The General Videogame Thread

+
So I managed to call in a favour to get my hands on Kingdom Come Deliverance - Obviously it's all beta stuff but it has potential the only real issue I have with it at this moment is the example quest they give you is very poorly done, you're to find some bandit group member but I picked a character build which didn't focus on speech skills and was instantly hamstringed, you gather so little information using this build that you cannot build up any real information to work from and you end up just having to walk through the woods aimlessly until you stumble onto your objective - which for some may be fun, but for me is annoying when the woods is full of high level bandits.

Player vs group combat is hideous as it stands, you can only actively lock onto one person which it auto-locks onto but won't adjust to track the closest enemy and it's never explained nor is the control's page open at the moment to figure out how to change target, which turned out to be middle mouse and it's a bit awkward to use, combat is very fast which doesn't help in the current build of the game which suffers the classic early access 35 and below fps and oddly tanks quite heavily when other actors are in the scene ahead of you, dropping you to a lovely 27-24 fps in extremely fast and hard to predict combat.
Block is Q which stops you being able to both strafe left and block easily, it's very nasty (or it could just be my hands).
The mixture of insane motion blur and low fps is also very nauseating for me.

The game is very, very pretty as you'd expect for Cry Engine and the world looks very authentic however you can do bugger all in it, 99% of items in the world are static props, very little to interact with.
The character you play as is very dull. Beyond dull. The current dialogue is poor (But supposedly placeholder) and facial + body language animations are... Odd, lots of squash and stretch and some characters who seem able to move their entire browline right down to the skull - And the uncanny valley is very strong, everyone looks a little babyfaced.

The armor system is very cool, there is a lot of options and ways you can maximise one aspect while avoiding another, but just a note, always have a helmet otherwise you get one hit killed.

Potential here, but with Bannerlord coming soon I seriously doubt it's the M&B killer.

@Laux-Antille I'm really glad Kingdom Come still has another year left of development. Honestly, open-world RPGs must be the hardest games to develop because of their massive scope. It seems they almost always end up getting delayed or end up sucking.

TBH, I don't see Bannerlord and Kingdom Come in competition with each other. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think they'll help each other sell by creating demand for more authentic medieval games sword-fighting games. Especially with For Honor releasing early next year as well.

I hope Bannerlord and Kingdom come are huge successes on consoles. I want Taleworlds and Warhorse Studios to become big developers in the future. Especially since other open-world RPG developers have caved into mass market appeal (looking at you Bathesda and BioWare :dry: )

I'm really glad Kingdom Come still has another year left of development. Honestly, open-world RPGs must be the hardest games to develop because of their massive scope. It seems they almost always end up getting delayed or end up sucking.

TBH, I don't see Bannerlord and Kingdom Come in competition with each other. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think they'll help each other sell by creating demand for more authentic medieval games sword-fighting games. Especially with For Honor releasing early next year as well.

I hope Bannerlord and Kingdom come are huge successes on consoles. I want Taleworlds and Warhorse Studios to become big developers in the future. Especially since other open-world RPG developers have caved into mass market appeal (looking at you Bathesda and BioWare

Aye, It needs at least another year unless this preview is very outdated. I don't quite know why they seemed determined to make it on Cry Engine, I feel that it's kinda weak as Engines go, it can render some lovely graphics but I am yet to see a truely well performing Cry Engine game, it has a very poor track record with games such as Homefront and Star Citizen which both are plagued with the staple 30 and below fps issues. I feel that another engine would work better especially for the large combat scenarios and fast combat, CE seems like an odd choice to me, it's a stunning engine for making screenshot scenes, but from what I've heard its really hard to make it perform at a good level.

Hm, lots of people compare them on the terms of Medieval sandbox RPG and real-time swordplay games, obviously KCD is much more ambitious in it's system, but from what I've played that isn't necessarily a good thing. Also I've not found any weapons other than swords (and other one/two handed swinging weapons) and bows as of yet, so it's missing so much of the actual critical parts of medieval warfare, no polearms or lances for example - seeing as spears, bills and halberds were the predominant weapons on a medieval battlefield that seems odd, maybe they'll come later.

Definitely, I hope they both do well in the end, but at this point KCD is looking like the weaker of the two in all but graphics, which I care about very little.
I'll play and love them both, that's a given, I want them to succeed but my first impression of KCD is far from stellar, it's mainly the way it's designed and where the priorities seem to be, but I'll reserve my judgement of it til release.

What's with this generation and remasters? Now BioShock too. Feels like there's a dip in creativity.

This entire thing has just been embarrassing.

So I managed to call in a favour to get my hands on Kingdom Come Deliverance - Obviously it's all beta stuff but it has potential the only real issue I have with it at this moment is the example quest they give you is very poorly done, you're to find some bandit group member but I picked a character build which didn't focus on speech skills and was instantly hamstringed, you gather so little information using this build that you cannot build up any real information to work from and you end up just having to walk through the woods aimlessly until you stumble onto your objective - which for some may be fun, but for me is annoying when the woods is full of high level bandits.

