sure. But you could say the same about any video game. Why are "graphics" more important in FPS's? There are tons of FPP tech demos with impressive graphics that barely have any game in them. Still it is widely known gamers love demanding "moar graphics!", and even outrage at the slight hint of a "downgrade" as was the case with TW3, which *still* had pretty fucking amazing graphics.

We know that, but really it's not surprising. Sometimes I just wonder why some people even bother with games, if all they care about are graphics and romance.

Last edited:
After seeing the larger cities in Civ VI, I agree with the cartoony art style. If they would have gone for detailed realistic looking textures, it would have started to look noisy real fast. This seems way more easier on the eyes and easier to make out distinctive buildings etc.

I think CIV V was a good compromise between the realistic and cartoony. That's the style I liked the most. But like I said, you definitely can get used to the new one.

Graphics are like any other element of the game - in Civ, of course it's not as important as gameplay mechanics, balance and design. But it's still an element that is very present, especially given how many hours you usually play the game.

Also friendly reminder: graphics != artstyle. Game can have poor graphic fidelity, but a great artstyle that makes it all look good. And vice versa.

This is really good if you're at all interested in game design or animation - Dan is an animator and is baffled by CDPR's animation systems really nice just do look a bit deeper into it all now that it's over - I've purposefully tried to stay away from critically picking W3 apart because I like it, a lot, but looking back on it there is a ton of ways that TW3 improve on RPG systems.

@Laux-Antille A really interesting examination :) I am a fan of Extra Credits and like most of their videos, but somehow YouTube did not notify me of these new ones. I love Dan's take on the animation systems as a professional himself.

This is really good if you're at all interested in game design or animation - Dan is an animator and is baffled by CDPR's animation systems really nice just do look a bit deeper into it all now that it's over - I've purposefully tried to stay away from critically picking W3 apart because I like it, a lot, but looking back on it there is a ton of ways that TW3 improve on RPG systems.

That's actually interesting, watched more than I expected to. I never looked at the animations that way, but I wouldn't say TW3 improved on RPG systems. On video game systems all around, yeah: story telling, exploration, animation apparently and even performance. Also, especially the bit of B&W I've played, they actually threw in a bit of variety and played around with some stereotypical fantasy expectations.

TW1 and TW2 were headed in the direction of actually contributing to an engrossing RPG system (quests for personality, serious resource limitations like a true witcher, meaningful witcher equipment, etc.), but certainly not TW3, despite all of its achievements as a video game.

That's actually interesting, watched more than I expected to. I never looked at the animations that way, but I wouldn't say TW3 improved on RPG systems. On video game systems all around, yeah: story telling, exploration, animation apparently and even performance. Also, especially the bit of B&W I've played, they actually threw in a bit of variety and played around with some stereotypical fantasy expectations.

TW1 and TW2 were headed in the direction of actually contributing to an engrossing RPG system (quests for personality, serious resource limitations like a true witcher, meaningful witcher equipment, etc.), but certainly not TW3, despite all of its achievements as a video game.

I do quite a bit of animation and was subconsciously noticing a lot of the things that he points out, but to have the say of a professional really let it sink in.
To be fair I am still unable to look at another RPG in the same way - Mass Effect, with which I've been obsessed with since 2008, I had completed 5 times 1-3 but upon finishing the Witcher games I cannot look at ME, Dragon Age, the Elder Scrolls etc, etc the same. I launch Skyrim, get in a fight, sigh and close the game watch two ridged Bioware characters talk and just close the game.. I dunno it's just that the Witcher as a package puts all I loved in those other games and just blows them out of the water.

TW 1 & 2 were great - But WH just encompasses so much good that I forgive it's shortcomings it's probably the most ambitious and risky RPG I've played, it's definitely not perfect but I love almost everything about it and it's quirks are pretty forgivable in my opinion.

Obviously the old classics like Balder's Gate and Planescape along with Pillar's of Eternity that has been fun and Mount & Blade is my favourite game pretty much ever, every other RPG I look at feels inferior.

Top Bottom