Player vs group combat is hideous as it stands, you can only actively lock onto one person which it auto-locks onto but won't adjust to track the closest enemy and it's never explained nor is the control's page open at the moment to figure out how to change target, which turned out to be middle mouse and it's a bit awkward to use, combat is very fast which doesn't help in the current build of the game which suffers the classic early access 35 and below fps and oddly tanks quite heavily when other actors are in the scene ahead of you, dropping you to a lovely 27-24 fps in extremely fast and hard to predict combat.
Block is Q which stops you being able to both strafe left and block easily, it's very nasty (or it could just be my hands).
The mixture of insane motion blur and low fps is also very nauseating for me.

The game is very, very pretty as you'd expect for Cry Engine and the world looks very authentic however you can do bugger all in it, 99% of items in the world are static props, very little to interact with.
The character you play as is very dull. Beyond dull. The current dialogue is poor (But supposedly placeholder) and facial + body language animations are... Odd, lots of squash and stretch and some characters who seem able to move their entire browline right down to the skull - And the uncanny valley is very strong, everyone looks a little babyfaced.

The armor system is very cool, there is a lot of options and ways you can maximise one aspect while avoiding another, but just a note, always have a helmet otherwise you get one hit killed.

Potential here, but with Bannerlord coming soon I seriously doubt it's the M&B killer.
That sounds really rough.

Just finished playing Spec Ops: The Line. Pretty great campaign. :)
I really enjoyed that one.

That sounds really rough.

I think I may have over-criticised it, I love it (apart from what I said about the protagonist - That statement I will keep) it's rough around the edges but lovable, I just wish they'd optimise it.. It's going to be a uphill struggle getting that to work well performance wise, as low fps and complex melee is beyond silly, need 50 at least.

I bought GTA5 on PC. I always wanted to play a competent Rockstar game on PC. So far, not bad. Hilariously. it recalls my profile from like 6 years ago when I tried GTA4. I hate how permanent profiles are. Wouldn't it be safer to just erase player info after no activity for 'x' amount of time? But, what the hell, it certainly plays better than the abysmal GTA4.

Last edited:
All my aussie and american friends are going crazy over the release of Pokemon Go. Meanwhile, in Europe I am crying tears of blood. Why does Nintendo hate us

I must be getting old but I don't quite get the point of Pokemon Go. Granted, I just heard about it now and read like two paragraphs.

The point is you walk around parks or the city center (watch out for cars I guess...) holding your phone (not too strange anyway) and events are triggered by approaching real life locations? And then you do the usual Pokemon thing and move on, wandering around? In other words, regular Pokemon but walking instead of sitting?

I must be getting old but I don't quite get the point of Pokemon Go. Granted, I just heard about it now and read like two paragraphs.

The point is you walk around parks or the city center (watch out for cars I guess...) holding your phone (not too strange anyway) and events are triggered by approaching real life locations? And then you do the usual Pokemon thing and move on, wandering around? In other words, regular Pokemon but walking instead of sitting?

The point of Pokemon Go

Inspired by a video on YouTube, we've started using Worms Armageddon to "simulate" battles between teams consisting of Witcherverse members. Five computer teams, plus one team that we control.
Our team, "Civilians" (Gossip, Poor Girl, Poor Boy etc.), don't use actual weapons (bazooka, bombs, airstrikes etc.) but make very heavy use of blowtorches, pneumatic drills, baseball bats, pokes and ninja ropes. It's tons of fun. :D

Nothing like hitting a home run or blowtorching enemy worms into the water. :p

Last edited:
I must be getting old but I don't quite get the point of Pokemon Go.
Google's involved, so I'm betting something sinister like population control. Or maybe that's just an unintended side effect.

MEYYBE IF I DRIVEZ WHILE I POKEMONZ, I CANN CATCH A CHARIZARD IN HEVEN

Broforce supposedly got an update, but it's not out on GOG yet.

Bro Lee, Tank Bro and Dirty Brorry were added. Snake Broskin got upgraded as well.

Announcement of "BUG FIXES" in that voice is hilarious ;D

Last edited:
Broforce supposedly got an update, but it's not out on GOG yet.

Bro Lee, Tank Bro and Dirty Brorry were added. Snake Broskin got upgraded as well.

Announcement of "BUG FIXES" in that voice is hilarious ;D

Lol. That was awesome. Sold. Looks like a better version of Not a Hero.

Lol. That was awesome. Sold. Looks like a better version of Not a Hero.

You didn't play it yet? I thought I was the only late comer here, since I got it when it came out on GOG. Somehow they managed to make a great game. Bros who are made after classic action film characters are huge part of the charm, and they each have their own play-style and special abilities. Plus interesting mechanics like destroyable levels add to the fun.

Did you see the original trailer?

Last edited:
A very good article about Devolver Digital, and how they are practically a complete antithesis of legacy publishers. (Despite the site, the article is actually well written and insightful).

After reading this, I'm not surprised that games published by Devolver Digitial are usually DRM-free and released for Linux.

That is a great article, but I defiantly would not have thought to find it, there let alone a Gaming news tab.

Top Bottom